tropical low rain

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by gardenlen, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Senior Member

I live in a town that gets cut off every wet season,I chose it knowing this and quite like the isolation.
    The "yuppy" business people in town want to get the government to make the roads all weather so they can make more money out of tourism.
    I say let them flood, like they always have and if they want to make more money they should move to town surrounded with all weather roads and not try and ruin mine.

2. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

It's the Government's fault for not restoring power fast enough?

I've spent the past 5 days working 12 hour shifts, leaving the house at 345am to cut our way through thousands of trees to help power utilities try and restore power. The sheer scope of the trees over lines and roads in places (and through houses) is extensive. We even did some things that Energex said they had not seen done to clear lines from under trees without getting our heads ripped off.

While sometimes I feel we may be understaffed, to maintain a staff to cover events like this is too prohibitive.

I'm tired and cranky.

3. mouseinthehouse

mouseinthehouse Junior Member

Len, I can assure you, from personal experience, that whilst any of us could probably find much that our government could do differently or better, we are a LONG, LONG, LONG, LONG (is that enough longs?) way from having to deal with third world level problems or responses during disasters like this.

4. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

there is no changing our situation mark, so need to move on from that one, and yes i remember you bringing communal type living forward, but for us it is not and never was an option.

teh relationship though broad to 3rd world infrastructure not the people is that in 3rd world places my guess is that what ever gov' is there chooses to not spend money or there are no taxes to do the work. so here we should be after 200 years of settlement be much further advanced surely, we pay high taxes; land rates & vehicle registrations.

now the bruce highway for at least up to rockhampton has been rebuilt at least twice total relocation, so why did not these insipid pollies be sure that the whole road was flood free?? we see the remnants of older highways along the verge every day. they have not long ago after taking around 10 years finished a white elephant up grade looking like a sore toe, because it is stuck out there being serviced by single lane highway.

before now gympie should have had a flood free highway right to gympie. that is not to take away that at least to rocky it should all be flood free up toward maryborough and bundaberg it is a high fatality highway as well. as for our main connect out they at least came and lay a single lane road base stretch over the wash away. someone should lose their job over that one.

yes i agree it is the gov' but it is their choice of CEO who needs to be held accountable, i did not blame the workers.

len

5. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

Len, I reckon you and millions of other Australians expect too much. That is why slap-dash bits and pieces of everything get done to a lesser standard. It is unrealistic for a government to do everything that greedy australians demand and so they do a little bit of this and a little bit of that and just enough here or there to get re-elected.

If we as individuals, as a society (and thus as a government) did less things to higher standard we probably could build some pretty amazing things. We don't.

We import shit we don't need from China and then complain when it is sub-standard.

The only way to get great things for you and your community is for you and your community to develop resilience, to work together towards common goals. Once you rely on government handouts and government funding and government what ever, you have the problem of having the government involved. Big Federal and State governments are basically useless to a small community in real terms. If a community cannot survive without the Federal or State government then I postulate that the community doesn't deserve to survive.

In My Opinion

6. gardenlen

sorry! we for one don't expect too much we do need a standard above poor.

we import from china because our manufacturing has gone off shore.

yep agree our gov' structure does not work but getting something better is not about to happen hey. there's nothing better out there.

so when you want your roads resurfaced you and your society dig deep and do it? is that so? that system might work if no rates or taxes were collected then a community might collectively have more money available, but that won't work as the greedy will still be there. getting what we have already paid for is hardly a hand out, a hand out is when you dig deep for charity or the like, but then that is a tax deduction hey?

len

7. Grasshopper

Join the queue behind the other 7 billion
    Goodluck with there being enough resources

8. gardenlen

talking about australia here, clouding the issue will only support our gov' getting away with it.

len

9. Grasshopper

Owning your house growing your own food,collecting your own water, living cheap,warm climate less clothes, less heating, your richer than most pensioners, virtually all the unemployed. a lot of renters.all the homeless and even richer than a lot of the working poor with crippling mortgages.

10. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

G'day Len

Why?

Cheerio, Markos

11. gardenlen

i could say none of your business mark,

nothing i care to debate

and it is none of your business, the gov' might very well take our liberties away and force us all into high density living, with about 130sq/mts of space to live in.

knew you'd ask because in post pasts you have asked.

i wouldn't say richer grasshopper, wealth has nothing to do with it we live from fortnight to fortnight, with just enough fuel in the car to get to hospital. definately we manage what we get pretty good, lots don't. first step was to find affordable land but before we signed on land we had to work out an affordable structure to live in. so get it right hey. many want to stay put with higher costs.

len

12. gardenlen

just to qualify, before anyone gets upset or carried away, and judges us incorrectly, in the past at least a couple of times in these like threads mark has bought up communal living to us we have tried to explain on those past occasions that it is not our bag, but mark pushes why i don't know if he likes that living all good and well, we aren't interested. and as grasshopper thinks we are rich pensioners not so, even if we were we would not live in those expensive gated communities, the weekly rent on a structure you own is exorbitant. we have spoken to those residence over the years we researched it and from our stand point you are putting what money you might have buying an over priced unit the selling of which is determined by will someone else want to live there.

would rather live in a transportable home on a caravan park, but there again your investment is at risk. researched a said permaculture one near the sunshine coast was not impressed. all gardening was on shared space and strict planting controls. anyone else is welcome to it.

for those who are happy where they are all good and well we won't be drawn into criticism.

len

13. ecodharmamark

G'day Len

All the more reason to live in a cohousing community that is located closer to city services such as hospitals, etc, and where you have access to a vehicle (and maybe someone to drive it for you when the time comes that you are unable to do it yourself) that is always full of petrol (or has its battery charged) and always ready to go in an emergency. The advantage of having a community owned 'emergency' vehicle is that the running costs - registration, insurance, servicing, maintenance and depreciation - are spread across all of the community members, with individual weekly outlays by each member totalling only a few dollars. How much does your current vehicle cost you to operate each week, for how long are you going to be able to drive it, and what good is it to you if you have no roads to drive it upon?

How much space do you need? An architecturally designed, modest two bedroom, two wet room, ground floor (so you do not have negotiate stairs) dwelling, with plenty of private space for sleeping, eating, personal study, storage, etc., and plenty of semi private space including front and rear verandahs/patios - places where you can quietly read, grow some fruit and veg, relax, pat the community cat, and generally wait for a friendly neighbour to come along and have a chat with you - could all easily be accommodated on 130 sqm, and only costing around $150 k.

But is it really affordable? Lets say the land cost you $100 k, and the shed a further $50 k. For the same amount of money you could be living in a cohousing community with very little ongoing cost; perhaps a few dollars each week toward the Council rates bill, and that's it. Everything else - solar/wind generated electricity, rainwater capture and storage facility, telecommunication transmission tower, biogas plant, community food gardens, biological sewerage system - is all community owned, and all contained on site. Apart from your car expenses (including petrol), Council rates, and your $70-100 grocery bill, how much does it cost you each week to provide yourself with all of these other services?

Elder cohousing is not some sort of new age cult, Len. Many groups of differing life philosophies, or even groups of exclusive faiths have been doing it for a long time. And the reason they do it is not because of some government conspiracy to create a new world order and herd everyone into high density living. They do it because it makes economic, social, cultural and environmental sense.

Try reading the book, Len. Or, in the least, have a look at the information contained at the above links. You might be very pleasantly surprised to learn that the elder cohousing concept offers solutions to the many problems in your life that you constantly write about.

Cheerio, Markos

14. ecodharmamark

G'day Len

Studying one situation out of hundreds is hardly what you would call a valid research sample.

If you wanted to do some critical, unbiased, statistically valid research, I would be more than happy to help you. Like I have continually said, intentional, communal living (such as cohousing) makes economic, social, cultural and environmental sense. Are you that afraid of having your world view challenged that you will not even consider it?

Cheerio, Markos

15. mouseinthehouse

mouseinthehouse Junior Member

I am not sure its exactly what Markos is referring to but.....
    My Nanna always stated that she would NEVER live in any sort of 'retirement' home (bad choice of name too, but commonly used). After my Grandfather died, my much younger Nanna continued living in her cottage with large block for some years continuing to espouse all that was wrong with retirement villages and why she would never go there.
    Then a little later, with no change in her health or circumstances, she informed us she wanted to move there. And move there she did and continues to live there and thrives on it. She is so busy with all manner of interests. She has a little garden area she can manage. She has spare money to have coffee or lunch in town with the 'girls'. Money enough to treat her great grandchildren. Nanna and Grandpa never had a nest egg, they were true battlers, they didn't own their own home (my parents bought the modest cottage for them) so Nanna went in with no money at all. She pays rent from her pension and her electricity and can choose to cook in her unit or pay a small amount per day for meals in the communal hall. Her unit is maintained to a high standard. She can access the town centre on the community bus if she chooses at no cost. Nanna has no problem getting by on her pension.
    Obviously many people want to remain much more active and independent on their own patch of ground for as long as they can. I know I want to even if it doesn't make economical sense. It might not make environmental or cultural sense either but that is the way I would have it as I cannot mentally or emotionally cope in a close community. So Len, I respect your choice. However, given my Nanna's experience, I realise that my feelings on this could possibly change at a later stage and I am pleased to be able to witness how this has happened with my Nan and how positive it has been.

16. gardenlen

mark i don't know what you are fishing for, but don't go there. the race has been run and from where we stand won. need to get the idea choice made can't be changed. like mouseinthehouse says what we do in the future might then be another kettle of fish.

debate over before it starts.

we've made our choice.

len

17. Grasshopper

My point was related to you constantly complaining on numerous threads about your poverty,lack of money "forced to eat only sausages and mince" and governments not doing enough for you.
    Everyone on benefits lives from fortnight to fortnight. (most on a lot less than you)
    Quite a few cant even afford the car to put the petrol in.
    Most dont have a choice/finances to move.
    Most dont get a veterans health care card.
    Most dont have access to a veggy patch.
    Some times the problem isnt how much money you have, but how you budget to fulfil your expectations.

My car costs me $1200 a year even if I dont drive it, just for insurance and registration, add fuel, repairs and the interest on the money if I kept it in the bank and caught a bus.(its closer to $2000 a year)
    A dog costs about $1000 a year.
    A weekly coffee at a cafe costs $200 a year.
    I could smoke
    I could have a Pokie addiction
    I could give 10% to the church

If I chose to have 2 cars and 4 dogs and drink coffee I can spend my time on the internet complaining about governments not doing enough for me and how poor I am, yet they subsidise solar panels and wind farms and let the road flood near me too.

Your rich Len ,you would probably be considered a a yuppy in other less fortunate pensioners eyes and most of the other 7 billion poorer people of the world.

18. juhill

juhill Junior Member

How did this get from rain to wealth??
    You're only as rich as you feel.
    I'm tired and have brain fog.........

19. gardenlen

grasshopper i think you ahe gone right off topic and taken past remarks as something more than waht they were, but yes sausages and mince are our staple, our wealth is our simple life and us and our family.

and your oterh misconception we have one and one only12 year old car, teh dogs are refugees no one wanted them, one was enough but we are soft touches so made room for a second, it's called humanity, we have one cup of coffee at home each morning, you need know no more guess all you like.

no bus services here

len

20. ecodharmamark

G'day Len

Yet another reason to consider living in an intentional community ;).

Car pooling, community bus, or even just a short stroll down to the local urban hub... think of all the money you would save by not having to run that old petrol guzzler.

Cheerio, Markos