Trade or Giveaway: Laurus nobilis / Bay tree leaf

Discussion in 'Buy, sell, trade, give away & exchange' started by TOG, Mar 6, 2014.

1. TOG

TOG Junior Member

We have a forest of wild Laurus nobilis aka the bay tree or bay laurel, that we are beginning to prune and clear a little. As this is a sparingly used herb we have a plethora to give away or trade with anyone interested.

Here is the wiki link for more information about this plant if you don't already know about it.

View attachment 2417 (IMAGE: The start of the bay forest at the base of our property here in Serra de Sao Bento, Portugal)

I can tell you a story about my own experience with it. Mum used to always add a few bay leaves to the cooking especially in winter soups and as a girl growing up in Australia I could never understand why, to me it had zero flavour. Now that I'm in Portugal - my families place of origin - with access to an abundance of this evergreen tree I have started experimenting with it and to my surprise and delight it's actually extremely flavoursome. I add three leaves to a vegetable soup for four people plus a little salt and need nothing else to flavour the meal. Because of this I am lead to surmise that the supermarket bought bay mum used (which was always pale sage in colour) was indeed crap. This bay is dark green, and when dried starts to go muted and a little brown, and is robust in a delicate flavour perfect for clear soups, adding to rice, pastas etc.

I am happy to give some away to anyone interested, a swap of herb or seeds would be great and we can call it even. Otherwise as a giveaway, if there is postage involved you may want to contribute/pay for that but as it's very light it should not cost much at all. Like many spices, it lasts a long time. Be sure to only add it whole to recipes and remove the leaf before serving, it is not for digestion. Please note; I do not have constant access to internet and sometimes can go a week without checking emails, be positive, I will respond.

Joy!
    Miriam

Love Your Planet,
    The Organic Guru
    Apprentice of everything, master of some.

View attachment 2416

Attached Files: