Wanted: Pond Building Advice

Discussion in 'Designing, building, making and powering your life' started by Jono, May 19, 2006.

1. Jono

Jono New Member

Im making a small pond set into stone terraced slope and fed by roof water nearby. Im planning on using the field stone that is abundant here on-site. the pond will be part of the terrace it is set into. Im not sure whether I should build up the stone with or with out concrete to stabilize it. It will be about 3 feet high (1 meter) and higher in the back where the next terrace is. Another question is whether the pond should be lined with a plastic liner or a layer of concrete to seal it. Id rather use a liner but Im worried that the stone will be a problem against it. I've built larger ponds with natural clay seals and larger garden ponds with plastic/carpet sandwich, but this is a much smaller space. Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks

2. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

G'day Jono, welcome to the PRI discussion forum :)

Here in Australia we have the great privilage of being able to view a wonderful TV program (and/or read the mirror magazine) called 'Gardening Australia' via our national broadcaster, the ABC. Nearly every week there is a reference made to Permaculture by one of the presenters, a delightful chap by the name of Josh Byrne. Josh has totally retro-fitted his entire suburban garden according to the principles of Permaculture. You can learn all about the pond that Josh designed and built for his garden here:

https://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s1175687.htm

I'm sure you will find this article (and all of the others in the series that you can view via the ABC site) of great interest.

Cheerio, and happy pond-building,

Mark.

3. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

Juno,

I think any pond building sites will tell you not to mix rocks & plastic liners.
    Having made both types - concrete is permanent.

floot