waeco portable fridge - good for DC powered shack?

Discussion in 'Designing, building, making and powering your life' started by Shack Living, Nov 16, 2006.

1. greeny

greeny Junior Member

Oh sorry about that Richard, I have now changed the power outlet to amps in my previous post.

It is still too small. The trees are huge eucalypts, very expensive to remove and they do make summer a lot more comfortable.
    Yesterday the fridge 3 year old Waeco 140l broke down! I had the Waeco guy on the phone and was pulling bits off and testing it with the voltmetre, he told me he would call be back and never did! I later found the problem in the switch and will order a spare part.

I was doing ok with power before I entered the cyber world. Now I have a generator that I can get me through a cloudy day and it has definately made my life easier.

2. greeny

greeny Junior Member

An update,
    my 6 month old Waeco esky broke down.:evil: condensation had destroyed the electonic switch controls, sigh. I was annoyed when I took it in to the service centre and asked them If they get a lot in. The response was affirmative, they are also frustrated and said that they were going to stop taking in the onslaught of broken down waeco's. Thermostats are also a common problem.
    I dont see how this problem will not keep happening. I wish I had paid a bit more for a different brand!
    I hope this helps someone from making the same mistake as I.

3. frosty

frosty Junior Member

sorry to hear about you Waeco toubles greeny

we went through something simiar with a Supercool :evil: after repairing it twice while it was relatively new it eventually died irrepairably

we replaced it with an Engel 5 years ago .......... it stays in the car all the time and we use it whenever we use the car to carry cold water and also to get our shopping home still edible because we live 1.5 hours from the shops

frosty

4. Shack Living

Shack Living Junior Member

thanks greeny,
    buying a fridge will be on the cards when I get my solar setup finished, so I appreciate you sharing your experiences.

5. jackie

jackie Junior Member

Interesting to hear eveyones fridge ideas and experiences.
    We started with a 320 litre gas fridge. Bushman. Since found out the same running gear is in the 240 litre model. Obviously it couldn't keep up and much food was spoilt on a hot day.

Had the power conected simply because of refrigeration. May sound a little silly but to keep self reliant as much as possible we only have the mains power the the circuit that is in the kitchen. So fridge, microwave mixer etc are not an issue and the rest of the house is on our alternate power supply. I must say it is a very expensive excersise just for a fridge. Justified it by thinking the property may be more saleable even though we don't want to move and that we're saving on not throwing food away over summer. Also have young children and didn't want to feed them off food.

The idea some one had of putting the fridge in root cellar would help the fridge but not every thing else in there. I found out the hard way that putting a fridge gas especially in my cool panty just heated up the room. Frigdes are cold inside but they generate heat to do this. So in a room they are a mini heater.