Third ethic?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by Boiledfrog, May 12, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Boiledfrog

Boiledfrog New Member

Climate:
    Zone 6 dry American sagebrush desert
    So I was over on permies forum and the owner had a diatribe on how horrible the third ethic was, which was strange to this Newbie. He said I should be on this forum. I didn’t remember what the third ethic was, but he was such a prick I figured I’d check you guys out.
    I’m so tired of cults of personalities and economic war lords, maybe that has to do with American politics, but I tired of angry hate in all forms.
    So onto the good stuff. I eat plant based, with rare meat thrown in. Garden, raise bees, built a strawbale house. Working on a food forest and slowly building underground greenhouse. Caretaker some Alpacas and Dolly the goat. In the past I’ve raised cows, goats, and chickens, but am just getting to old. I’m still subject to adopting hair brained schemes, hence the unfinished greenhouse. Roast a few hundred pounds of coffee for a local farmers market.
    So can we do this without being opinionated assholes?

2. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Hey Boiledfrog, sounds like you're in a similar climate to me. We're a bit more accepting about what we'll discuss but assholishness can go both ways and we don't tolerate disrespect. But I'm sure you're good with that, so on with the discussions!
    What is it about the third ethic that's so controversial anyhow? In Mollison-speak it would be "fair share" and in other Permaculture teachings it's return of surplus. Behind it all is a concept; don't take more than you need and distribute the surplus to those (people and natural systems) that are in need. Apply the concept as necessary for the situation.

3. Boiledfrog

Boiledfrog New Member

Climate:
    Zone 6 dry American sagebrush desert
    He seems to have problems with “Don’t take more than you need.” I don’t really understand. It seems to me “taking as much as I can” is killing my planet. Thanks for replying

4. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    I completely agree with ""taking as much as I can" is killing my planet", the evidence is all around us.
    I think the third ethic (all three ethics, actually) are gentle reminders to those of us who have grown up in western society (removed from nature) of how the world works: cooperation is the key.