Two questions about ducks.

Discussion in 'Breeding, Raising, Feeding and Caring for Animals' started by sun burn, Jul 12, 2010.

1. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

1. Should ducks be covered at night. Do they dislike being in the rain if its not heavy. Tonight i put up a tarp until i get my roof on but I was wondering if they were unhappy standing in the rain at night. Its winter but quite a warm one here. (in the tropics north queensland).

2.How old are ducks when they start to lay eggs. What should i do to get them to start laying if they don't seem to be doing it. Mine are over 9 months now. They are four ducks and one drake. I feed them two double handfuls of laying pellets at night and by day they go out and forage around our place. I think they must get enough to eat since they stop eating through most of they day and only graze in the mornings and late afternoon.

2. Adam

Adam Junior Member

They should have access to a shelter at night where they can be kept safe from predators and protected from inclement weather. They don't really like being left out in the open at night against the wind and rain. Giving them a shelter and some straw for nests will also give them a convenient place to lay their eggs.

Your ducks should be just around the age where they should start laying eggs, if they haven't started already. But are you sure they haven't started laying already? If you are allowing them to roam around in the day they could be laying somewhere that you aren't aware of.

3. permup

permup Junior Member

Ducks

Hi Sun Burn,

My ducks have never had shelter at night, although they are very welcome to go into the chicken house to get some; they prefer to sit under a tree. I don't have problems with foxes in my area, so they are safe there, but really you should provide this protection for them. They will lay their eggs in tall grasses and overgrown garden beds, so you may have to hunt for them. Ducks are very hardy and their only real requirement is safety from foxes, food and fresh water at all times.

Paula.

4. geoff

geoff Junior Member

As far as I know ducks lay their eggs overnight, so you shouldn't have trouble finding them if you're keeping them penned in at night.

5. Adam

Adam Junior Member

From the ducks I have experience with (Indian Runners), they liked to lay either at night or early in the morning. So I wouldn't rush to let them out in the morning -- late morning or early afternoon is a good time to let them out as they will probably not be laying after that for the remainder of the day.

6. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

Thank you for all replies. As noted by one person, i do keep them safely in a pen at night (protection from snakes - no foxes here), its just that it hasn't got a roof on it. The other night i put up a small tarp as it was drizzling but they don't seem to want to huddle under it. During the day i have noticed they like being under the sprinkler. I think the water brings lots of goodies up to the surface.

They are being let out early in the morning becuase that's when they like to scavenge in the garden. I only want the eggs for baby ducklings. I am not particularly interested in the eggs for eating. Maybe i am not giving them enough laying pellets. Or maybe they will start laying soon. I will have a look around for eggs soon in case i am missing them.