Tomato Guilds

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Try Reason, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Sweetpea do you know of the landmark case vs. County of San Diego? They didn't want medical marijuana but the state did, as did the residence. A sheriff, "doing his federal duty" as a civilian tried to help the DEA bust a dispensary run by a man in a wheelchair. The bust did come with the aid of the Sheriff's dept (illegal action there) and the court case went to the supreme court. Inhumane treatment of the prisoner in the wheelchair was a large part of the stories. Anyway, long story short, the government had to give back the marijuana and all assets seized like the plants, the cash register, the money from the safe, etc. Well some of it went missing, & in other cases the government flat out destroyed the marijuana. The government agencies involved had to pay the street value of the marijuana seized back to the man.

The government is NOT busting legal growers, its just not worth it, but they do investigate and visit on a moments notice. However, fools are pushing the laws and doing things literally illegal and those people are getting busted. For example, a large grower / dispensary here in Oregon got busted last year not for doing things according to state laws, but for selling illegally to people who do not have a prescription.

As for busting people who grow in State & National Parks... I would GLADLY help track down these grows if it lead to legalization in the US.

2. sweetpea

sweetpea Junior Member

Yeah, it's definitely out of control. so I imagine the real question is, who are the corporations and politicians getting rich on keep marijuana illegal? :)

3. Try Reason

Try Reason Junior Member

Sounds like a political storm in a tea cup situation. Our version of that over here in Australia at the moment is about refugees who arrive by boat. It's virtually a non issue which is whipped up into a political frenzy so as to gain some sort of farcical ideological advantage. Once that ideology is established in the hearts and minds of the electors then both sides of politics end up toeing the same line.

4. Dzionik

Dzionik Junior Member

You have the talent to make money out of nothing. :) One percent of the population in prisons, mostly in private ownership of several companies.

Wow TOMATO GONE!!??

5. Try Reason

Try Reason Junior Member

Has anyone tried borage with tomatoes? Borage reads as a bit of a wonder plant to many purposes. I'd also be interested to find out if anyone has tried them with nasturtiums.

6. pippimac

pippimac Junior Member

Borage is my number 1 bumblebee food and I love it, but the plants take up a lot of space and tend to crowd things out.
    The only thing I've seen come anywhere near it in the self-seeding stakes are kale and silverbeet. Oh, and calendula.
    Borage lives in my 'weed patch', along with the nasturtiums and all sorts of things I've decided don't need an actual garden, like kale, silverbeet and calendula...
    Phacelia might be a good one. I'm sure it's been mentioned, but any old allium's great.

7. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

Borage hasn't been great for me in subtropical. Those huge leaves look like they transpire a lot and a lot of time they are struggling. They have flowered so I will see if they germinate again, personally, it's still Summer here so I figured they would have a least one further round of germination yet.

But, if they are accumulating nutrients, their death and subsequent spreading around neighbouring plants can only be good.

8. garnede

garnede Junior Member

This year I'm trying a few of these, and sweet potato as a ground cover. Last year I grew sweet potato tucked into several spots. The ones that produced the most fruit and biggest potatoes were the ones growing in 50% shade. So I'll plant a few under my tomatoes and see what happens. This year I have a mish mash of things that are overwintering from last year or are springing up from self seeding, so I'll find out how a lot of veggies go together.