WANTED: European Night Crawlers

Discussion in 'Buy, sell, trade, give away & exchange' started by secs, Sep 21, 2011.

1. secs

secs Junior Member

Hi all.

I am adding to my worm beds and am after some European Night Crawlers to see how they go. Does anyone want to sell any of these or know where I can get some without having to buy them in punnets as sold to fishermen?

Peter

2. briansworms

briansworms Junior Member

Hello Peter,

Any reason you are after European Night Crawlers? Do you live in a cooler climate?

Brian
    [email protected]

3. secs

secs Junior Member

Hi Brian.

Yes I do live in a cooler area but the place where they are kept is air conditioned as well. I had never really heard of them and am interested in just seeing how they go.

Pete

4. briansworms

I am not sure whether you can buy them in Australia. Never seen them advertised here

Brian:):)

5. briansworms

Pete , what type of worms do you have now? Reds, Tigers and Blues would be ok where you are. Here in Qld I have Red Wrigglers and African Night Crawlers. I would like to get some Blues but a bit short on space in the shed. I think it may be too cold in winter for the Africans down your way. You could try them and see how they go. Just keep the beds nice and deep and wide to act as insulation when it is cold. Summer they will thrive. They are a great composting worm, eating about 3 times more than Reds and are a great fishing worm too. Their castings are bigger too so great fetilizer for the gardens.

6. secs

secs Junior Member

Hi again Brian.

I have been working at mines in the last year and actually missed this post. Just moved to a new location and looking at setting yp my worm farms again.

I would like to try out some African or European nightcrawlers to see how they go and notice you are currently out of stock of the Africans/ Do you have an estimated restock time?

I can't believe I missed this post.....

7. briansworms

Hello Pete,

I am finding the Africans just don't want to breed like the Reds. I must be holding my tounge wrong or something lol. I am thinking of giving up on the Africans. They are more trouble than they are worth and I could use the tubs. You need to make sure the farm is escape proof or they will nick off the first night and every other chance they get. One problem I have had is Reds getting in with the Africans and laying all through the bed. Then I get African jumping ship in with the Reds.

If you are really keen I can let you have some Africans. I have the Paypal buttons on them disabled but if you wanted to put through and order just use the 2,000 Red Wrigglers button and email me so I know it is for Africans. I have them mixed sizes at the moment so I will pack 250 grams (500).

What did you want the worms for? I have found the Africans don't seem to convert the bedding and food to castings a fast as the Reds. A friend of mine tried my Reds for salt water fishing and they lived over 25 minutes. Which I believe is on par with European Night Crawlers. My Reds breed extremely well all through Winter just like Euros. If you just want them for composting go with the Reds. Where are you located?

8. secs

secs Junior Member

Thanks Brian.

In the riverena NSW. I just want them to feed my fish in my aquaponics and a bit of fishing. Maybe I should just give the reds a go.

I used to use what I called scrub worms from below the trees (not out of a punnet) to fish with and it was like you were puttng the fish onto the hook by hand. They just loved them.

Peter

9. briansworms

Pete I would just go with the Reds. I sent 4,000 down to the Murray area in Vic last Monday. Mad keen fisherman.
    I drop worms in my pond for the turtle and the fish go nuts on them
    I can give you pointers to breed up plenty of worms if you wanted to go to the trouble. It is more involved than just setting up a worm farm but you could become self sufficient in time.