Tropical exotic vegetables

Discussion in 'Recipes & Remedies' started by sun burn, Aug 31, 2010.

1. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

Is anyone growing any of these. What ones do you like to eat? I thought i might try a few this summer.

2. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Depends on what you call an exotic vegetable. Choko? (just joking)
    I ate some of my young loofahs last year - think zucchini. And I've grown and eaten poor mans bean and rice bean and jicama. And hairy melon. And cassava and arrowroot. (well I grew the arrowroot, but I wanted more so I replanted it without eating it).
    The jicama I really liked and am planning a LOT more of. Even the kids liked it.

3. floot

floot Junior Member

I grow a brassica called Senposai which the family really like. It is a loose leaf type cabbage which you can start leaf picking at a few weeks of age and the plants really thrive. A very easy way to keep permanent greens available throughout the year without having to 'crop' them. It is not a perennial but the plants last for months and are not prone to bolting.

It grows like cabbage and does not produce a kale like stalk. You can plant it fairly thickly too as it quickly smothers most weeds.

I dunno how new it is I found my first seeds [YATES] about 20 years ago. You can start picking it here in about 20 days. I would recommend this plant highly for anyone living tropical as not too many brassicas can handle our 'build-up' and wet seasons. I would normally plant this on an 8'x4' bed and plant around 75-100 seeds. Not at the moment but previously I would grow 2 beds a year. Pick from the bottom up. I have also grown this in containers and an old sink.

Ye Olde Cabbage moth doesn't seem to bother them or home in on them.

I have used it many different ways but generally we steam it [for health reasons] and then put butter and pepper on it [ which is indefensible but it makes it taste sooooo gooooood!].

This is probably my favourite vegie plant and much preferred over the boks, sums, choys etc which really cant handle our tough season anyway. This probably does not fit into the 'tropical category' in origin but it certainly deserves it's place in my garden.

cheers,

4. Fernando Pessoa

Fernando Pessoa Junior Member

I love the winged bean.Eat the whole plant full of protien super easy grower,great yield.

5. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    Eco,
    come on needing recipes for Jicama soon
    How do you cook it/ eat it?

6. permasculptor

permasculptor Junior Member

7. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Hi Mischief.
    It is the root of the plant (the seed is poisonous apparently so don't get confused). The skin peels off easily with the edge of a sharp knife when it is fresh. You can eat it raw - potato texture but apple flavour, grate it into a salad, steam it, boil it (it is a bit too firm for mashing like potato) or roast it. You could probably make hash browns / rosti with it but I haven't tried that.

8. Speedy

Speedy Junior Member

I like jicama sliced thin (after peeling) with a dip into salt/chile powder mix then squeeze of lime juice.
    or fresh birds eye chillis pounded with salt and sugar (and maybe some dried shrimp) and lime juice and dip slices in and eat.

Jicama, when cooked retains it's crunch, much like water chestnut for which it is a suitable substitute.

9. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

I'm glad people love the winged bean cause i've ordered a packet of seeds. I've seen them around locally and while they look interesting, i think my experiences with fantastic looking things in India have put me off. Or perhaps i am just closed minded. Anyway reassurance and ideas for good things to eat from others is what i what i need and value at the moment. I've also ordered jicama. I like the name. The brokoli thing floot is talking about sounds promising. I will try that at some point too. I've got 10 new things coming in the post from Green Harvest seeds. I'm getting a tree called Agati which has edible flowers. Its a legume tree. I can't remember the names of the others and i seem to have deleted the list.

Speaking of edible flowers, when i was in India earlier this year, i came upon this lovely tree called something marwah which has a most delicious sweet edible flower. The locals collect them from the ground by the basketful in spring and make an alcohol which i haven't tried but i'd love to grow that tree alone just to eat the flowers. If anyone goes to India try to find some seed for that tree. It will grow where Floot lives i think. I was in Madhya Pradesh which is hot and fairly dry area. Of course they have a monsoon there. Look up MAHUA https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madhuca_longifolia Wiki's entry is informative.

While looking for info just now on Mahua, i came upon a description of how to make jacfruit wine on a link about "traditional acohol brews in india," I must say i rather like this idea as I am going to grow jacfruit.

I know this post is a bit off topic so please keep adding your ideas to this thread.

10. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

I should add, I don't support or promote smuggling exotic seeds cause they can be trouble for the environment, as well as for you coming through customs.

11. Speedy

Speedy Junior Member

Agati is Sesbania grandiflora
    It's also known in Sri Lanka as 'katuramurunga' where the flowers and leaves are eaten see my post (#25) for (Katuramurunga) Mallum in the 'What to do with turmeric' thread.
    https://forums.permaculture.org.au/showthread.php?7859-What-to-do-with-turmeric

Ive also seen it in Indonesia (known there as Turi) and Thailand (Dok khae)

there is a red- flowered form (species?) that is used in the same way.

Mahwa is a member of the Sapotaceae family (so many useful species around the world) and a very important honey source in India.

I was looking for seeds of this species about 20 yrs ago and there where a few plants being grown in WA. but I dont know if they're still growing.
    It is a tree worthy of growing in Aust.

Bringing seeds into Aust. IS perfectly legal , just make sure they're clean and clearly labelled and declare them on arrival.
    some seeds are prohibited, some restricted (you need a permit) and many are permitted.
    Best idea is to go to the AQIS website and find out what is and isn't permitted.
    For expediency, it's also a good idea to email AQIS before you depart, to alert them of your arrival and flight no. so that they know what to expect.
    I've found them to be usually very helpful if you're up front about it.