using comfrey in compostt

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by dreuky, Aug 22, 2015.

1. dreuky

dreuky Junior Member

Have read about using comfrey in compost. How do you do it? Do you just throw in some leaves or do you make a tea? how much do you use?

2. Geoff Lawton

Geoff Lawton Administrator Staff Member

A good handful of fresh leaves in the centre of a one cubic meter heap works fine as is the easiest.

3. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

And if you want to get deeper, consider the Comfrey leaves as Nitrogen in your basic Browns:Greens:Manure(Nitrogen) ratio for composting.

4. Diggman

Diggman Junior Member

Climate:
    Temperate, always cloudy, lots of rain (& slugs)
    I've been using a liquid fertiliser of a few handfulls of comfrey leaves and stinging nettles in a bucket where you put enough rainwater in to cover the leaves, give it a stir everyday if possible then once dark brown or after a month, dilute it with water and feed the plants directly. (always be sure to give plants a normal watering first then feeding a little while after to prevent root burn).

When it comes to liquid fertilisers you can throw in many things but start simple, even a handfull of home made compost and dried seaweed in there too will help and not be too over the top.

5. JoeMerc

JoeMerc Junior Member

Interesting how people do the same thing in different ways.

6. Bryant RedHawk

Bryant RedHawk Junior Member

Arkansas Senior Appraiser
    Climate:
    USDA zone 7b,8a.
    There are many ways to use comfrey in composting, I've even dried the leaves and then incorporated them in a mulch around my fruit trees. I mix them into compost heaps along with spent coffee grounds. I make teas with them too.

7. mullerjannie

mullerjannie Junior Member

I believe Broad leaf and other species of dock has the same root system as Comfrey. In New Zealand they are plenty! It's also an indicator of high nitrogen in the ground according to Sepp Holzer. I've definitely seen plants grow better in "dock" areas if you can manage to break the soil.

8. UrbanAbundance

UrbanAbundance Junior Member

I am in southern california, in a semi arid costal environment. Borage seems to grow better here. Does anyone know how borage compares to comfrey when used in compost?

9. mullerjannie

mullerjannie Junior Member

Borage or "starflower" has a pretty good root in soft soil but I have noticed it can't do to clay what the likes of yarrow\dock\comfrey does. The leaves are pretty healthy to eat the same should apply to compost i.e. nutrient cycle. However, the seeds I found has a hard shell, I couldn't get my heap up to a temperature high enough to "toast" them. Thus I have quite a few new plants :)
    I don't mind since they transplant well. the flowers also makes great decorations for food as they are edible. The seeds are really high in good oil as well.

I have composted the leaves and stems(about 2inch thick they are hollow though) .But seeds didn't compost. My temperature is pretty cold and windy NZ Wellington.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borage

10. UrbanAbundance

UrbanAbundance Junior Member

thanks Mullerjannie. I want to get my hands on some yarrow.

11. JoeMerc

JoeMerc Junior Member