Using laundry greywater

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by hedwig, Aug 30, 2006.

1. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

g'day hedwig,

yes the drums hold around 220 litres of water.

not sure about the bcc rebate, but if you check the qld gov' scheme if you as a tenant buy a tank you are entitled to claim, the landlord may have to ok it and of course when you leave the tank may have to stay behind?? not sure but check it out.

you can get a 5,000 litre tank from say bundy for around the $900 + mark, and the state rebate is $1k. no plumbing necessary.

you can use the tank only for agrdening and a cheapy submersable pump will do the trick. there is a free call number for the state one yell out if you want it.

anyhow here to help however?

len

2. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

Water

Whats"mark" ?
    Does that mean you make $100 profit? (1k=$1,000?)

3. gardenlen

mark is an old term reffering to a figure you might pay or whatever, i think it may derive from the aussie rules term of marking the ball, but anyway in short it means around that price as well.

um yep $1k = $1000

len

4. mamat

mamat Junior Member

5. gardenlen

hey m.a,

i explained mark and other aussie terms to you once before mark as in goal, the expected prive maybe or something to aim for so the $900 + mark = $900 = whatever extra dollars is needed to secure the deal then the end price becomes the mark/target/goal etc.,.etc.,.

just curious are you borne and bred aussie? if not or you wish just e/mail me and i will help you with some common or slang type terms we aussies use in our somewaht colourful language.

just wanting to be friendly no malice intended, jsut i have never before been asked this type of question.

len

6. gardenlen

sorry m.a,

missed your whole question but as last time k has many meanings so it msut be taken in the context of the sentence whetehr it be distance, or weight or money value k can cover the lot the way i said it, it means $1000 dollars so yes you could make $100 profit, to me that is not fair or equitable as those of us who are serious and can do so spend near on 3 times for our tanks and only get the same rebate.

len

7. gardenlen

ok mamat,

checked that site.

tried search for that tree in aus'

zilch nothing any info all in french, on the site couldn't find if the product is in australia how dumb am i? couldn't even find the product on their difficult to get around page.

so back to you, the why and the wherefore??

can trees be got and grown here?

len

8. mamat

mamat Junior Member

i bought mine in a chain "green" store in france. the trees grow in india/nepal from what i understand. which is not great, but it seems better than other solutions for me right now...

you could try planting the tree in your garden, might work... some french forum said that it'd be possible but nuts grow after 10 years.

you might want to post on indian/nepalese forums, apparently the trees are quite common in some areas there. they'd have better info than me on what the trees need to grow well and they might even be able to send you some seeds...

9. gardenlen

thanks mamat,

would be better to get seedling tree with such a long germination period.

might try closer to home in aus' forums just never know hey?

len

10. Richard on Maui

Richard on Maui Junior Member

nah, he means the tree needs to be 10 years old before it will bear fruit, not that the nuts take 10 years to germinate.

11. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

Using water thats been run thru the septic system is only as good as the stuff you flush thruy the system...

You flush chemicals thru u get chemicals...

All my water, brown, clear, or grey goes thru the one system......

I never grow vegies using this water,but will use it to give my citrus trees and guava trees/bushes a drink thru out the year...

You gotta think of the stuff you flush as well no toilet chemicals like blue loo etc or bleaches....Dont have a dish washer unless its a hubby or the kids...

Watch what soaps and cleaners you use.or your just as bad as the other polluters.......

Tezza

12. MonteGoulding

MonteGoulding Junior Member

Hi

I've been trying to find out about installing a greywater reuse system on my house but it seems SA gov puts red tape in your way from the start and then the finally installed system must be setback over 2m from any boundaries or structures. Im my back yard this reduces the area I can irrigate to about 4x4m and the front to about 10x5m. Combined with the cost doing it I think we will stick to bucketing and focus on rainwater.

I've been pricing rainwater tanks and unless you go for a massive tank (which we can't fit on our block it looks to be considerably cheaper to plumb together plastic drums. I've sourced them for $20 if I buy 10 or more (please let me know if you know a cheaper price in Adelaide) from Paramount Browns. The advantage with this is I can find heaps of little areas around the place to fit these things. I thought I would start by double stacking them at every downpipe so the top one takes the surge. I'll probably need to bury one to put a pump in so they all drain down to it.

Anyone see any issues with what I want to do here?

Cheers

Monte

13. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Hi Monte,

Welcome to the forums! My experiences with plastic barrels for rainwater collection involve the difficulty in creating a leak-proof means of manifolding multiple barrels together. Even with them all at the same level, the connections between them would leak (but I wouldn't lose all the water!).

I am wondering whether by stacking them, leaks would empty all but the lowest barrel over time? Or perhaps you know a leak-proof method of connecting them together? (I used PVC pipe and fittings. Almost always leaked at the pipe-to-barrel connections).

9anda1f

14. MonteGoulding

Hi 9anda1f

I hadn't quite got that far. I was planning on doing a few trials first but am happy to learn from experience. I read somewhere else about a tub connector. I think you drill a hole and push the male part through from the back and screw on the female part which squishes a rubber washer in the middle creating a seal. I'd probably add some silicon and some plumbers tape to make sure it worked.

Cheers

Monte

15. gardenlen

g'day 9anda1f,

um not my intention of having anymore than 1 drum at each downpipe, i already have a 24,500 litre (5,400 imp/gal) tank installed, as well as capacity for up to 1,800 litres in the back flush tank for the pool.

but for those who are pondering multiple 220 litre drums instead of a rainwater tank, i would suggest that you maybe consider using a 12 volt bilge pump (available from most marine accessories stores) and buy one of those 12 volt car emergency start charger batteries from the auto store. the bilg pump if i recall right does about 660 litres per hour, and that would be heaps watering gardens or transfering that water to the washing machine for use there (wouldn't suggest ever drinking water stored in those drums).

so if you do that then an access can be provided in the top of each drum for the pump, then each drum could be connected on the same plane as each other with say a 75mm pipe instead of the regular 90mm pipe then from the final use 90mm to the stormwater drain, these connections would be situated at the top end of the drums, but won't be water tight and you only miss that little bit of water near the top of the drum.

you could make 50mm connections at the bases but then you need to look at proper fittings that lock into/onto the drum to create a nozzle then use a flezible hose to connect them that can be made water proof.

or you could connect the top pipe from/into the top of each drum by using 2 x 90 degree elbows and a straight down pipe piece this will allow for each drum to fill almost completely.

at the end of the day a watertank can't be beaten, as even a 5,000 litre (1,000 imp/gal) tank will take arond the same floor space as 3 or 4 drums and hold in excess of 3 or 4 times the amount of water.

len

16. MonteGoulding

Hi Len

My situation is I have a space up the side of the house which is not much wider than a drum and isn't used for a path becuase we have a corner block. That's why I want to link a few along there. I was also thinking of making a potting bench out of eight drums and a sheet of galvanised welded mesh. The commercial slimline tanks are fairly expensive and when compared to the cost per litre stored the drums win by a mile.

I think for it to work well for me though I would need to do the proper sealed outlet on the bottom of the drum so that a little while after a rain the tanks all around my property would level out. It's one reason why I think I'd need the double height drum at each downpipe to handle the surge of heavy rain (when we ever get some).

My ideal situation would be to come up with a design that I could add more drums to when I find a spot for one. Possibly even a big tank if I ever find a spot for one which I doubt considering the layout and size of my block.

Cheers

Monte

17. MonteGoulding

Hmm... I'm now wondering if I'd need to link both top and bottom of the drums. I think I might have a problem with air if I don't. Something like the attached???
    [​IMG]

18. Richard on Maui

I have plumbed together 6 50 gallon plastic barrels to catch water off the shed roof here. We made a stand to give us a bit extra gravity, and also to make it easier to connect the barrels. The kind we used have two plastic bung fittings, (with different types of thread, one course and one more like standard pipe thread, although I haven't tried to fit a standard pipe thread into either of them yet) these plastic bungs have a 3/4 inch thread in the middle. You can cut off a little nipple and then you a have a hole in the bung. You can use standard pvc parts to join the barrels, or the irrigation fittings with the barbs for polypipe work too.
    Because my manifold has relatively small diameter pipes connecting the different barrels, it does take a while for them to equalise, but they do! I haven't ever seen a heavy enough rain that intake barrel overflowed before the others took up the slack. But I suppose it is possible.
    Oh yeah, I turn the barrels upside down, so that the bungholes are facing down, and yeah, you need to make a breather hole in the top of each barrel or you get an airlock...
    I get my barrels for free from a commercial laundry.
    I'm going to try to upload some pics, but don't hold your breath, I always get messed up trying to resize the darn things.

19. Richard on Maui

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In the above pic you can see the plumbing. There are two holes left over after connecting the barrels in series. I reused the drain valve from an electric water heater for one, and the other is a standard pvc ball valve, with a pipe thread to hose thread connector so that I can drain both valves with a standard garden hose. If I drain one barrel before the others "equalise" and I still the need the water for what I am doing I can swap the hose to the still full barrel and keep watering.

[​IMG]

20. Richard on Maui

That last shot was supposed to illustrate the bunghole fitting thingy.