Unripe Pumpkins & Frost

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by macthedog, Mar 27, 2007.

1. macthedog

macthedog Junior Member

We've just had our first frost of the year here in NW Tas and my pumpkin plants got some nasty frost burn around the edges. Some of the smaller pumpkins are definitely damaged, but the bigger ones in the middle of the patch (with more leaf protection ?) look okay. They are definitely not ripe yet though - the vine isn't browning off yet.

What do I do with them now ????
    Do I leave them on the vine with some frost protection until they ripen ?
    Will they store okay ?

Advice gratefully received

2. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

g'day macthedog,

you don't say what sort of pumpkins they are this will make a difference to their storing capacity. for me i would harvest so thyey don't get dmaged, or you could cover each fruit with a good cover of hay/straw, but if the vines have taken some damage then they are most likely going to die off now anyway.

good keeper types usually need a couple of weeks on the roof in full sun to ahrden them off, would also suggest when you take them leave app" 1/2 to 1 meter of old vine either side of where the vine connects to the stem, this is so theat vine can dry off and seal so to stop anything entering there and spoiling the fruit, once fully dry cut the vines to a couple of inches of the stem, never cut the stem.

i have had good results this way. thought the japs/kents we choose to grow aren't noted keepers we have gotten up to 9 months in storage, and that is in sub-tropical conditions witout a cellar or cool room.

len

3. macthedog

macthedog Junior Member

Hi Len,

Thanks for the info. I've got butternuts & jarrahdales here, which have both fruited quite prolifically. Not sure on their keeping qualities - will have to check.

I might hedge my bets and harvest some of the more mature ones and give the others a good covering of straw for another few weeks at least. Good tip on the length of vine to keep as I would have only kept a couple of inches.

Got a nice tin roof in full sun that they can dry out on although I guess I'll need to keep a close eye on the weather down here as it has turned particularly wintery this week.

I think I'll be learning a lot about growing with frost this year !

Bernie

4. bill

bill Junior Member

Jarrahdales are excellent keepers if you leave them on the vine until the stem is dry. Leave them as long as you can but it must be getting cold there now. I suspect very young fruit are not going to give you joy this late in the season.

5. macthedog

macthedog Junior Member

we were late with everything this year ! I think we'll get some of the larger fruit but the smaller ones will probably get hit with another frost before they manage much more. And most of the jarrahdales are smaller ......

6. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

yes the jarrahdale is a top keeper cousin to the qld blue, especially good if you season the skin in the sun as i suggested before, same treatment with the cutting of the stem. take the smaller ones too they may make good soup or scones eh chuckle?

the butternuts aren't a top keaper thouigh but down there they may keep longer than up here in the cooler air, cut the stems the same and season the skins all might help.

just growing 2 pumpkins and i don't know how lareg your garden is if you are keeping seeds from either you would need to have bagged the flowers before they opened and after you pollinate them to ensure no x pollination.

i've actually found jap pumpkins at the beginning of summer after being hidden in long grass and so protected from the frost, they tasted great.

i think once the soil cools the vine won't be doing anymore work.

len