Uses for polystyrene balls from a bean bag.

Discussion in 'General chat' started by mzja, Jan 13, 2008.

1. mzja

mzja Guest

Can anyone help me with ideas for polystyrene balls from bean bags to be used in the garden. I was thinking perhaps in potting mix or drainage. Is there a way of dealing with them other than sending them to land fill? The bag split and has been sitting outside till I work out how to re-use the thing. Can't be recycled and sewn up again because as I mentioned, it's been sitting outside (rain, insects, dirt etc). Are they toxic?
    Cheers all.

2. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
    Depending on where you live*, you'd be better off burning polystyrene than putting it in your land. It's fairly evil in terms of toxicity and that toxicity will last much much longer in the soil and water than it will in the air.

*(I wouldn't burn it if I lived in a built up area because the burning is toxic too)

It does make quite a good insulator, if you want to wash it and then seal it in something. You might find a project where it's handy. But then if you clean it you could just make another bean bag :wink:

3. rhancock

rhancock Junior Member

4. mzja

mzja Guest

Thanks Pebble and Richard, I've worked it out now.

5. ricktor

ricktor Guest

Yes you can recycle your beanbags, just clean it all the way and buy wholesale of dried beans or pvc pellets for make it longer even it rains but its better you put it inside your home.

6. mzja

mzja Guest

Thankyou too Ricktor, much appreciated. Bean bag has been cleaned and restored to its former glory in a groovy new cover. I think initially I was a bit lazy in thinking I could chuck it in the garden. I try to keep as much as I can out of the rubbish bin.
    By the way, what a fab and inspiring web sight. :D

7. ricktor

ricktor Guest

Re: Uses for polystyrene balls from a bean bag.

:D You got me....I have purchased bean bag filler from several different fabric stores. I tried for the bigger ones that really specialize in fabric and sewing not just crafts. Also I found that JoAnns and Kmart sells it.