tropical low rain

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by gardenlen, Jan 26, 2013.

1. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

ok,

hey never seen so much rain 407mm since 9am yesterday, had to empty guage twice so as not to lose any. 81mm yesterday; saturday; 71mm for friday from 12 noon when rain guage was installed. wind wise starting to ease here.

coastal NSW next then east vic?

be good to see it cover the fire areas but it is far from rained out, be interesting to see what it might do once it crosses over water again? time will tell.

all berms working well they look like dams.

len

2. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

I'm also impressed with the amount of rain. Haven't braved out today to look at my gauge but I'm sure it is now overflowing so I'll never know. The rate limiting step in my water system is the pump that moves water from the tank beside the house (5000L) to the 20,000L header tank at the top of the property. It has been running continuously since lunchtime on Thursday and the rain over night has been so heavy that a lot of it is spilling out of the tank to the storm drain before the pump can catch up with it!

So far only a few small plants have been knocked over, but I usually lose bananas when it gets wet and windy like this.

3. annette

annette Junior Member

Absolutely bucketing down here. Only wish i had more tanks to store it all. It's very windy, branches down all over the place. Banana trees just hanging in there, not sure for how long though. Not venturing out at all. It's either a feast or famine isn't it?

4. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Sure is! My son is heading out to work soon. Not sure if he'll be able to get there yet...

5. mouseinthehouse

mouseinthehouse Junior Member

So wish we could get some of it! Hasn't rained here for three months.

6. annette

annette Junior Member

11.30am. It's getting worse. Now it's bloody tornadoes. One just hit Bribie Island and Bundaberg has been copping it. Never heard of a tornado in Queensland before. WTF? Glad I moved from beach to bush.

Hope you are OK Len, Eco, bazzman and SOP.

My daughter had planned to go up to Noosa northshore on Thursday and I talked her out of it. Thank goodness she didn't go. She would have been flooded in by now.

7. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

prob' be right by thirsday annette,

this is our first rain since end of july all tanks and 200 litre drums and washing machine full, plus many buckets, quiet now rain stopped no wind.

son inlaw works the mines west of toowoomba all work stopped due to flooding they might have to move all the crew to another camp where there is more food.

tornado type storms have occured before about 40 years ago there was a big one came down through mt coot tha, down to fig tree pocket area, i think somewhere up the valley way december or november last year they had one may have been miles as well dunno?

good stuff

len

8. annette

annette Junior Member

Hi Len

No she was going up last Thursday and would have been up there now.

All tanks full here too. Old pool is filling and it doesn't hold water much at all. Raining more than it can drain. That's how hard it's raining here. Trees are bending 45 degrees, things flying everywhere. It might be because I'm on the side of a hill I'm getting more wind up the hill and big gully.

I didn't know about the tornadoes. There was a big water sprout at Margate years ago. I remember that. It is like a cyclone here.

But you're right, it's good stuff. Just don't want anyone hurt.

Take care
    Annette

9. annette

annette Junior Member

woops there goes another banana tree plant. Just lost 4 all loaded with bunches. They one that is left with a bunch just had a bush turkey hanging on for dear life in the wind still trying to eat the unripe bananas. Talk about persistance.

10. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Almost 3 pm. The wind has eased up a bit. The rain did too and I went and put on my gardening clothes but by the time I had it was raining again. I want to get out there and see what has happened. I can see several large branches have fallen in the chook run. I think my bananas are all still erect. Can't say the say for the corn though.....

My son made it to work safely but Coronation Road through Nambour is now under water. So he may not be getting home! I'm sure sleeping in the kitchen at the RSL will be a nice experience for him....

11. annette

annette Junior Member

Still going strong here eco. Non stop wind and rain. Definately cyclonic. Roads closed around here too. People still driving through flooded roads though. Hope your son stays safe and well. At least he'll get some nosh at the RSL.

North Pine River is up very high and I believe they may release more water. People down the road from me are flooded. I'm up high but water getting in underneath the house from torrents of water coming down the hill.

Stay safe.

12. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Almost 5 pm and the wind and rain are back with a vengeance! There's a lovely torrent of water running down my 'dry creek bed' feature of the garden and out onto the driveway. At least the water is clear, so my top soil is staying put.

13. annette

annette Junior Member

Almost 6 and still no let up here. I have little rivers all over the place. They just said that this will be like this till tomorrow lunch time. My daughter has lost power at Narangba because of downed trees. I can't believe that trees can bend so much without breaking. except banana trees. garden is awash. We are all having showers and getting buckets of water in case the power goes off here. I've got gas so can still cook.

14. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

I've worked the past 3 days and have been sent home for a 10 hour rest and back to work tomorrow at 6am for another shift.

Chopped up a serious amount of trees today. A lot of large Eucs have come down in places. We were on a ridge next to a cleared valley and a very large Euc came down, I've never been out working in wind like that. It ripped the door out of someone's hands and bent it off its hinges. The chipper filled up with water and wobbled when it ran.

We just spent the last 2 hours roping up a 20m Euc that had grown up from a damaged stump (3 leaders) and was audibly cracking in the strong gusts and leaning towards a house. Tractor got bogged getting there so we rigged up a double pulley system with ropes, carabiners and pulleys and managed to fall it away from the house. It was harrowing but went well. Saved the house and any injuries.

As for everywhere else, branches and trees down across the whole council area. We had puddles in the foot well of the truck and it feels so good to be out of the boots.

All the best to everyone else.

P.S. The worst news. A Pigeon Pea fell over.

15. annette

annette Junior Member

I thought you may have been busy SOP. It's still a nightmare here on the hill. Lost more banana trees this afternoon. A friend just posted a piccie of a tornado at mooloolaba this afternoon. The wind is incredible. Lights keep dipping.

You take care when you are out there tomorrow in this.

cheers
    Annette

ps. sorry about the pidgeon pea. lol

16. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

Payback for all those years of bludging, leaning on my custom rake (its got suspension, a crutch handle on the end of it, and a small radio built into the shaft).

17. briansworms

briansworms Junior Member

The Gold Coast is going to get it tonight. We have the wind and rain but not the amount that everyone else is getting. Just checked my weather station and it is showing 64mm since it statred and only 31mm for today. Then I noticed it wasn't picking up the signal from the rain gauge, bugger I have only just put the rain gauge back after after the new roof went on and changed all the batteries. Once it re connects it will give me the reading. Will keep you posted.

18. annette

annette Junior Member

Rain has stopped. Still a bit windy. Still no power. Been out since 10.30 last night.

19. briansworms

briansworms Junior Member

It will be interesting to see how Campbell Newman will explain this latest flood in Brisbane. He canned the previous government over the last flood and the other day was saying Brisbane wont flood. Where is Campbell? Maybe the hand up his back moving his head and mouth got waterlogged. At least Anna was out there and was the face of the Emergency Management at the time.

20. juhill

juhill Junior Member

We are still having drizzly rain here I have had enough rain... so much for the 2010/2011 floods being a once in a 100 yr flood event.
    The dam here was nearly dry but it is full overflowing and banking up to the food forest fence posts.
    We lost power here last night at 9.30pm and it came back on this morning at 11.15am I rang around and found out they still had power in town.
    I will need to grow wings if I want to get to town....or maybe take up white water rafting

I've tried to upload a photo but no luck.....