weedkillers ...Len

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by ~Tullymoor~, Oct 22, 2005.

1. ~Tullymoor~

~Tullymoor~ Junior Member

Was going to come here and ask is there a "natural" weedkiller anyone knows of that actually works. Sorry to say but two week old urine did NOT kill my weeds :oops:
    I got the cyber-wanders and ended up at Gardenlen's tips page of his site and found this (Len, if you want me to remove this and just provide a link just let me know, k?)
    Have you used it? Does it really work?? Cos I am going to work every day now the weeds in our scoria courtyard thingy are getting on top of me. Also, if it is effective I'd be willing to lash out on bigger amounts of ingredients so as to do a fair bit of the cape weed.

Len's weedkiller recipe>>>>>

WEED KILLERS

Mix 1 gallon white vinegar, 1 cup table salt, and 1 tablespoon dishwashing liquid together and spray on weeds. To do so, remove approximately 2 cups of vinegar from the jug, pour in the salt and dishwashing liquid, then return the 2 cups of vinegar to the jug. Close the lid and shake to mix. Transfer to a spray bottle (after shaking to mix the ingredients) as needed. It works as well, if not better, than Chemicals, but is much cheaper. Be careful, it will kill whatever you spray it on!
    If you go purchase vinegar, 10% acidity, 20% acid would be better, and spray it on the weeds in the heat of the full sun, you will have an effective weed killer.

2. christopher

christopher Junior Member

Tullymoor (D),

Someone posted recently about a pine resin based weed kiler. I know nothing about it, myself, but I know that the synthetic types are no good (Steve Irwin says "Dainja, dainja, DAINJA!")

C

3. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

g'day tully,

posting the recipe is fine, sorry that i have never had to try it in my system i don't realy have weeds, but you never know if ever i need to try something reckon i'll be giving it a go. vinegar of course is a very good weedicide as is salt and boiling water is another good one.

len 8)

4. Richard on Maui

Richard on Maui Junior Member

What about flaming them? I know it isn't what you are on about, but would it work for what you are looking for? I think one of the northern rivers shires, near Byron Bay started doing it instead of using roundup due to community pressure. Not sure if they still use it. You aren't actually burning the weeds, but subjecting them to so high a temperature that they sort of melt? Sorry that this is as technical as I can be on this particular subject!

5. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Junior Member

if you spray the weed killer on weeds in the garden between roses surely it would damage the roses aswell even though they were't sprayed directly but the solution nwould go into the soil and the rose roots would suck it up too. or am off course here? :?

6. biofarmag

biofarmag Junior Member

If you use salt on your soil, you'll damage it. Simple as that! Salt is bad for soil. Soil + salt = problems, maybe for a long time. Why would anybody think it was bad to use roundup, yet good to use salt? As for human toxicity, I'd rather drink a litre of roundup than eat a kg of salt. It's a FACT that salt is far more toxic to humans than roundup will ever be. All of this is despite the effects on the soil.

As for burning weeds, I attended a demonstration of a gas-powered "weeder" once. If you tried to weed your paddock with that thing, you'd be old and grey by the time you'd finished. It took AGES to make a bit of pigweed shrivel. And about a week later, the pigweed was back to normal. Very few things are killed that way. You may fry the tops, but you do very little to what's under the ground.

If you want to kill weeds and don't want to use chemicals, why don't you either (a) pull them out, or (b) smother them with something? If the roots are pointing skywayds, you know you've had a successful kill.

7. grease

grease Junior Member

weedkillers len

What weeds are you trying to rid yourself from? The 'cure' depends upon the 'disease'.Steiner says that the 'weeds' are colonisers and are there to start putting back the basic missing nutrients, So making a stew of the weeds and applying it to the area will fix the nutrient deficiency and hence get rid of the 'weeds'. Fukuoka says he doesn't garden without weeds! It's all relative. See what works for you.

8. ~Tullymoor~

Okey dokey, I'll keep pulling 'em out by hand, save the salt and vinegar for my fish'n'chips :D

9. hedwig

hedwig Junior Member

I think that salt damages the soil but not as much as roundup. Roundup is said to be one of the causes of the worldwide death from amphibes, and it is very closely linked to gentechnology (I hope it is understandable)
    In northern countries they throw heaps of salt every winter on the roads, which is not good at all, but we still have trees. The recipie sounds very good to me, so it'll be worth telling it at your city council to use it instead of roundup (better letting some weeds)
    here is a link, but the site is in german:
    https://www.heise.de/tp/r4/artikel/20/20660/1.html

10. biofarmag

biofarmag Junior Member

I can assure you there is FAR more loss of productive agricultural land from salt than there is from roundup. And you'd need to drink around 8 litres of straight roundup to kill the average adult. That which has been diluted with water in a spraytank, you'd need to drink maybe 400 litres. There's no medical evidence of any ill-effects whatsoever, long term or short term, despite plenty of research.

Whereas there's quite a LOT of data on health risks associated with too much ingested salt, and around 200 grams of the stuff can kill an adult. And there's more than enough evidence of salt-damaged land in this country to convince most people that they shouldn't be plonking it onto their soil.

11. Franceyne

Franceyne Junior Member

Hey there Tully, I have a cure for weeds and it's (relatively) cheap & good for your health :D

A Working Bee!

You invite people around to help pull weeds, make a day of it - good for your health because there will be lots of laughing and good company :lol:

You put on a big pot of veggie soup - from your garden = cost small :D

Cheers,
    Fran.

12. ~Tullymoor~

:lol: :lol: :lol: Good one Fran!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now, just need to "roundup" some friends... :wink:

13. earthbound

earthbound Junior Member

I feel that your statements could be a bit misleading biofarmag.

Firstly, a small dose of salt onto a normal area of land with healthy drainage will not cause much damage, if any at all. The salt damage to agricultural land that your refering to is a totally different story, this is not caused by people putting salt onto their land, and is totally unrelated. These are salts brought up to the soil surface by raised water tables, salts that are naturally in the soils as a healthy part of the soil and subsoil.

It's only when these salts become disolved in the rising water table and concentrated in the top area of the rising water table as it's less dense than unsalty water. These natural soil salts are then concentrated further into low lying areas with the water flow....

Salt affected land has not had salt poured onto it by people! The salt is and has always been naturaly in the soil, so I fail to see how you can demonise it stating it's worse than roundup... Salinity problems are caused be excessive clearing and poor farming practices. It's not the salts fault, it's ours.........!

And the round up? Well I heard all of those sensationalist stories when I was in Tech studying horticulture, I didn't believe them then, and I still don't believe them now... I'd like to know where you got the figures on roundups toxicology levels....?????

I am yet to meet a person who has even had a sip of diluted roundup, let alone hundreds of litres... I am wondering where you get the information
    In a very quick search I found this info on roundups toxisity
    If salt is so bad, why isn't everthing dying where they pour enormous amounts of salt onto the roads to stop ice, as Hedwig had mentioned....?
    Once again, it's humans that are the case of salinity problems, not the salt itself....

ROUNDUP IS NOT SAFE.......!!!!!!!!!!!

Joel

14. christopher

Just some thoughts from the dumping ground of stupid tyechnology, the "Third World", but Roundup definitely kills people. People here use Roundup and Gramoxone to kill themselves. If life gets too hard, drinking Gramoxone is the preferred method of commiting suicide. Tho they are not %100 effective, plenty of people in Central America die every year from intentional ingestion of herbicides (including Round Up), and insecticides.

It takes a lot less than 8 liters for someone to kill themselves!

An old man in the village here drank some herbicide by accident, thinking was some herbal medicine. The problem was that they call also call herbicides "medicine", and his wife handed him the wrong bottle. It was accidental, and he died within 24 hours. I do not know if it was Gramoxone or Round Up.

We know someone with severe neurological dosorders from repeated exposure to herbicides. He shuffles, has very poor motor coordination, is unitelligible when speaking often, and he sold the stuff for about 13 years.

He is in denial, and his family, who support themselves by selling these chemicals, says he had a stroke (he's not older than 54). I am not a doctor, but to me it looks like classic symptoms of poisoning. If you read about symptopms of neurological damage from herbicides, he's got 'em.

Check Rachel Carsons "Silent Spring" for more information on symptoms (among others, but hers was the first, the most beautifully and convincingly written tome on the problems of these chemicals).

Also, check https://www.healthnatural.com.au/news_page_1.htm for an artticle about Roundup toxicity.

I'd prefer extra salt on my fries than any amount of Round Up, personally!

I am not a scientist or doctor, but plenty of anecdotal evidence I have seen here over the years tells me Round Up is dangerous. I haven't heard of killing ones self by salt overdose :lol: !

C

15. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

Below is an interesting site on the toxicology of RoundUp (et al). What is even more interesting is that they also discuss the toxicology of the "inert" ingredients that are mixed with RoundUp. These so-called "inert" ingredients are often far more toxic than the RoundUp itself. And, as they say, evaluating an ingredient without recognizing how it is used can give a false sense of security.

This is quite readable, and interesting.

https://www.mindfully.org/Pesticide/Roun ... et-Cox.htm

Sue

16. biofarmag

biofarmag Junior Member

Roundup has an LD50 of 10,000mg/kg of body weight. Look at the amount of glyphosate in mg per L in a Roundup product, and do the sums. That's where I got the figure from. Sodium Chloride, incidentally, has an LD50 of 1,000mg/kg of body weight.

If you believe that salt is safe as a weedicide, then try it. Toss some salt on a weed, and see how well grass grows back in that area. Go for your lives! Sodium Chloride is Sodium Chloride. The effects are the same whether it rises from the watertable, or is applied via saline water, or is tossed onto the soil. Don't believe me? Try it out.

17. baldcat

baldcat Junior Member

Hey Tully, put on a couple of slabs and I'm there :), I'll pass on the soup..

18. christopher

I wouldn't put salt on the earth, myself, but I sure wouldn't use round up, let alone drink it.

Round Up kills people. Period. No ands, ifs, buts about it. Despite industry statements to the contrary, I know of people who have died from drinking it. I wouldn't touch Round Up with a ten foot pole with condoms on both ends. Anyone who drinks the stuff wants to end their lives. Some of them will get their wishes.

I think it is irresponsible to say that Round Up is safe, but that's just me. I would state here, now, that noone should consider Round Up safe, no matter who says its safe, because it simply is not. It kills grass, it kills insects, it gives rats cancer. Round Up is known to contain endocrine disruptors (scary shit there, not as esoteric as I used to think) which causes damage to the endocrine glands -- including the pituitary, thyroid, adrenal, thymus, pancreas, ovaries, and testes and gives alligators smaller dicks, what makes anyone think its safer for humans?

It takes a lot less than 8 litres of round up to kill you, and even exposure of small amounts over long terms runs the risk of serious health problems, including neurological damage, reproductive harm and cancer.

I totally disagree with the idea that Roud Up is safe and think you do readers of this forum a grave disservice to suggest it is safe.

Round Up is dangerous.

19. earthbound

earthbound Junior Member

If you do a little research, the figures are not a case of ten fold difference in the LD50 toxicity, this is probably another piece of misinformation brought out by the producers or their 'testing bodies' they employ to provide the test results they want to hear.

LD50 of glysophate for rats, oral consumption, 4,320 mg kg
    LD50 of sodium chloride for rats, oral consumption, 3000 mg kg

Very close to each other, but that is just the glyphosate, then there are the other 'inert' chemicals mixed into the products along with the glyphosate, some of which have horrendous side effects..
    Check the link Sue gave in her post for a round up of some of these effects.
    https://www.mindfully.org/Pesticide/Roundup-Glyphosate-Factsheet-Cox.htm Theres some interesting info there.

I have no interest in spreading salt or glysophate around my yard personally, I don't have 'weed' problems. But, sodium chloride is in our soils naturally, it's all around us, and within our bodies, without it we would die...

Glyphosate is a toxic man made product that is entering our foodchains, destroying biodiversity, and poisoning us.....

20. biofarmag

biofarmag Junior Member

No one drinks the stuff, and most people would find it fairly unpleasant to drink litres and litres of the stuff if they wished to commit suicide. A bullet would be much quicker. And even if it WAS poisonous at 1 or 2 litres, who cares really? A wheat grower may apply 3 litres (diluted) on a hectare of land through a boomspray whilst sitting in a closed-cab tractor. Is it going to kill him? I doubt it. By applying his 3 litres of roundup, as distinct from using cultivation, he will: (a) save umpteen megalitres of diesel fuel, (b) save TONNES of soil loss through erosion, and (c) conserve mycorrhizal fungi, as well as countless other species of beneficial organism, and (d) conserve humus/organic carbon. Maybe quaffing straight roundup causes cancer in rats? Sunshine causes skin cancer. Eggs increase cholesterol. Walking in front of a bus may well kill you. Used in a sensible manner, glyphosate is a very positive thing. Yes, it's man-made. People used to use tobacco products and arsenic as insecticides. All very natural. I know what I'D feel more comfortable with.

Oh, and Christopher? You and I must have different types of friends. None of MY friends have died from drinking roundup. They tend not to see a chemical bottle and think "Gosh, THAT looks tasty.....might as well drink a few litres of it". What were the circumstances in which several people you knew died from drinking roundup? Were they at a roundup-drinking party? Or were they seperate incidents?