treetopsdreaming - one family's slow journey...

Discussion in 'Members' Systems' started by treetopsdreaming, Mar 25, 2013.

1. treetopsdreaming

treetopsdreaming Junior Member

high-level diagram of zones

The following high-level diagram outlines the various (permaculture) zones on our property:

[​IMG]

The following table provides more detailed information about the use of zones on our property: (Hopefully, the table will display correctly in the forum)...

[​IMG]

Of course, the next goal is to create detail-level diagrams for each of the individual zones...

Until then, happy permaculturing :)

2. Xio

Xio Junior Member

Plenty of scrub around you, what's your fire plan like? Would like to see some contour lines added to the last pic & I'll now start to have a read through your blog.

Cheers
    Xio

3. treetopsdreaming

Hi Xio. Thanks for the feedback.

I agree that contour lines will be an important addition to the diagram (but, this activity will have to wait until I can resolve some issues with google maps). To answer your question, the property slopes towards the south west and probably drops approximately 50-60 metres in the process. (As I mentioned in an earlier post, the property is challenging)...

In terms of our fire plan, it's a big (and important) question. However, I can only provide a very quick reply at this time. Ben is a fully qualified member of the RFS (Rural Fire Service) as are several of our neighbours. So, in terms of knowledge and support, we are reasonably well positioned.

Our property is located in a wildlife corridor. However, much of the land outside our diagram is actually cleared pasture. As a result, our property would likely be defendable if fire approached (downslope) from the north or the east. However, if fire approached (upslope) from the south or the west, we would be in for an challenging time. (Interestingly, having a south west aspect means that there is a significantly higher degree of moisture available in the ground and surrounding flora).

At present, we have a stand-alone (diesel) pump, 2 decent fire hoses and 2 good water sources (a dam and a dedicated fire fighting tank). We also have roller shields on our most exposed second story windows. We are constantly working to reduce our fire load. However, after 3 extraordinarily wet years, we are behind in managing our biggest issue (which is forest undergrowth). We have plans to one day clear zone 3 to create a fenced pasture (which would provide a better fire break). We also have plans to buy some fire resistant foam (that can be applied to exterior walls), to install a sprinkler system and to install better windows (and/or more roller shields). Budget (which really translates into time) is our issue...

Interestingly, the RFS would like to do a controlled burn throughout the entire corridor (which we support). However, the complexity (of new regulations and of dealing with multiple property owners) has seen this activity delayed several times.

Because we are not yet fully fire prepared, we leave the property on very high fire risk days. (Fortunately, this only happens for a few days each year). We have also looked into high quality underground fire shelters. In the end, this might be the most important part of our fire plan (as everything else is insured)...

4. treetopsdreaming

Our garden calendar...

Lately, there have been some inspiring posts on the forum about garden calendars. So, here is an initial attempt at our winter garden calender. The calendar outlines what our garden feels like, what's in flower, what's in crop, what the animals are doing, what needs planting and what needs doing...

Hopefully the image displays correctly (sorry for the small print)...

[​IMG]

The next step in this activity will be to create calendars for the spring, summer and autumn seasons. We will also be creating seasonal photo galleries and artwork (based on our observations)... Until next time, happy permaculturing :)

5. treetopsdreaming

Our "winter" wheel of the year...

Here is our "winter" wheel of the year:

[​IMG]

Although it's pretty basic right now, I hope the wheel will help us to better connect with the seasons in our garden. I especially like the idea of "turning" the wheel to celebrate the arrival of a new season. We will eventually complete our wheel (as we continue to make observations for other seasons).

Has anyone else made a wheel (or something similar)? If so, please share :)

6. annette

annette Junior Member

Love your work Elaine. You have such beautiful creativity and practicality.

7. treetopsdreaming

Hi Annette. Thanks for taking the time to leave such a nice comment :)

I was originally inspired to create the wheel by one of eco's posts (from ages ago now). Before discovering this forum, I hadn't ever taken the time to consider the "wheel of the year". How very sad...

Needless to say, I'm so glad to have found this place with it's interesting people and thought provoking topics. Now, I have so many ideas, I would have to live until 90 to try them all :)

8. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Can't wait for Imbolc to roll around again.... There are signs in my garden that spring is coming soon.

9. treetopsdreaming

kids abc scavenger hunt

We've just completed a kids abc scavenger hunt for our garden. This fun activity takes us on a journey through our zone 1 and 2 (permaculture) garden areas and through all 26 letters of the alphabet! Our goal is to find as many different plants and animals from A to Z as possible... Here is our list so far (please feel free to borrow the list for your own adventure or to use it as a source of inspiration to make your own):

[​IMG]

This activity can be enjoyed in many different ways. For example, the entire family can participate in the adventure together, older kids can go off on their own (with a digital camera or notebook to record their discoveries), or the activity can be timed...

Our next step will be to take photos of our A-Z discoveries and add them to a photo gallery. Until then, happy permaculturing!

10. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Love it!

11. treetopsdreaming

garden jobs

Hi again, all. Well, when you own a property, there are always at least a few jobs on the "to do" list. Over the past week, I've been working to collect leaf mulch (mostly eucalyptus and brush box). This annual maintenance task is important for several reasons. First, it helps to reduce the fire risk (in our zone 1 garden areas) as we enter the fire season. Second, it helps to protect our access route (from washing away due to blocked drains) as we enter the storm season. And, third, it provides a great garden resource, for free!

In a good year, I can easily collect 30-40 wheelbarrows full. This wonderful resource is then used as a mulch for the edge of our zone 2 (permaculture) garden areas. From experience, I know this mulch will eventually be worked throughout the entire zone 2 areas (by our chickens, other wildlife and gravity). In the end, it's a big, but satisfying garden job. Here are a few pictures to enjoy. (I was particularly happy to see the red-bellied black snake making use of the leaf litter).

an annual garden job - collecting leaf mulch
    [​IMG]

an annual garden job - using leaf mulch
    [​IMG]

a red-bellied black snake - enjoying the leaf mulch
    [​IMG]

And, that brings me to ask "what garden job did you do today?" [​IMG]