Website technical stuff....

Discussion in 'General chat' started by earthbound, Nov 1, 2005.

1. earthbound

earthbound Junior Member

I have my site hosted on iinet and I have my domain https://www.backyardaquaponics.com registered through enetica.com. Enetica give me some dodgey redirect which opens my site up in a frame, which is fine, except that I hate frames, and you can't reload pages etc... IInet want to charge a couple of hundred bucks a year to host my domain properly, do you know of a cheaper way of doing it??

I didn't want to leave iinet as I've got a fair few other people linking to my members.iinet.au/~jmalcolm.. Is this a problem or are there redirects that can be put into place for that sort of thing, like having your mail redirected when you move house....??.

Any ideas on what is the best way to go?? Should I just be paying iinet a couple of hundred bucks a year extra?

Joel

2. baldcat

baldcat Junior Member

ok so your talking about your DOMAIN hosting or DNS ??Basiclly you should be payine much more than $20 - $40 a year for DNS hosting, as this is just your domain name being made available to the rest of the world via DNS (Domain Name Service)

Ok so you can do acouple of things...
    1. Move your live site and get a package from a hosting company. ie MDHOSTING where they will host your name on their OWN servers and they can also host your site. then on the iinet hosting *that you get free) have your index.html (or which eva) page have this code..
    Code:
     joels redirect 

So when ever someone goes to your old site not via the B'Y'A' URL they will redirected to it.. I have a script somewhere that you could use as well that actually pauses for a little bit and tells them that the site has moved and that they will be redirected automaticlly.

2. Get your name hosted elsewhere (shouldn't cost much, certainly not over a hundred dollars). You should normally get a control panel of some sort where you can redirect to the current website.. However this sounds similar to what you have.

If you are seriuos about getting a good site up and running, with maybe the prospect for including some dynamic features such as news and articles or maybe online sales.. the first option is the best choice..

In Perth there are a number of great hosts and design companies.. Many of them are very WA Business Friendly and you woul probably see yourself getting a good deal.

*** I am in no means profit from MDHOSTING **** I simply use them myself after years of using a host in Canada and the UK.. MD have simply been better priced and have better service.
    I can also recomend this guy for professional design work. At pretty good prices.
    https://www.stuartcox.com.au/

3. earthbound

earthbound Junior Member

Thanks Dan.......... :D

Yes, I thought DNS is what I had got, but instead I get a poor excuse for it. I'll check out exactly what my deal was that I signed up for with the enetica mob, I do get the control panel which is quite handy, I can see where all of the traffic has been coming from, and it keeps monthy hit totals etc.... Man, the amount of hits coming from the hydroponic pot growing sites... :hippy2:

I guess ultimately I'll go for my hosting with someone else, in the long run, I'm rapidly running out of room on iinet, and I figured 200 bucks extra a year was a bit ritzy for their hosting and DNS.. I'll just keep them as my provider....

Duuurrrrrrrrr....... I have made a redirection page before myself for the company I used to work for, I had forgot all about it. https://members.iinet.net.au/~ejelect/home.html

For the moment I'm going to leave my site as is for design and content, it's easy to look after, and easy to add more if I want to.. If things begin to take off I might start looking at revising it, but for the moment with low volumes, sales through paypal works and doesn't cost much, not like merchant accounts to accept cards through your site..

Good to see stuart cox has a sense of humour.... :lol: :lol: :lol: