tomato flowers deformed

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by sindhooram, Nov 6, 2010.

1. sindhooram

sindhooram Junior Member

hello, I don't know if I am worrying too much here but the latest thing to afflict the tomatoes is that the flowers are coming deformed. I'm getting some double flowers which look beautiful, and at the same time some are coming without petals or with petals missing. I have googled but not come up with any reason for this phenomena which i have never seen before.....Anyone ever got this and did they come right with time? cant say if they are setting yet as they are the first flowers and also its been raining so I wouldnt be surprised if they didnt....

2. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

Could be an insect attack or nutrient deficiency causing petals to drop. Not enough moisture might also cause it.

On the other hand you may be correct. it could be a deformity. Pluck the flowers off to prevent them from fruiting and leave any flowers that look relatively ok. If your keeping seed from the tomatoes the fruit "immune" to the deformity may not pass it on to future plants.

I can't say i've ever had that happen to any of my tomatoes before - that i've seen any way...

3. sindhooram

sindhooram Junior Member

Thank you for the reply. I suspect I have some virus infecting the tomatoes.....some leaves are a bit curled and deformed as I posted about before.....I have notice some mottled yellow patches on some leaves of some plants, the deformed flower thing (although some are coming normally) and also a few stems where the leaves join seem not fully formed. Its too cloudy at the moment to judge fruit set but I'm just really hoping I get some tomatoes in spite of this. I have googled and cant find our what it really is - some kind of mosaic virus seems the closest but is not fully fitting. The beans also have the same symptoms but seem to be making beans although not a huge number.
    I also wonder if it could be some environmental pollutant but its not a really polluted area here ....
    I doubt its nutrient deficiency because I put a good amount of compost and aged cowdung and the plants have grown at a healthy rate with all their lower leaves still intact and healthy looking.its the new growth thats coming wierd.....
    I

4. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year
  5. sindhooram

sindhooram Junior Member

thank you for the link purple pear. I started watching it but with my internet connection speed it skips so much that I had to stop....did it say anything about deformed vegetable plants anywhere?
    Our climate here is extremely wierd at the moment. Normally the monsoon season is very predictable but its now into mid November and still heavy rains many days, now over 6 months of rain or cloud nearly every day.

But I am thinking now the tomato plants have mosaic virus of some type. I noticed on one of the plants the leaves are now coming with mottled yellow on them in a pattern that looks a bit like a photo I saw of mosaic virus. Some of the plants are quite mildly affected and seem almost normal. Others are now quite seriously deformed and not growing tall as they should. It seems like each plant is producing a mix of deformed and normal flowers.
    The only positive thing I read about this virus is the plants sometimes outgrow it and start producing normally later in the season.
    The bad thing is that it seems to be in many of the weeds in the area which I have been composting , I have touched all the plants and probably spread it around as I had no idea such a thing was possible. The squash plants I just planted are also now coming curly as is the basil.....
    I wonder if there are any biodynamic sprays or anything that may help the plants resist this? Does anyone have any knowledge of that?

6. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year
    the link was a little "tongue in cheek" it talked about chem trails and the governmental conspiracy to put chemicals into the atmosphere to control things from people to global warming - without telling us- I was wondering if the things in the atmosphere were affecting your tomatoes. Sorry for the wild goose chase.

I am not aware of sprays for virus just cleanliness as a prevention.

7. sindhooram

sindhooram Junior Member

do you think that video is likely to be true? just wondering....

As far as the mosaic (or other virus) goes.... then according to permaculture what is the way to manage such a situation? Cleanliness OK but that won't stop grasshoppers /crickets nibbling leaves of one plant before moving on to another one which apparently also spreads it and I get a lot of nibbling here.
    I guess I can just accept the situation and be thankful for whatever manages to grow OK but I would prefer obviously to have healthy plants!!

8. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

Of all the possibilities mentioned here the sensible point made is that it comes from whatever is infecting your weeds that you put in the compost.

I did a search on google for mosaic virus and found this....

I htink it sounds like this. Tobacco-tomato virus. The solution is to rip all infected plants out and destroy them thoroughly.

https://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/horticulture/dg1168.html

That said, it doesn't mention distorted flowers i think but it still sounds enough like what you've got. You could do what they suggest and send a sample off to a lab somewhere for accurate diagnosis. What about one of the government plant departments. What about the agriculture inspector. He might be able to diagnose it.

9. sindhooram

sindhooram Junior Member

thank you for the reply....well I like the idea of getting it analysed to see what it actually is but I don't know how to find an agricultural inspector. I will investigae.
    I have read some articles saying rip out infected plants and others saying that advise is outdated and to just handle those plants last.
    The thing is I can's see that it would help to rip them out because the neighbourhood roadside is full of weeds, the neighbouring empty lots etc. so all it takes is for some grasshoppers etc. to nibble those leaves and then come to my plants and start nibbling (which they do) and I will have reinfection - the disease seems to be highly contagious.
    Good news is that some plants seem only mildly affected and have started to set some fruit so I know those types I can grow OK - others are pretty growth stunted and I dont know if they will produce much.
    its now the 7th month of monsoon here and still nightly thunderstorms and heavy rain - locals say this has never happened before. I was planning to get corn going in containers on my roof but I dont think it likes such heavy rain.

10. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

When i was in india, i met an agricultural inspector once on a bus. He was a lovely man. Chivalrous. He offered to get my bike off the roof of the bus in the absence of a porter. We chatted a lot about our diffierent cultures. Well, to find him he was in Mysore so I would think that any of the larger centres would have them. No doubt any government office would be able to point you in the right direction. He was heading out to visit one of the villages.

Well as to contagion, it depends how the infection is spread. It might not be sent by grasshoppers or any insects. I don't know but a website would tell you.

I think your strange weather must be related to la nina like what we're having too. WE had a wet winter which only happens about once in 10 years i believe. I had never heard of them or la nina before this year. What it might mean is that any plant that depends on a cool spell won't get it because your winter might not be so cool as usual. That's what happened here anyway. So not many mangos or lychees around this year.

11. sindhooram

sindhooram Junior Member

I will try to find a knowledgable agricultural inspector. My reading about mosaic virus said it can be spread by leaf eating insects such as leaf hoppers and also by touching one plant then another. I expect the grasshoppers introduced it to the ground tomatoes and I then transfered it to the roof ones when I handled the plants to check for bugs. I had no idea about that before.
    Apparently you should never smoke near tomatoes because even that can transfer the disease.
    I really hope we do get mangoes this year - would hate to miss out on that but so far it isnt cold as it should be...its never really cold here though so I dont know how much it will effect.

12. sindhooram

sindhooram Junior Member

well I confirmed with an organic farmer that it is mosaic virus that I am talking about - which strain I don't know.
    I'm happy however that quite a few plants are now producing well after some time when all the flowers seemed to be coming deformed and dropping. It seems that most of them have outgrown the problem although a few that were very twisted and stunted I pulled out.