They're Catching On!

Discussion in 'News from around the damp planet' started by 9anda1f, Sep 9, 2013.

1. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

On the issue of my using the term, 'permie':

The simple fact of the matter is, I was being (literarily) lazy.

A more appropriate turn of phrase may have been:

a person whom self identifies with the concept known as permaculture

A little too wordy, and too near to how I have to write in one of my other roles, so it didn't happen.

Anyhow, my sincerest apologies to anyone who may have been offended by my original the use of the term, 'permie'.

As an aside, a search on the term 'permie' using the following 'resources' reveals:

Oxford (English) Dictionary:

no entry

Macquarie (Australian) Dictionary:

no entry

Urban Dictionary:

1. permie - Term used by temporary/contract workers (normally I.T.) to describe someone who is a permanent employee. Term can be interchanged with "Wage Slave". The retort is "get lost you contractor scum". Example: Hey Ho. Hey Dave, how come your permies always throw sickies when the Rugby is on? Why does a dog lick his bollocks?

2. permie - A practitioner of permaculture, a permaculturalist. Example: Some permies came up in this abandoned lot and guerrilla gardened a nice edible seven layer food forest.

1. [permie] - Someone who is really into permaculture design. Example: My friend jack is a true permie he doesn't have a lawn, own a car, and he lives in a yurt.

The latter entry was made by someone who calls one's self 'permie boi', so it could perhaps be a little biased ;).

2. ecodharmamark

:giggle:

3. CraigMackintosh

CraigMackintosh *****

Rick, your comment was deleted as it was not in alignment with the ethics of permaculture - it was publicly posting accusations and innuendos about another person's ethics. If you have questions about that person's motives, you should contact them directly for clarification. This forum is not a place to publicly post unsubstantiated personal attacks.

4. Rick Larson

Rick Larson Junior Member

Ok Grahame.

This web forum has been placed on double secret probation for the treatment of its participants. Unfortunately, this will be reflected upon all the other participants through receiving high voltage electrical volts through their keyboard every time they key in a word (to this forum only). If they persist, their eyes will eventually pop out of their heads.

Further such behaviour will lead up to, and include, being totally banned from the internet.

Thank you for your consideration,
    The Internet Enforcement Division of the Galactic Empire

5. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

7 layer? ROOKIES

[​IMG]

Mycelium layer dang it!

6. Rick Larson

Sun? Wind? Climate? Elevation? Ocean? Slope? Soil?

There is "Beyond Permie". There is "Beyond Permaculuture" as well. But that might be condisered a religious discussion. Ha!

7. Rick Larson

I just read the post by Chris, the Admin. I never made an accusation. I asked what his ethics were.

Of course, now that my post was deleted, it is on my word that I haven't made an accusation. Now isn't it?

8. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

dunno about that religious stuff rick? but maybe hey chuckle.

things not mentioned above, as there is no blanket:

northern - southern hemisphere(we hang upside down hey - ask gardeners across the way)

but anyway hardly seen in permy stuff, even climate zone misses:

from east coast, to eastern range, to western range, to arid across to west coast. all have impact on what grows.

then back to where we live, land aspect(north to eastern) never mentioned.

the effect of land aspect gives micro climate, western aspects generally very hot dry and cold(seasonal)

southern deliver little enough sun in winter, and lots of colder breezes

and no mention of selecting better soil when buying

plus sadly again we are going to see it, living among the gum trees, fraught with danger. for personal injury, property damage at least 100 meters distance, the rule is the max' height of the tree + 50%. for fire at lest 4k distance.

need to consider all aspects of encouraging humans to live more simple. home styles that provide natural comfort never mentioned, maybe too difficult to buck the indoctrinated culture?

no mention that not only natural bush, but rocks in a creek bed, mulch from forest floor, sub aquafa all habitat, i don't mention bores to people anymore, don't want to be seen encouraging bad behavior, i talk tanks +, tried telling new bloke over the back that dams(they take up growing are, say for bird habitat) around here aren't noted for holding water unless they are bentonited or something, then on a 1 acre block what do they need the dam for apart from water front BBQ's. then neighbours lower down get all exited when a dam goes in they are concerned about the over flow coming their way.

anyway lots simply not mentioned in perma-c

len

9. CraigMackintosh

CraigMackintosh *****

Hi Ron (payback for calling me Chris :) ). Myself and the other moderators can still see the deleted post. If you want a copy of it, then send me an email, and I'll send it to you. It was clearly not only questioning someone's ethics, but making insinuations about them. Again, if you have a problem with someone's ethics - posting it as bait on a forum is not the right way of finding out the answers. If you have a problem with a person, please contact them directly. It's important that our forum upholds reasonable standards - and using it as a very public way to attract all kinds of assumptions from swivel-chair readers is not appropriate. Please remember that you're making public statements about real people, not bricks.

10. Rick Larson

Nice post len, I am learning. Of course I am concentrating on my cool climate low elevation baseland. I am working through the designers' manual very slowly. Such wonderful ideas at every turn of the page.

All my life has been governed by American-styled programming that has pretty much burned me out. Mentally, physically, I'm shot. Geoff talked about 10 hours of work a week, well, I worked about 14 hours a day, thinking this is what good is/was. But it just used me up. If I only had this knowledge when I was younger, oh the real help it all could have provided.

11. Rick Larson

It wasn't bait.

Again, I know what Bill Mollison's ethics are.

I don't know what "his" ethics are. Do you?

Ron

12. Rick Larson

Oh, and I already had a public discussion with him, about all things, an incandescent light bulb. He ask me not to post on his site. Plenty of places to post, so I just agreed with him.

So I'm not a permie! Nothing against permies, nothing against him, the site provides a nice stepping stone as it did for me. Just, I'm not a goofball permie. So I guess I'll move along from this site too!

13. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    This oft overlooked tenet of Permaculture may be appropriate here:

https://thehumanspiritneedsnature.tumblr.com/post/12341620167/bill-mollison-has-described-permaculture-as-a

14. Rick Larson

I agree whole heartedly.

People ought to take into consideration all feelings plus my feelings by not prompting me (by design because they know the circumstances of my first public humiliation) with that word or that person.

15. ecodharmamark

G'day Rick

Slowly, I've been able to piece together your position. As I did write earlier, I am truly sorry if by using that term I upset you. I had no idea that you had a previous bad experience with it, or what it represents, for you. I have no connection with the other place. I find all that I need right here, with the brightest, happiest permaculture people on the planet. Please reconsider your intention to leave us. I have read/viewed most of your posts, and I find them/you of much value.

Kind regards, Mark

16. Rick Larson

This is really nice of you to take the time to figure this out. Thanks a lot. I feel good now.:blush: So I will go and sleep on this and come back and tell you my decision is to stick it out a little longer. Testing this deal out is, is better than having a year invested then being told to buzz off.

Typing about buzzing, I saw a hummingbird moth tonight. Never saw one before. Has to be an omen. And no, they don't buzz.

https://www.birds-n-garden.com/white-lined_sphinx_hummingbird_moths.html

17. CraigMackintosh

CraigMackintosh *****

No, I don't know what "his" ethics are. I wouldn't like to surmise. And, that's the point...

If someone started surmising and making insinuations online about your own ethics/motivations, I'm sure you would also want me to remove such a discussion... I'm sure you'd prefer the person contacts you directly instead. It's the ABCs of ethical communication.

18. Rick Larson

Oh, well, "his" ethics could be in line with sustainable practices. That would be nice to find out.

So, methinks this thread has gone on too long concerning what I think. I am not that important and I don't want to be considered a permie. Anymore discussion boarders on another public humiliation I will have to endure. Please remove this entire thread.

19. CraigMackintosh

CraigMackintosh *****

I hope you can see the irony in this statement... The comment was removed for the explicit reason of avoiding publicly humiliating someone...

Deleting the thread is obviously possible, but the other commenters here would have to agree I think. The thread started on a whole other topic.