The Three Witches (of oil)

Discussion in 'News from around the damp planet' started by Rick Larson, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Rick Larson

Rick Larson Junior Member

2. Rick Larson

3. kimbo.parker

kimbo.parker Junior Member

checked the docs. ( ta rick ),
    any chance you could 'interpret' the data for me?
    i tend to lock onto pretty colours and any pictures, quite ill-equipped to do correlation of maths.

are we good?
    are we screwed?
    or are we free to keep muddling along - 'we are going to die, but not today' like?

:)

sorry for the ineptitude
    k

4. mouseinthehouse

mouseinthehouse Junior Member

My extremely simplified understanding is:

*rates of production are decreasing and will continue to decrease significantly
    *rates of usage are increasing on a per capita basis
    *human population is increasing (and increasing in countries which are also increasing their rate of usage per person)

Not sure if that's correct but if it is I think it's a case of the band is going to keep playing until the bow goes under completely which won't be for a while but in the meantime most will stand around with a cocktail in their hand listening to the band. The others (permies, post-carbonites, preppers?) will be putting on the lifejackets and checking the life boats.

5. Rick Larson

No. You are not going to die from less available and higher oil prices (are you prodding me?). The world is not coming to an end. But I suspect a great many will continue to plan their future as though their lives will get even easier. That isn't going to work out so well for those people, according to this information. Those who have the most invested in this (Great Western Society) culture will suffer the worst of the coming changes. Methinks. I would add there are so many directions this could take it is impossible to predict how all this will shake out. John Micheal Greer's prediction of a catabolic collapse is more than likely, but even the Archdruid admits to not knowing for sure.

Mouse's three points are accurate.

However, a permaculturalist living off the land and defending niche and co-operating with others of like mind will have a layer of protective insulation. Might be defending the earth's ecology will make for a very rewarding life, even!

But I don't know, I just like reading this stuff and considering the possibilities.