Up Coming Aquaponics Course in Perth with Joel Malcolm

Discussion in 'Jobs, projects, courses, training, WWOOFing, volun' started by christopher, Oct 23, 2005.

1. christopher

christopher Junior Member

To be announced...

2. christopher

BTW, Joel, sorry if I have overstepped the bounds, but this is a not very subtle, nor gentle push.... :lol: . You can either abuse me here, PM me, or send me a vicious email if you want. I deserve it if I have stepped on your toes!

So the 12th of Novermber looks good to me. How does that work for you? Whaddaya think?

C (TPY)

3. ~Tullymoor~

~Tullymoor~ Junior Member

CWIS!! MY office! NOW!!! :evil:

>

You've been with the company now, what ? a couple of months? and already you are undermining me, going out on your own, thinking for yourself, acting out your big ideas without, I might add, any consultation with me whatsoever. No wonder Gregor...oh, never mind :oops:
    Now what on earth are you up to?? Naming a bloody DATE! Pushing, pushing, pushing him, we'll lose him if you keep going on like this! You know very well that the plan was he get his book/dvd/cd to Josh Byrne, gets invited to appear on Gardening Australia and announces the course on the show...FREE ADVERTISING!! What? Are you deaf??? Pineapple wine made your brain soggy?? You need to get out of that bloody jungle more Cwis!
    >
    I KNOW you were excited. I know you want to encourage the lad. But you also know he has no confidence in his ability to teach. You know he wants to get his place tidied up. You know he wants to plant out his front yard, he said as much last night after his visit to Josh's place.
    November twelfth???? What on earth were you thinking???
    Now, if you had come to see me, I would have told you that I wanted to email Gardening Australia with a link to Joel's website etc BUT I wanted to get the OK from Joel BEFORE doing it. Also, we needed him to get his book etc to Josh to coincide with the email. Now I come in here and find that you just go and announce to the world that there is a course on and when it's on!! I am so furious about this

>

Oh, just get out of here and find a way to un-do your mistake before it's too late.

>
    ..........................................................................................................
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

4. christopher

Tullymoor QotF, HoT, PoPP (D))

I knew I was in deep compost when I saw the devil head and no lovey dovey emoticons.... Oh, you are so right. I have been a very bad boy, and you can fly over to spank me any time. Saturday the 12th of November, for example, is a good day for me, if you want to schedule the spanking for a weekend.

In my enthusiasm and exuberance I got it in my mind that Joel should schedule a class and see who turns up. If advertised in this thread, for example, there would probably only be about 10 people who could make it, which would be a low intensity situation, allowing Joel to get his feet wet in the world of teaching without a large crowd. I thought of it as a learning experience for Joel.

I had to do the same thing a few years ago. We started doing training, and I didn't want to do it as I was terribly unsure of my ability to communicate information. However I did okay.

The next time I did pretty good.

The time after that went extremely well.

Then I started to enjoy the whole thing.

Now I look forward to teaching. We just had 10 young adults from Tumul'kin School of Learning here for exposure to agroforestry and permaculture concepts applicable to their lives. It went well. My wife says I am a bit unfocused and prone to go off on tangential topics, which we all knew anyway, so I could still improve my skill set, but the gnawing pit in the stomach thing I used to get before speaking to large groups thing is gone.

You'll notice tho, that this was more of a suggestion, right? However, I admit I have been a serious idiot here....

But, respectfully, O Great Tullymoor, My Queen of the Folly, Hunter of Tagas, Planter of Pigeon Pea (Dearest), Joel holding a small class with friends and associates from this forum would be very valuable for Joel to expose him to being in a teaching environment as well as surround him with people who hold him, justifiably, in high esteem, and who would probably be willing to answer the question, "What can I as a teacher do to improve my teachin?" in a truthful way, which I have found to be very useful for me in in improving my ability to transfer knowledge.

I felt that this not too gentle shove would be overall valuable for spreading the knowledge Joel has, information I think is vital to imporving food security in areas of high population density.

Anyway, you are right. I really have overstepped the bounds here. I was misguided by my enthusiasm, and certainly should have consulted with you, oh, and, um, Joel, too, of course, before opening my presumptuous thread here.

I only hope that I can patch it up with Joel. He has every righ to be quite sore with me.... Hes a big feller, too, so glad he can't come here and clap me one....

I still believe, tho, that the two approaches are not mutually exclusive... get some exposure to teachin small, low pressure groups until his confidence grows and his teaching skill set becomes a bit developed, THEN we go for the FREE ADVERTISING, at least that's how I'd do it.

Of course, tho, yer right. His wonderful aquaponics system :wav: is a great teacher, too, if Joel can interpret for it....

And, actually, I've been here four months. Is a raise out of the question? You can come give me my spanking any time, tho :love7: .

My deepest apologies to you, Tullymoor, and to you, too, Joel, if I have stomped all over your toes....

Pw Cw :cry: (A bad Nong)

5. earthbound

earthbound Junior Member

You guys are a crack up.... :D :D :D :D :D

Love that Boss role Tully, your a natural...

Just to slow you down maybe a little Christopher :D , and to let any others know that may be interested, I'm aiming to run a course towards the end of the first quarter of next year, maybe sometime in March...

Assuming all things go to plan I will make an official notice of dates etc within the next couple of months.... :D

Joel

6. christopher

HA HAH!

HIGH FIVE! TULLYMOOR (D), I tole you we could do it!

And that's it folx, we have a commitment. Thank you for coming out to our manipulative inaugural event. You've all been wonderful! Good night!

(Tully, our work here is not done, tho, we will need to keep a slow even pace of pressure to keep Joel from backing down. I'll play "good cop", and you, well, judging from the massive dressing down, would be better at "bad cop"....)

Joel, yer awesome! I look forward to seeing it posted here!

c

7. baldcat

baldcat Junior Member

I'm gonna have a busy year....

First I got Jungle man's PDC in Jan, then Joel's BYAPC.. Tully's tile and weed working bee, Frans' vegan open day experience supported with Glenns artwork, The National Beut Wheelbarrow and chook day at Tezza's.. and Frosty's fishing comp... but to name a few.

I guess the Frequent Flyers from the PDC will get me to Perth though. This is of course assuming the Jungle man allows me to leave.. I just might take up residence in the goat shed. It will then be called the TajsmaGshed (after I make the nessesary changes)

8. Franceyne

Franceyne Junior Member

No, no Dan, not exactly vegan anymore - we eat eggs (friend's free range organic backyard ones) and local honey.

I had to learn to eat eggs because Glenn told me I couldn't have chooks if I didn't eat the eggs - and I really want ckooks :lol:

Joel, congratulations. I wish you every success :D

9. christopher

Dan the Man,

Just posted about our course. After long consideration among the MMRF board, Dawn and myself, we have decided to offer a USD100 discount for Australians flying in to Belize for the course, to share the significant cost of air transport to Belize in hopes of attracting more of the participants of this forum to participate in our first ever PDC.

I would love to see you and anyone else who is a contributor to this forum here at our home.

Hope to see you (and anyone else) in February!

Christopher

10. baldcat

baldcat Junior Member

And that for us Aussies is..

100.00 USD United States Dollars = 133.865 AUD Australia Dollars

1 USD = 1.33865 AUD 1 AUD = 0.747021 USD

11. jimi

jimi Junior Member

Sound

How does that idea sound to you? |)

12. barely run

barely run Junior Member

Joel I'm interested in coming to your course...never been to WA so will be a good excuse. Your DVD is also on my Christmas list. If you need any help with the teaching side I'd be happy to help....that is the techniqe of teaching....have fair bit of experience in Adult teaching (not permaculture) and setting up teaching sessions etc
    Cathy :lol:

13. earthbound

earthbound Junior Member

Thanks Cathy, I'll keep yourself and everyone else informed as things progress... And thanks for the offer, but Penny is going to give me a bit of a hand with that side as she only lives around the corner, and she's a teacher too... :D

Joel :D

14. ~Tullymoor~

~Tullymoor~ Junior Member

Hmmmmm :? very strange...I *think* this comment >>>>How does that idea sound to you?