Tree change.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by John Gros, Oct 27, 2012.

1. John Gros

John Gros Junior Member

I am thinking of moving to somewhere out west, way out west NSW Australia to start my PC forest.
    I have just been looking at rainfall for Broken Hill. In good years I see it will be easy, hard years I don't know if it will work. 200mm of rain seems harsh, I calculated how much I can get off a 10m by 10m roof in such a year. I guess my next step will be to check out the rainfall in morocco.
    Oh and my name is John.

2. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

G'Day John.

I'm sure if a forest can grow naturally there, you will eek out something with the right choices.

3. John Gros

John Gros Junior Member

Thanks for the reply. There is no forest. There are some trees, and some shrubs and some grasses with large bare patches between. I have been watching videos and have decided that, its going to be hard for the first five years. But it should work, for several reasons, one being micro climate, and the second being gardening, or mans input. I think that I should be able to use all the water that falls on the property multiple times, by generating a micro climate and getting dew from the transpiration.
    Masanobu Fukuoka says plants make rain, his theory is the cooler the ground due to plants allows rain to fall more easily. Geoff Lawton has his greening the desert projects in Jordan. John D. Lui has his projects in china and africa. I have also seen home grown african efforts of zai culture. Plus it did get only 75mm one year in thirty, the next lowest is 200mm, three years out of five. Then there are the good years of 400mm+. So I have hope.

4. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

5. John Gros

John Gros Junior Member

Thank you S.O.P, that is very heartening. I particularly liked that he verified what Masanobu Fukuoka had claimed and backed it with statistics. I suspect it will be harder for me as he had green grasses to start with. But that's OK I have lots of time.