transplanting trees

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by our eden, Oct 8, 2008.

1. our eden

our eden Junior Member

Home Page:
    Climate:
    Warm Mediterranean
    we have just moved onto 5 hectars of land with many young trees that were planted less than a year ago. the problem is that they were planted very close together in a monoculture system and with very little thought to plant communities. they were planted last february, would it still be possible to transplant them and how best to go about it?
    Keep up the good work everyone.

2. paradisi

paradisi Junior Member

Re: transplanting trees

a couple of questions

where are you & what sort of trees - - need to know this so I can advise you on transplangin.....

why are they too close?? I have more than 50 fruit trees and vines on 280 square metres of soil.
    competition will limit their crops, but unless you plan to make a fortune out of them most people only need a certain amount of one type of food a week/month/year

3. our eden

our eden Junior Member

Home Page:
    Climate:
    Warm Mediterranean

they are too close because there is a lot of monoculture and no space to interplant with other crops or companion trees. ie we have 20 cherries with 3 metres between each one, twelve birches with 1 metre spacing.
    So mostly we┬┤ll be trying to transplant cherry and birch. Also are there any general guidelines or ideas on transplanting successfully. We would like to use the trees that are there in other parts of the land as they're a great resource but in their current placing they are a great draw on our energy.
    ta

4. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

If you want to move your deciduous trees you will need to do it in the winter when they are dormant. I would take the time between now and then to prepare the soil as best you can in their new positions. How you do this best will depend on your soil type etc. The more info you can give people the better they can help. For example how big the trees are, your climate etc etc

Cheers

Grahame

5. barely run

barely run Junior Member

I have apple trees that may have to be moved next winter if the current site isn't sucessful. Advice from my organic nursery was to feed them well this spring/summer so they are strong for a transplant in the middle of next winter. Same advice should work for your cherry and birch.
    Cheers
    cathy