urine in the garden

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by butchasteve, Jan 29, 2010.

1. butchasteve

butchasteve Junior Member

Ok, so its a waste to flush the toilet after a wizz, but to not do so makes my bathroom stink..

I have been urinating a bit on the compost, I know it helps as an activator. But are there any plants/trees that like a bit of the old yellow liquid without burning or killing it..

Another unfortunate issue is that my location is so open to the street and surrounding units that its a night time only option..

2. alfamick

alfamick Junior Member

Yeah, but a great option during this rainy weather we're supposed to have this week!

3. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year
    Steve, we have a small hessian stall that looks "natural" and in it I keep a bucket of sawdust. I find that the carbon of the sawdust combines with the nitrogen of the urine to break down into very usable organic matter. I put this in a compost heap for further processing but not sure it is really necessary. Citrus is said to be a gross enough feeder to handle urine.

4. butchasteve

that hessian stall sounds a brilliant idea. unfortunately my place is still too small for that.. I have been giving my washington orange a bit of a water, seems to have cured its leaf curl too.. although the sweet chilli next to it up and died..

might start nicking the piles of semi-burned woodchips from behind the butcher shop.. masses of it so if what you say works well I should have a heck load of compost next year...

5. sbrokvam

sbrokvam Junior Member

How about a large bottle for shortterm storage - solves the neighbour issue, at least, and you can dish out in suitably sized portions for each tree.

6. Yukkuri_Kame

Yukkuri_Kame Junior Member

That should work fabulously. As purplepear noted, the carbon will balance with the nitrogen. As for the bottle, if you keep it closed it may develop anaerobic bacteria, which could get stinky. If you have enough sawdust, an open 5 gal bucket should absorb a fair bit of pee without odor problems.

I have heard of applying urine directly to eggplant during fruiting to ward off slugs.

7. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

ok steve,

yup pee in a bucket and each day add that to some other used water prefferably kitchen and then to the garden where it will be greatly appreciated. a ladies need to sit or haunch down you may need to consider making a commode seat with bucket under that you both could use, that should go a long way to solving that eronious odour issue, i put a lid on my bucket as well, now if you use other used water ie.,. washing machine/shower water to flush solids only this will save oodles of good clean water use. 2 buckets per shower to collect what can be usually for us 1.5 buckets per person gets collected, we place one bucket directly unde the shower head and the other beside it and wash over the top. so the bucket system should remove the issue of peering neighbour syndrome as well, they simply will not know what is in the bucket.

len

8. Ichsani

Ichsani Junior Member

Nice one on the hessian sack & sawdust idea. Flushing after #1's gives me the irks but is considered 'not negotiable' except for the back dunny (its SUCH a waste!)

Application at 1:10 water is fine for the majority of plants..... :) Also good for starting off aquaponics systems... until the fish arrive that is!

9. SueUSA

SueUSA Junior Member

The easiest thing to use is a bucket toilet that looks like this:https://www.usaemergencysupply.com/emergency_supplies/toilet_seat_for_five_gallon_bucket.htm

Here in the US, they cost about $10-12 (USD) and fit on a standard 5-gallon (19 l.) plastic bucket. (Note of warning: use a new bucket, not an older, sun-ravaged brittle on.)

Don't use a plastic bag inside. Put about 3" (7-8 cm) of sawdust, semi-finished compost, shredded or small leaves, stove pellets, finely shredded or ground paper, etc, in the bottom and every time a solid deposit (or a lot of pee) is added. When it gets three-quarters full or so, unclip the seat and put it in the center of a compost pile and cover it with leaves or straw (etc) and let it rot. You don't need to turn the pile.

For more info, see Joseph Jenkins Humanure Book, FREE online (with drawings and photos), and he will answer every question you have, plus some you didn't think of. See https://humanurehandbook.com/downloads/Humanure_Handbook_all.pdf

I've used this method for a year, and it works just fine. I gave an unemployed friend a pickup load of raw sawdust and a bucket and seat when her plumbing went bad, and she loves it.

I use sawdust, and I can guarantee that there is no odor --- less, in fact, than from a regular flush toilet.

Sue

10. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

My 14 year old son told me today that I'm NOT cool. When pressed for the reason why I've been demoted to NOT cool status he said it's that permaculture thing. I told him I'd start making him pee on the citrus tree for saying such a terrible thing. To which he replied - "That's exactly what I mean - NOT cool..."

I can't wait until he's 40 and telling me that he pees on his citrus trees!

11. butchasteve

he'll grow out of it.. i was the same with my old man.. although that was soon after moving to the city from the farm where it was mandatory where boys peed outside (water was scarce)..

now at 29 my mother does her nut whenever i visit, and me or my father come back inside from the garden.. "the whole place smells like piss!!" a major exaggeration :)

12. Speedy

Speedy Junior Member

'The Secret to Mens Health'

Pissin' in the garden is WAY cool!

'The Secret to Men's Health'

The secret of men's health be
    the keeping of a Lemon Tree;
    And keeping up the male rite
    of tending it alone at night.

Some nurturing, some nourishing-
    And yet a bit of flourishing!
    Unless the man remain a beast
    The tree and he will be deceased!

Leunig

13. DJ-Studd

DJ-Studd Junior Member

If I'm at home I make sure to go outside. Either on the lemon tree or in my empty garden beds.

14. sindhooram

sindhooram Junior Member

I can relate to that a bit though...when I was a child I was 'traumatised' by my mother having a pee bucket for her garden in case any of my friends lifted the lid and saw it when they came round....that is such a vulnerable age and if I have a kid i wouldnt want to put them through that....

15. butchasteve

i once worked in a place that was "too busy" so we had to piss in a bucket in the freezer.. at the end of the week when the bucket/s were full the boss would empty the ice in the carpark..

i was somewhat disturbed to see kids kicking it round one day... little kids who didn't know better.. crap job that one..

16. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
    Ask him where he thinks his food comes from ;-)

17. kaviare

kaviare Junior Member

My 19 y/o sister told me yesterday that she 'can't BELIEEEEVE' I'm reading gardening magazines. Totally daggy, apparently.

No delicious garden produce for her!

One of the African gentlemen I work with told us that they got a leomn tree for their housewarming. Apparently it's traditional to use urine from young boys on it to keep it healthy and his sons were not being cooperative. I'm not sure exactly WHY it was supposed to be from a young boy - whether this is cultural or perhaps has some basis in science. Thought it was interesting, though.

18. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
    The chemical makeup will be different in boys compare to men.

19. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

urging people to relieve themselves

You know this pebble, because?:)

https://www.permacultureireland.ie/2010/02/10/living-lightly-6/
    [​IMG]
    What a big boy can achieve? ;)

20. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Well we've had progress. I had a plumbing crisis overnight, and to do his bit to help the lovely lad announced that he had peed on the ginger plant to save on flushing the loo!