Wanted - Financial assistance to seed a permaculture village

Discussion in 'Jobs, projects, courses, training, WWOOFing, volun' started by ecodharmamark, Jun 18, 2006.

1. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

News update:

Greenedge Ethical no longer exists:

Greenedge Ethical IPO share applications to be refunded and offer withdrawn

However the development arm of Greenedge still appears to be in operation:

Welcome to Greenedge

One particular 'ecovillage' development that I have been following is the Cape Patterson Ecovillage project. This particular development appears to have stalled at the statutory planning phase of the proposal:

[URL="https://www.dse.vic.gov.au/Shared/ats.nsf/WebViewUniqueID/b22882a3e46e008eca25750700762878?OpenDocument&fromSearch&Click=CA256DC800080C18.476caac79d318ee2ca256dee001434f7/$Body/0.5938]Bass Coast Planning Scheme - Amendment CO53[/URL].

I have a keen interest in the above as I will probably use it as a 'case study' in a (future) paper that I am working on. This study will continue in the vein of my over-arching research interest: How sustainable are rural-based ecovillages?

So many existing research findings to analyse, so much empirical data to collect, so many papers to write... leaves me to wonder where I will find the time to continue and develop our own urban ecovillage.

Cheerio all, Markus.

2. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

I had shares in greenridge.
    Then . . nothing. . .

3. qis

qis Junior Member

Hi, I'm one of a few planning a 100% sustainable and self-sufficient permaculture community. I'm keen to hear from others who are doing it or are interested in doing it.

4. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

500 people donate $5 a month; the price of a large coffee.
    In one year you have $2500x 12 =$30,000

500 people donate $5 a week; the price of a large coffee.
    $25,000 x52 =$1,300 000
    Year two
    Interest + 1.3m
    year three etc
    Perhaps you pick a number out of a hat 1-500; that person gets back $5,000 for his /her donation and still has 1/500th of final goal.

500 is a lot of people, 100 is a nice number-- a centurion?

Getting people to part with money is not easy. You have to think of a way they can make money by giving you some. That is what a franchise is.

5. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year
  6. ecodharmamark

G'day all

Time for my (roughly) annual update:

I have now completed the BUREP. Next year I will return to La Trobe and complete the MCPD (of which because of my already 4-years completed as an undergrad, I only have to do one more year of coursework). My minor thesis will revolve around cohousing. Specifically, how effective is it at achieving positive quadruple bottom line outcomes, and does the concept meet with much resistance from a statutory planning perspective? This body of work will roll into a PhD thesis (beginning 2012), and will broaden to encompass the wider scope of IC (intentional community) in the Australian setting.

Between now and the beginning of the 2011 academic year, I will continue to undertake research as a private consultant, working in the role of research assistant to my primary mentor, and professor of community planning and development, Trevor Budge. This work thus far has seen us undertaking some preliminary research into the role that the metropolitan-wide planning strategies of several dozen 'global' and 'world' cities play in the conceptual paradigm of 'food systems'. Also we have been undertaking some private research into the role that planning jurisdictions play with regards to the issue of protecting prime agricultural land from conversion into land used for purposes other than for agricultural production. I have a couple of other research themes in play, too, but more about them later. As I have always promised in the past, when our work is eventually published in the public domain, I will make sure that you are all among the first to see it.

On the home front, involvement with my local community continues to evolve/splinter into many subsets. Next year will see me continue to work very closely within the local planning community, which of course means that I will continue to work with local people; by addressing planning matters on a scale from local to global, and with issues that concern us all. You have been reading my posts for long enough now to know the kind of stuff we do - everything from helping local groups get their planning permit for a community garden, right through to offering up large policy submissions to global entities.

I'm looking forward to a couple of field trips early in the year (well, they are actually a wedding and a conference, and in that order. But I never let trivial matters get in the way of the first rule of permaculture: observe and interact): The first is to Ballina (NSW), the second is to Hobart (TAS). These are both beautiful regions, with many great socio-ecological attractions. Maybe I'll bump into you in the street, if you live in or near one of these regions (but be warned, I do not resemble in the slightest my avatar)?

I maintain the dream of one day returning to live in the midst of an IC, but for the time being we (my close family and I) continue to convert the .4 ha we currently call home into something more sustainable than how we found it 5-plus years ago. The fact that we have had double our average annual rainfall this past calendar year means that the task has been somewhat easier of late. But don't be fooled into a false sense of security by our current weather patterns, my friends. I have it on good authority that the La Nina ENSO complex that has bought us this bountiful rain (and snow, for our northern hemisphere friends) is due to collapse and put us straight back into an El Nino - and for how long, who knows? Maybe it will be a very long time before I see it this soakingly wet again...

Anyway, enough banter from me. I wish you a simply superb mid-summer/winter period, and trust that you will make the most of the festive season with those that you love. And don't forget, true community is all around you. We survived eons as a species devoted to our communities prior to evolving into a sub-species that is the selfish variety (at least as far as most affluent societies are concerned) we are today - and all we need to do in order to rekindle that position of mutualism, is reach out and interact with the 'strangers' in our community.

Well, its time for bed (or at least time to read another couple of chapters), peace and love to you all, Mark.

7. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

I don't know quite what you mean by la nina collapsing. I've learned from reading on the net that a la nina year occurs about once every 10 years.

8. ecodharmamark

G'day sunburn

Quite right. Historically, La Nina conditions have visited the Pacific approximately every ten years (give or take a year or two). By 'collapse', I meant that rather than a 'gradual decline' (as the Bureau are projecting, based on their modeling analysis: see link below), the current La Nina will diminish quite rapidly and we will swing straight back into a severe El Nino event. I am further predicting, based on the projections of my source (who, I am unable to reveal for personal reasons), that the next ENSO cycle is likely to last well beyond the average ten years, for reasons too complex to mention in detail here, suffice to say - climate change is upon us!

Strong La NiƱa event continues in the Pacific

Peace to you, and all my NQ friends and family, Markos.

9. INNOVERTS

INNOVERTS Junior Member

Hey mark
    thanks for your offer i need people like you around me.i am interested to be part of the project i have 10 acre land near town area and another near source of a river.curently i am planning to start spirulina (algae) farming with an intetion to venture in various fields.any assistance will be of great help to me.

10. whs

whs Junior Member

IC intentional community? Theres a pretty broad range of intentions in society and in permaculturalists, and multiple layers, with deeply hidden intentions.
    You looked into steiner? or biodynamics? One line there is that "Community strength is courtesy of how much the individuals give to the community"
    ie people who come to communities to get things (or take) weaken and undermine the common good.
    Then the problem of living together,.. who puts out the rubbish, who drinks the last beer,.. needs a strong group.
    So it would have to begin with people who wanted to work together? For some unselfish ideal?

11. ecodharmamark

G'day whs

Welcome to the PRI Forum.

Agree (generally). Your last line is probably the most telling, however, of what IC is all about: "...it would have to begin with people who wanted to work together ... [f]or some unselfish ideal". Herein lies the difference between intentional community, and non-intentional (or circumstantial) community. In an IC, people have a strong desire, an intention to work together. Generally speaking, in circumstantial community (better known as society, and particularly that of the industrial kind) people tend to be in it for themselves. Nothing new here, Ferdinand Toennies (1855-1936) covered it well in Gemeinschaft und Gesellschaft. In essence, what we (IC-thinking and advocating people) are really talking about here, is the concept of mutualism. For an expansion on this ideal, see: Kropotkin (1842-1921).

To Steiner, and by extension, biodynamics:

We have a few practicing advocates here at the PRI Forum, perhaps they might like to share their views on its role in IC? It's not my forte.

Personally, I believe there is room in Mandala Town for all forms of thought, because through diversity of thought comes (eventually) community cohesion, resilience and ultimately, the strength to go on into an uncertain future.

Others that continue to inspire me in this area (in no particular order) are:

Murray Bookchin (1921-2006)

Lewis Mumford (1895-1990)

Patrick Geddes (1854-1932)

Prof Stuart B. Hill

David Holmgren

Jane Jacobs (1916-2006)

Erwin Gutkind (1886-1968)

Kathryn McCamant & Charles Durrett

Alexander et al

...and on and on it (the list) goes

Cheerio, Markos