The Woodland House - Grand Designs

Discussion in 'Designing, building, making and powering your life' started by Michaelangelica, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

Grand Designs is a fascinating BBC programme on building. (ON ABC ! in OZ about 5-30 6? also can be downloaded) It should be dead boring but isn't. Some shows annoy me with an "ecological house" with $2,000 designer taps; and multi-million pound homes, when half the planet lives in tin shacks.
    Still if you have ever tried to build anything you will relate to it. If only to the diabolically stupid, dumb, lazy, lying, ill-organised, ignorant, dissembling charlatans called "tradespeople" that one is forced to hire if owner-building. there are often some great ideas and amazing new technologies used, that your could use or adapt if building yourself.
    https://www.ethical-junction.org/ethical ... signs.html
    Permaculture Magazine
    [​IMG]
    The Sustainibility Centre
    East Meon
    Hampshire
    GU32 1HR
    GB
    t: 01730 823311
    w: https://www.permaculture.co.uk

https://www.ethical-junction.org/member/org-8150.html

2. Mudman

Mudman Junior Member

Re: The Woodland House - Grand Designs

My favorite show.
    Great to see real people talking about their projects with most of them being owner built or owner managed.
    And you get to see a strawbale or mudbrick house every now and then
    ABC1 thursdays 6.00pm
    Kurt

3. Michaelangelica

Yes, me too but becomming all abit Mac Mansion of late. Millions of pounds for one little house. Money that would house a third world village
    Also the latest had a$14,000 tap that the owners "had to have"

Did you see the Council wants to tear down the woodland house?
    [​IMG]
    Sign the petetion.
    https://www.simondale.net/house/lammas.htm

4. Pablito

Pablito Junior Member

Isn't it incredible? This programme is easily the most popular of the series, so people clearly find it exciting, and endorse it. So one might assume that it has popular (i.e. democratic) approval. But regulations still make it very difficult to do similar things. My understanding is that Ben law fought for years to be able to build this wonderful house. It's about time that we decided that there needs to be a different regulation for OB homes built to maximise personal input and environmental sensitivity and Macmansions built by developers to maximise profits.
    Perhaps it's something that Peter Garrett could look at, if he has enough time left over from endorsing nuclear energy and selling a softer attitude on greenhouse gas emissions.

5. gemjill

gemjill Junior Member

G'day
    Is this the house built buy the charcoal burner?
    It is easily one of the most beautiful buildings I have ever seen, it really stands out, interesting that it is the most popular, especially given many of houses on the show are of the aspirational Mcmansion type - I actually feel sorry for people with such irrational attachments to taps! Imagine the paucity of their inner life.
    Kevin McCloud is one of the best tv presenters too I reckon, he actually pitches in to help (if he likes them) and is a refreshing change from all the tossers that get to see their own faces on the tele -and that sort of all homogenise into eachother.

Here's hoping the woodland house is saved - if it is as popular as they say then public opinion shouldn't be too hard to muster
    cheers

6. Michaelangelica

Was he? I didn't know
    it is a personal work of art. Most of us just get to personalise our homes with the colourof, or a few pictures on, the wall.
    Good point; their kid just sat and watched TV all day.
    Yes he builds up the tension & is so enthusiastic. It seems tradespeople are feral most places too.
    IMHO Building a house is as life changing & stressful as having a child.

Often there are some very interesting technologies used, even in the million pound homes.

Please sign the petition. (link above)

7. gemjill

gemjill Junior Member

G'day
    It's probably me being seriously dim but I clicked on the lammas website link but could find no mention of the petition - only buying shares or volunteering. Am I missing something?
    cheers