Volunteer Opportunity in Ireland

Discussion in 'Jobs, projects, courses, training, WWOOFing, volun' started by zek, Apr 4, 2014.

1. zek

zek New Member

Allsorts
    Climate:
    Temperate
    Getting a neglected organic farm back on its feet again using permaculture principles.

If you're willing and able, come and stay in a beautiful area of West Cork. We're just starting out with a really interesting project. This is an oasis surrounded by monoculture and if we can show success we may be able to improve the whole area.

You'll have your own room and own living room in an easy-going household (dogs on sofas!). We can accommodate a couple. Good food provided, increasingly from the garden. No special skills required, as long as you're enthusiastic about permaculture.
    Please have a look at our project profile:

https://www.permacultureglobal.com/projects/1834-hollyhill-farm

2. wanderingfree

wanderingfree Junior Member

Climate:
    At present: Tropical
    Hi there,
    We are looking for such opportunities at the moment, almost anywhere in the world. Though I must say, Ireland has been on my mind for some months now for some reason (have never visited). Both of us took PDC course last year and have been self studying a lot longer. If you would like to talk more, please be in touch. For the time being we are at least not so far from you (presently in Iceland). We also have a friend or two who may well be interested in helping. If there is not enough accommodation, perhaps we could figure building simple cob housing...but I digress.
    Kind regards, Michael and Sunna

3. zek

zek New Member

Allsorts
    Climate:
    Temperate
    Hi Michael and Sunna, thanks for replying, it sounds like it would be good to have you over here. The farm I was working on is having some problems, suffice it to call then long-term vision problems, and it doesn't look like it will be going ahead as planned. I'm talking with someone else who has a 40 acre farm that is currently unused (empty). With the owner not living there it would mean a lot more freedom to implement a real permaculture design (very few landowners here think in that way).

What I want to do is restore the beauty and health of a place while also producing completely natural supplements and herbs, as well as fruit and nuts etc. to sell locally and keep the owner happy. Also had some nice ideas from Sepp Holzer's place with all the water features and fish. Anyway, I'll keep this thread updated as and when there's progress, and if you're still looking a bit later maybe we can get something good done.

I looked into the cob housing a bit and it would be ideal here. I have a friend with a straw bale house but the climate here is a bit damp for that. by the way have you seen these 'superadobe' buildings? https://marocpc.ning.com/photo/665424-294136654036315-658634436-o/prev?context=user It's in french but just click "suivant" to get to the next image. The interiors look amazing as well as the outside, which looks like a hobbit house!

All the best
    Andy

4. wanderingfree

Climate:
    Hi Andy,
    Sad to hear, and yet also lovely to hear the direction it may take. Certainly sounds like you are on a similar path as ourselves. You may have noticed we have been contacting people from all over; as such it will soon be up to unviverse somewhat as to where we head first. For now you would certainly be the easiest to get to ;)
    I had not come across superadobe though have seen similar buildings. Quite a similar process to cob, just generally earth "bricks" are made and used instead. Thank you for the link - beautiful stuff.

Please do let us now how you get on. If there is anything we may be able to do/say to help sway the owner, just let us know. Have some pretty good secondhand stories that may help convince that this is not only the right move to make, but that really there is no choice in the matter :)
    How far along are you out of interest; might this land be available "soon" (whatever that may mean)? Either way, as you said just be in touch as and when and whenever it may be, if we're in a position to come, certainly feels like it could be something magnificent (40acres would be fun to play with).

Warm regards, Michael and Sunna

5. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

I am SO sorry to read this project has run into problems. It sounds so wonderful it might have tempted me to get over my terror of flying so I could be part of it. Many of my ancestors are from Ireland & I have a very powerful urge to go there myself. I hope there's a facilitation process taking place to try & resolve the issues - it would be a terrible waste to see the project shelved permanently.
    I wish you the very best of luck in your negotiations with the owner of the 40 acre farm. It would be fantastic to see you succeed in establishing a "shop front" for Permaculture in an area where there is little information about it.

6. wesselvk

wesselvk New Member

Wanderingfree, could you please send me a personal message? I just started to convert a 228 acre property in a permaculture paradise (Good fun!) in NSW, Australia. Cheers Wessel

7. wanderingfree

Climate:
    @wesselvk: hehe, well tried to send private message...but you are set to not receive them apparently. it may be that you are so new to forum and need to make at least three successfully moderated posts. otherwise you should check your settings page (link on every forum page at very top right); then scroll down and click link to General Settings on left column. On the following page you should be able to set private message settings.
    Speak soon, perhaps

8. wesselvk

wesselvk New Member

Mmm can't change it. Very strange... It's regards a 228 acre permaculture project in NSW, Australia.

9. wanderingfree

Climate:
    @wesselvk: As I mentioned before, I have a feeling you need three successful moderated posts before being able to do certain things on this forum...

10. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Yes, this is correct. Now to get wesselyk to make one or two more posts!
    = )