Tree Kale as chop n drop?

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Diggman, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Diggman

Diggman Junior Member

Climate:
    Temperate, always cloudy, lots of rain (& slugs)
    Hi, I unwittingly let my kale get decimated by caterpillars so all the big leaves (mostly +- 60cm / 2 feet long) were all not worth eating, I dont know why I assumed that kale had litttle pest problems? It may be because I viewed a video online about tree kale and the guy didnt mention anything about pests, he is an organic grower and he wasnt netting them (his were all 8+ feet tall!!) So they were chopped last night and piled up on one section of a bed for decomposition over this autumn / winter.

A: is kale a good chop and drop nutrients wise?
    B: is it okay that it is spread thickly or must it be spread thinly since it is fresh? In some spots it might be about 5cm thick due to the thick stems and it still being so fresh.

Onr more question, I read somewhere on this forum that pine needles make a good mulch for strawberries, a guy I work with is questioning this by stating that the needles would acidify the soil too much, if anyone can shed some light on this that would be great! Would the pine cones also create an acid soil if composted?

Thanks

2. Australian Beekeeper

Australian Beekeeper Junior Member

Can't answer the first question but regarding the second: The reasoning behind this is that strawberries like slightly acidic soil. You might see the same recommendation for other acid lovers such as blueberries etc.

3. bazman

bazman Junior Member

I would say tree kale leaf would be fine as a chop and drop, but I think it would be better in the compost. I like to use plants which grow like weeds with little attention as chop and drop. Has anyone got any Tree Kale seed (aust) as I would like to try this myself. I grow lots of kale here and it's a big part of my diet.

4. Diggman

Diggman Junior Member

Climate:
    Temperate, always cloudy, lots of rain (& slugs)
    Hi baz, I got my seeds from a seller on ebay in portugal, they were the only people selling tree kale seeds at that time and Im 100% sure it is them who sold me my tamarillo seeds a month later as well, so if you find the listing and its from Portugal then it must be them and you can guarantee they are a trustworthy seller.