Vacations and/or Permaculture?

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by davenz, Mar 18, 2006.

1. davenz

davenz Junior Member

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and to permaculture. I've read Introduction to Permaculture by Bill Mollison and it's got me very excited. Hopefully I'll be on this forum for the next several decades!

I'm possibly looking at setting up a permaculture home/site in New Zealand. However, one thing that concerns me is the ability to go on vacation. I'm 35 and possibly semi-retired by the time I get to NZ. This means I would like to take several long vacations and travel extensively (may up to 2 or 3 months at a time) for many years to come. If I have a site with chickens, pigs, etc. I'm concerned this essentially ties me to the land because the land is 'living' and needs care, as opposed to the suburban scenario of locking the door, putting the dog in a kennel/with friends and setting off without any worries.

How can you manage big (1 hectare or more) permaculture sites when you live alone and travel extensively? Is it possible? I know the design principles should mean chickens/pigs, etc. can feed themselves but does this really work in practice? Is it easy to get to this state? Or do newbies need to give nature a hand every so often (which what worries me) to ensure the anaimals don't starve/have problems.

2. macree

macree Junior Member

maybe you could get a permie caretaker in for the duration?

3. barely run

barely run Junior Member

That was me this last year....got set up with chickens chook tractor...vergies and herbs....then plans changed and I was away for 12 weeks over a couple of monthes....plus no water on occasion. Probably lost $500 in lost fruit trees, and other perennial plants...not too mention all the seed etc from green harvest and diggers.
    An onsite partner would have been ideal but easier said than done.
    My thoughts on the matter are I should have:
    *Put in an automated water system FIRST...drip irrigation with a timer...wouldn't have helped when the pump failed but would have done the job otherwise.
    * Used tree guards with water resevoir or the around tree water bags available from green harvest....they are $10 -$20 each but would have been worth it.
    * Fenced the area I planned on using to keep out rabbits, hares, possums, neighbours sheep etc.
    * Concentrate on perrenials such as berries, citrus, artichokes rather than short season vegies.
    * Forget the stock untill more settled but a worm farm might work
    Well this is my thoughts and plans if we stay here and continue to travel.

My biggest problem is I want everything to be set up... NOW...when we all know it takes a few years some say 15yrs for a truly intergrated permaculture system to be fully operational.
    Cheers
    Cathy

4. davenz

davenz Junior Member

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, I'm thinking to start out slow and build in vacation plans to my permaculture planning. Although I would like chickens early :) Maybe after I've travelled for several years I might be a bit more settled.

Would be interested in other replies of how people handle lengthy time away from the site...

5. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

Scoob,

All annuals and a lot of perennials will probably die.

I have had time away from my place, I am still away. Only another permie would do it any justice.

If you own animals you have a duty of care as to their welfare. I live tropical and had some tenants on my property for two years. They let their horses eat my cycads, cut down an unnamed rare grevillia, cut down another rare plant. Slashed a row of jackfruit & breadfruit plants. They also cut down a 'liniment bush', a quandong, a native cocky apple and a thing called I called a 'freshwater mangrove'. Lastly, they let the horses eat and kill my grape vine.

They did however make some ''improvements''. They shot out most of the local wallaby population and planted a number of carpentaria palms, frangipanis, bouganvillea & crotons. These plants are near weeds in the Top End of the Northern Territory. They also fenced in my perennial asparagus, sugar cane and pigeon pea - apparently the horses loved them too. They were very pleased with how the place was looking.

Before they eventually did a runner they had a lawn sale and sold garden tools, electric fence equipment, outdoor furniture, my kids trampoline & a pile of steel and bricks. All of which were mine. A neighbour rang me too late he said they had told him they had sold a bit of my stuff to cover the 'improvements' they had made on the place..

The stuff they sold, apart from an heirloom light was all replaceable.

Enough of that. What I am trying to get across is that a lot of what we do, unless explained, doesnt make any sense to non-permies.. and some folks will never get it.

I would establish your fence line, fruit trees/orchard, even lawn and pretty much leave the rest alone till you are home permanently. Expect a few losses and disappointments. These things can happen even if you are there.

On the upside, travelling will allow you to collect, view other permie projects and even collect a bit of plant material.

Cheers..

6. macree

macree Junior Member

Ah, floot - I can't imagine what coming home to that must have been like!!! :shock: :( :x

7. Richard on Maui

Richard on Maui Junior Member

Yeh. Contrary to what you m ay have read, Permaculture doesn't really work on its own without a lot of work and attention. At least, I haven't seen it work that way. I'm sure that a mature system provides more energy than it consumes, but that is different than being able to go away on holidays and expect everything to cope in your abscence.
    Of course, if you are a really, really good designer you might be able to put everything in the right spot...
    I am actually caretaking a piece of land for a nonPermie guy who would like to be. I am trying to implement some Permaculture ideas and get some perennial food plants established so that when he comes back it is there. But a lot of the time it does feel pretty back to front I have to tell you.
    Can I ask you, how is that you are able to retire at the ripe old age of 35? I think if I was able to do that, retire to a piece of land that had a piece of paper attached to it that said I could do my thing there for the term of my natural life, well, I might think about going off on a bit of a walkabout, but heck, I would be so ready to get my teeth stuck into that piece of land!
    Now, the other option for you mate, is to get some help. As Floot pointed out, getting a caretaker or renters can be a bit of a problem, and the same problems would arise when living in community, but really the only way to have your Permaculture and get to eat it too, AND go on holidays, is do it in community.
    There's my 25c for you.

8. mariet

mariet Junior Member

vacations and/or permaculture

Awful to hear about the tennants "improvements". Just goes to show how wer'e not all on the same wavelength, sometimes not even the same planet. I find that going away is very difficult, even to go away for a weekend if it's just the wrong time can be a major happening. I usually try to take a break in autumn or winter when the pace has eased up.
    Now I'm thinking that permaculture and holidays should go together very well, that is having a holiday to either caretake or help out with a permaculture farm. I haven't done the woofing thing as I also need to take a break from the flat out pace I usually have to maintain.
    I'm thinking about a holiday maybe August/ September and somewhere maybe northern NSW. Does anyone with a well established permaculture farm need some help or someone to mind the place? I have many years experience on a smaller scale. Marie

9. Bluerose

Bluerose Junior Member

Go wwoofing

Go Wwoofing! Look for interesting hosts. My sister and I have been hosts, even 'city girls' from Japan have had a ball.

10. mariet

mariet Junior Member

vacations and/or permaculture

you sound convincing Molly! I wonder how full on the work load would be? I don't mind hard work but I guess if you're going to put somone up for a while you would have a big job list ready for them as well? Marie