Tropicalfood forest.com ; Online retail supplier of rare or unusual tropical plants

Discussion in 'Permaculture consultants, businesses, resources' started by Tropical food forest, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Tropical food forest

Tropical food forest Junior Member

Tropical Food forest
    Small online mail order retail business specializing in rare Fruits, perennial vegetables and medicinal plants
    Our Focus is on the Dry tropics, but we also stock many species that tolerate wetter and colder areas
    We are fairly new to the tropics but we see a lot of unused potential. One of the hardest things has been gaining access to enough propagating material of enough species to start thinking about a design.
    Gardening up here is a breeze, but not with southern temperate plants!
    We continuously collect and propagate new plants. We import seed as well as search for homegardens where we can exchange materials with the owners. This strategy leads to some real rarities and plants with a history that we can pass on
    We’ve done and passed a PDC 3 times with 3 different teachers J They are fun to do! And can certainly assist you or your enlisted designer to choose and locate suitable plants for the tropical north.
    https://www.tropicalfoodforest.com
    We also have between us a Diploma in Aquaculture, BSc Molecular Biology & Biomedical Science, BSc Conservation biology, and Post Grad Dip (Education) and completing Post Grad Dip Sc (Tropical Ecology & Conservation). We hope thats given us a good background ;0 We love biology :)

2. Speedy

Speedy Junior Member

Welcome to the forum Tropical Food Forest. ;-)

3. aroideana

aroideana Junior Member

Welcome , you must travel just a little further north and visit Tully . Many rare fruit growers with some very rare stuff .

4. archerpalms

archerpalms New Member

Are there many permies around the Tully Mission beach area's?

5. Tropical food forest

Thanks people
    its lovely to be here

unfortunately due to a medical condition i cant drive atm
    its like ive been hobbled!

I did go on a field trip for my post grad studies and saw all kinds of northern agricultural activities
    pepper, coffee, teak, pastures, biodynamic dairy, papaya, crocodiles etc etc

unfortunately i couldnt get to the trip that went to a permaculture farm near cairns

was that anyone on here? because id love to arrange to visit some other time
    we dont have to just chat , we could weed while we chat
    i dont mind! lol

6. Tropical food forest

Also i reckon a lot of food gardeners will never be on here - cultural and language barriers

when i get on my bicycle and ride around random backstreets in Townsville i find so much!!

there are people growing food everywhere!

even the council. the streets are lines with tamarinds and otaheite gosseberries!

i reckon i could run an urban food production course with a little theory and a series of garden visits to show how people are already doing it. lol

7. Ive Fargottin

Ive Fargottin Junior Member

I'm up for that! :nod: