Vote for me to help me get my chickens please?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by HeidiEmbrey, Nov 19, 2017.

1. HeidiEmbrey

HeidiEmbrey New Member

Climate:
    SubTropical, Sand, Zone 9 a/b
    Edit - Voting has ended, and I won! Thank you all so much!
    [​IMG]
    Hello my dear fellow permies. Love to you all! I've been an environmental and human rights advocate all my life, I created the first Environmentalist's and Human Rights group at my high school in 9th grade and it is still in existance and a very popular club at the school now, over 20 years later. I discovered permaculture about 12 years ago when I started really getting into growing our own food. Coincidentally the term permaculture, they say was coined in 1975, the year I was born, And I can attest to the fact that it works! Tons of food with very little effort in a sustainable way that helps our planet instead of hurting it!! They say because of monoculture the ocean is starting to put off poison gas from the excess nutrients. We need permaculture to be the mainstream Now and thank you so much everyone here for what you are doing to help,
    I'm here on the forum today because I am in a contest to win a $500 dollar grant to buy the things I will need to finally get my chickens that I've wanted all my life, from the Florida Permaculture Convergence. To vote for me please send an email with your name (you may use an allias) and the subject VOTING HEIDI"S CHICKENS to [email protected].
    Here in the city i'll need two layers of wire on a covered stationary rotating pen, and a very sturdy chicken tractor etc. to protect from racoons, water moccasins, cats, dogs, and even bears and alligators here on the lagoon. I will be using reclaimed wood downed by the hurricane, and the bamboo we have everywhere here that everyone is always wanting cut down, to build the frames, but after looking for the wire at our local recycling location for about a month I am resigned to the fact I will probably have to buy the wire new and it's Not cheap. I'll also have to buy borax and boric acid to treat the wood and bamboo, and some little things like chicken nipples etc. that I'm not going to be able to find used. My entire yarden I have created with ZERO dollars, it is one of my rules that it must pay for itself, through trades and selling my own plants to pay for new plants, but this one I'm going to need some money for,and I would have to sell a lot of plants to pay for this. I was thinking it might take me a year to save up enough and the idea of waiting so long after waiting so long was, making me sad.
    So it was an odd coincidence that the same month of September when I found out our petition to overturn the ban on chickens here in the city had worked, we got evacuated and damage from hurricane Irma, my husband missed a week of work because the roof got blown off the store where he works. I found out I'm going to be a grandmother for the first time!! (if it's a girl my daughter is going to name it after me, can you believe how awesome?) my husband had to have dental work that month, and my adult son up north needed help too. So I find out I can finally get chickens when we are flat broke essentially, and I was thinking I might have to wait a year to save up enough to get everything I will need for them, and then I come across this grant from the Florida Permaculture Convergence, literally last minute!! I was JUST in time to apply. This would solve all my problems. $500 I could build a chicken mansion! Or a house I mean that's a lot of money in my hands. They count the votes and announce the winners December first and my birthday is in December, Chickens for my birthday!! Too perfect!
    I run an informal non profit group, I host plant swaps and give away 1000s of plants and seeds to my community yearly, also do gorrilla gardening on degraded land. People come to my yard every day to learn about sustainable farming, and I give them plants, seeds and cuttings from my plants as well as advice, etc.We have lots of parties and potlucks for the neighbors. My getting chickens would make a difference to my entire community and beyond. Chickens have a bad reputation here from being horribly improperly cared for. I can show how they can be when kept in a healthy sustainable way and be an example for other municipalities that are considering lifting outdated bans on chickens. Most cities here in the United States have a ban on all chickens within city limits just like ours did.
    Thank you so much again everyone, every vote is really important to me and I am beyond grateful to anyone who takes the time. Your time is the most valuable gift you can give me and I appreciate it so much. Once again to vote for me please email your name (you may use an alias) and the subject VOTING HEIDI'S CHICKENS to [email protected] You can find out more about the grant and the Florida Permaculture Convergence here > https://flpermacultureconvergence.org/2017-grant-application-heidis-chickens/ xoxox Thank you so much again <3 Please wish me luck! :)

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  2. HeidiEmbrey

HeidiEmbrey New Member

Climate:
    Just got back from trading plants for baby clothes, for my future grandchild, About to go trade more for a playpen.. I love barter! :)

3. HeidiEmbrey

HeidiEmbrey New Member

Climate:
    10 days left till they announce the winner. omgosh. Times like this I'm sorry I'm such a loner lol

4. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Wecome Heidi,
    Voted for you ... good luck!

HeidiEmbrey likes this.
  5. HeidiEmbrey

HeidiEmbrey New Member

Climate:
    Thank you <3 I'll let you know ..in 9 more days, if I win or not. :)

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  6. HeidiEmbrey

HeidiEmbrey New Member

Climate:
    Less than two more days left for people to email their vote. I find out December 1st who wins. Thank you so much to everyone who has voted, and to the Florida Permaculture Convergence for being so awesome! <3

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  7. HeidiEmbrey

HeidiEmbrey New Member

Climate:
    I won! :D

9anda1f likes this.
  8. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    -15C-35C, 10cm rain/mo, clay, full sun, K-G Dfa=x=Dfb
    congratulations! hope you and the chickens have much
    fun together. :)

9. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Congratulations! Chickens can help immensely with your current endeavors. Keep us updated on your progress in getting them established in your yard!