topographic map -Australia

Discussion in 'Put Your Questions to the Experts!' started by Em PermaTraveler, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Em PermaTraveler

Em PermaTraveler New Member

Hello there!

I'm quite new to the forum (but not the website!) and not sure if i'm at the right place for my question..

Recently "graduated" with a PDC, I have now been allocated a permaculture design project in Australia.
    Unfortunately the client has no topographic map of the land, and as i'm from Europe i don't have much of a clue of where could i find a topographic map of the Kimberley region (more exactly in between Broome and Derby). Does anyone have an idea or could direct me towards a good aussie mapping company perhaps please?

Thanks for your help!
    Em

2. Curramore1

Curramore1 Junior Member

Primary Producer
    Curramore, Blackall Range, S E Queensland, Aust.
    Climate:
    Sub-tropical to temperate 2000mm rain, elevated 350-475m
    Hello Em,
    the Western Australian Government has a Web site called Landgate, site link www.landgate.wa.gov.au. In Queensland we have Sunmap. Some maps are free, others you have a small fee to purchase. Hope this gets you where you wish to go.

3. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

4. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

Plus Queensland has QLD Globe that works through Google Earth (for QLD residents).

Looks like this. The Topo Map is slowly loading over the satellite map which is what the white square is:

[​IMG]

5. Australian Beekeeper

Australian Beekeeper Junior Member

6. matto

matto Junior Member

You could go to the local council offices and ask if there has been LiDar surveys done in the area, this will likely give contours down to 1-2m. Its possible with the amount of mining being undertaken in the area, these surveys are around somewhere. Also a surveyors company might know where you can buy datasets for mapping, depending on the detail you need.

7. billunderwood

billunderwood New Member

If you are in Tasmania look up https://maps.thelist.tas.gov.au/listmap/app/list/map
    It has contours for 5 and 10M as well as the cadastral boundaries and a bundle of other stuff. Useful. A hint - skip Google as a background and use the State mapping images - much clearer

Cheers
    Bill