What can I expect from Permaculture?

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by dreamlocal, Aug 25, 2008.

1. dreamlocal

dreamlocal New Member

Hello! I'm new on the board :)
    Well, I wanted to fulfill my curiosities on Permaculture!

In the last few years I've been getting acquianted with the "global realities" of our world...
    Peak Oil, Infinite growth economy on a finite resource base, Social Inequality, destruction of the biosphere, to name a few...
    all very painful, yet all pervasive parts of our lives.

From my personal point of view, the world is in times of change, as can be related to Permaculture in David Holmgren's web site https://www.futurescenarios.org/ ...

For me, seems to me that an important step towards a more resilient way of life would be to build some sort of food self-sufficient "prototype" homestead...
    That would be easy to duplicate and be maintained with minimum knowledge and experience by other people in the local rural community, surrounding such "prototype".

Looks like it would be effective in giving local food supply resilience in the face of global - national social disruptions, and give a headstart to an better, alternative way of life.

I live in Venezuela, my homestead would be located in the foothills of the Andes, around 1500mt above sea - around 20 CÂș average temp all year.
    I have a list of "requirements" that seem important in building such a prototype...

-Make initial inputs as minimum as possible (earth moving, initial organic fertilizer etc.)
    -Closed cycled nutrients, minimal external inputs (in any case, from local area): Pesticides, Fertilizer, Machinery, Fuel.
    -High productivity, minimum time, can have normal to high physical labor: Call me lazy, but I dream of basic production (hey, food self reliance only), possible in just a 4-5 hours of intensive labor per day, per family... Time, not to do nothing... but to study, research, improve the very methods of production, teach food self-reliance skills to others, create and nurture the emerging alternative culture, express creativity, build and enjoy relationships and local community, enjoy life in general.
    -Long term sustainability, as in centuries, building up the soil always, zero waste.

How feasible is the "prototype" thing?
    How can Permaculture help me in this? Is it compatible with biointensive production systems?
    What can you say I can expect? Hows the experience of Permaculture in the Tropics?

Thanks in Advance :D

2. barely run

barely run Junior Member

Re: What can I expect from Permaculture?

your best bet as a start i think would be to do an archive search on this site for Chris...he's in Belize. Also look into Joel...aquaponics. otherwise just browse the site......heaps of stuff here.
    Cathy

3. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

Re: What can I expect from Permaculture?

whatever yu do keep it simple and use loads of common sense, which is basically what pc is all about.

len