training chickens to eat slugs

Discussion in 'Breeding, Raising, Feeding and Caring for Animals' started by paul wheaton, Aug 12, 2010.

1. paul wheaton

paul wheaton Junior Member

2. Woz

Woz Junior Member

Ha! Love it! Paul, your videos are always entertaining and informative.

Woz

3. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

Is it best to cut, slice, dice, or julienne my 4" long sausage sized leopard slugs (Limax maximus) :)

-wiki

4. solarpoweredplants

solarpoweredplants Junior Member

haha I love watching chickens, they are rather entertaining.
    In Hawaii we had more of a problem with snails than slugs but chickens will eat both.
    If you go to a thrift store or yard sale an find you a good 2nd hand blender that's the best for everything. You can toss all your slugs in there or snails (shells an all) an blend em up real good an then mix that with their chicken feed. They seem to like it. If you don't give em chicken feed, bug feed works the same.
    Just hang a white sheet over one of those plastic kiddie pools an put a inch or 4 of water in the kiddie pool, then shine a light on the sheet at night. The bugs will come to the sheet an a few of em will end up in your pool, then it's just a matter of draining the water or sifting them out. I put a screen on a circular bamboo frame an leave that in the bottom of the pool so I just have to pick up the screen in the morning an leave it out to dry for a few to collect all my chicken feed for the next few days.
    Other great methods (depending on where you live).
    plant mulberry tree's, bugs love em an they produce a lot of food for both you, the bugs, an the chickens, an maybe a few neighbors.
    I've also seen compost fly larva farms that dump the mags neatly in a small bucket or right onto the ground depending on what you want. They sell for about 200 bucks though which in my opinion is way to much to spend feeding a chicken.

Good luck!
    Oh an if you get a problem with fire ants I've heard Indian runner ducks enjoy eating those.