Treating a sick chook

Discussion in 'Breeding, Raising, Feeding and Caring for Animals' started by mouseinthehouse, Jan 30, 2013.

1. mouseinthehouse

mouseinthehouse Junior Member

On the long weekend we noticed one of our ISA browns was not well. She was a bit fluffed up, not foraging and lethargic.
    After a bit of investigation and googling we thought she might have sour crop? We gently flushed out her crop according to directions I found on the net. Since then we have been feeding her a little oat bran mixed with good home made yoghurt and a bit of apple cider vinegar. This morning she looked a bit brighter and I soaked some Barko dry dog food in warm water, mixed some yoghurt in and also gave her some soft ripe tomato.
    She was more interested in eating which was encouraging. Hope I am doing the right thing. Any thoughts?

2. briansworms

briansworms Junior Member

A little food grade DE (Diatomateous Earth) in her food. May help with any internal parasites. Just a thought. Ben from South Carolina takes it every day and swears by it. Must be food grade though. You can get it here https://www.plantdoctor.com.au/

3. mouseinthehouse

Thanks Brian :)

I will have a look here in the health food store but failing that I will try the link you provided. Tonight the chook is still poorly :(

4. Ludi

Ludi Junior Member

mouse, can you describe more about how you flushed the crop? One of my hens became cropbound a couple years ago and I was not able to save her, was not able to clear the crop and she died.

5. mouseinthehouse

Well we got a large plastic syringe and my partner attached about 12 cm of flexible rubber type tube over the end where the needle usually goes (he used new fuel line meant for model aeroplanes). Then we carefully syringed water and apple cider vinegar down into the crop. You have to be very careful that you get it into the right hole at the back of the mouth (not the breathing hole). Then we gently massaged the crop and I tipped her head down at the same time and she regurgitated the liquid and some goop up. Straight away I righted her to allow her to get a good breath and then we repeated the same a couple of times.

6. briansworms

briansworms Junior Member

How is the chook doing?

7. mouseinthehouse

Chook not doing well today. She eats but only if I present her with food. No DE here in town and I don't think she will last for me to get any by post. :( I think I will get some anyway and have on hand. I believe ISA browns don't live that long? Although I think she is probably only about 4 yrs. She came from a chook farm (sort of free range) at about 18 months old I think.

8. annette

annette Junior Member

Hi MITH

It's a long shot but check her for ticks. Mine got like that and I found a tick on her red flap underneath. I pulled it off and she got better. Just a thought.

9. mouseinthehouse

Thanks annette but we don't have ticks here thankfully! :)

10. chook-in-eire

chook-in-eire Junior Member

Four years is quite ancient for an ISA Brown. These hybrids are bred for high production and "spend" themselves pretty quickly - "burn out" in other words. She may simply be on the way out. :angel: