Wet feet - Brisbane

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by bazman, Dec 19, 2010.

1. bazman

bazman Junior Member

Hi All

We are having one of our wettest spring/summers ever here, our food forest is so water logged, I have stopped all my vegi plantings as they just dry within two days, most of my garden beds are just slightly raised because most of the time it's hot and dry with short wet periods. This his been a long wet (months), with the wind and storms in between to help blow over a few pawpaw and tamarillo's, all my citrus and other tree's are coping with wet feet so far. The only good thing is I have left the weeds around the trees as they are help soak up some of this wet.

If your on the east coast of Australia with wet soggy feet how are you coping?

2. geoff

geoff Junior Member

West of the great divide here, and we're having a very wet year (compared to normal. I'm guessing it would be nothing compared to your idea of wet!)

All of the trees have put on a foot or more of growth thanks to finally having some subsoil moisture. The only downside (so far) is the loss of a bed of grape cuttings thanks to waterlogging.

3. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

I envy you. I am still waiting for my very wet wet. But i believe you guys normally get yours before us anyway.

Are you making water catchments to catch and hold all this water? I suppose your tanks are already full. How do you normally cope with water through the dry spells? Are you able to conserve enough for your needs?

Sorry i don't have any useful advice for you. Maybe later you will have some for me. :)

4. Fernando Pessoa

Fernando Pessoa Junior Member

I am having a wonderful season this year,my garden is almost completely tropical and sub tropical perennials.I dont usually bother at all with annuals.My only regret this year is that the rain rotted all mango flowers...so no delicious mangos...the lord giveth ......I also have a 90000 litre aquaculture system,it's been a boon for it,the constant rain has been free flushing the system and the Taro and Coco yam have never been better.God bless climate change .I am also getting a foot per week growth of my textillis bamboo...sorry for boasting but its a good year!!!South East Qld here
    Best Wishes Fernando

5. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    Ah come on Fernado!!!
    How come your not telling us all about it over in the members system?

I love feeling jealous of all of you who are in sub/tropical exotic places that I only get to dream about.
    I might be in a cool mountainous climate but it really does help me when I heare about what others are doing and why.
    Seems to help get our place in perspective.

6. bazman

bazman Junior Member

I have a 2meg dam and 500m of swales and drains, they were full before all this rain started. I also have 100k in rain water tanks that were also full.

We seem to get 50-60mm every second day making it hard for things to dry out, I have quite a lot of water sitting around the bases of my 90+ fruit trees, we are dry a lot of the time here with fast heavy events of summer rain so I don't use raised garden beds or raised systems here. My food forest is designed to hold water in the ground, but it's just so much water than normal over a long period. Walking around the grassed paths you sink 20mm with each step.

My chickens were wishing they were ducks.

7. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Senior Member

Im happy this year and so are all my plants,everything is green and growing all my tanks are overflowing.
    Last year things where dying and I had to go on town water.