what can you uses other then sugar cane

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by lillypilly, Aug 9, 2005.

1. lillypilly

lillypilly Junior Member

hello everyone,
    well i sure you dont all live next door to Lindas garden, where she grows sugar cane and lemon grass to keep out the running grasses. we are down south near albany west oz and have a cool and a few frosts climate. what have you people used instead. the comfery is going well at the moment however it still it the garden shed until the frost are away........... thanks for any ideas :lol:

2. Guest

3. Franceyne

Franceyne Junior Member

I think Lillypilly is looking for ideas for keeping invasive running grasses (i.e. couch or kikuyu grass) out of the garden/vegi beds in the cooler temperate areas of Australia...

I'm lucky that I don't have any such grasses as our place is nestled in the bush and we do not have lawns - however this was not always the case. When we have lived in places with lawns that wanted to take over I opted to having a boarder of railway sleepers and logs all around the edge of my vegetable gardens. These boarders were buried into the ground by about ten centimetres. The beds were raised (a no-dig type in one place and the second was built up with soil brought in from another more fertile part of the farm). These barriers stopped the grass from invading, but I had to keep an eye on the spots where the sleepers and/or logs met - the grass would sneak in between.

I hope this information is of some help Lillypilly (-:

4. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

There was a reference to that in Gaia's Garden, but the only ones that I can remember is Comfrey and Knifophia. Maybe someone here who has the book can find the others. I'm faintly remembering it's around page 117 or 127 or 137 or something. Maybe.

Sue