THE SEXY PERMACULTURE POLL

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by Fern O., Nov 19, 2007.

?

THE SEXY PERMACULTURE POLL

1. Bludy Oath YES!!! I get off on it everyday :)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes, I find it quite appealing

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No, it's boring and dull, and I wouldn't have sex with a permie even if they were the last being lef

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Fern O.

Fern O. Junior Member

In response to a post on the PIL listserv saying that permaculture is not "sexy", I've decided to set up the SEXY PERMACULTURE POLL. :D

I'm not sure why people say that permaculture is not sexy... I find it to be incredibly "sexy"... always have...
    tell me what you think...

Keep luv'n & grow'n
    hugs
    Fern

2. Leuchtturm

Leuchtturm Junior Member

Sorry but I just can't find anything sexy in turning my compost heap ... :wink:

3. Fern O.

Fern O. Junior Member

Really!?! You don't find compost sexy? :lol: perhaps it's warm and moist qualities?!? and it's yummy smell when properly composted into humus? I find that to be quite appealing, and the process of aerobic decomposition to be so fascinating...

4. Leuchtturm

Leuchtturm Junior Member

No definitely not sexy.

Sexy is different, definitely not a compost heap. :D

PS: My dad told me I was made under an apple tree. Maybe a food forest can be a sexy place ;)

5. christopher

christopher Junior Member

Food forests: sexy. Trust me, nothing is better for getting the world in alignment than a vertically integrated stacked polyculture with a well designed mix of ornamentals, tree legumes, herbaceous perennials, timber species, acid and sweet fruit, some nuts, some tubers, and some leafy greens. Throw in a few palms to finish it off, some chooks and ducks, maybe a turkey or two, some candles, some incense, and you are well sorted.

6. Leuchtturm

Leuchtturm Junior Member

... and enough places not to be seen ...

food forest gets thumbs up for sexyness ;)

7. Tamara

Tamara Junior Member

Anything as simple yet as complex and interesting as permaculture is sexy - and thus so are it's practitioners. I am much sexier since my pdc...

8. earthbound

earthbound Junior Member

Oooooh yeah...... :D

Ripe organic fruit hanging from a tree just waiting to be plucked. Complex ecosystems all around.. Birds and bees, buzzing....

Is it sexy? Ask the worms, the beetles, the dragonflies, the frogs, slaters, snails, slugs, etc, etc.... :wink:

9. christopher

christopher Junior Member

Joel: wet tanks, fishy, with a tangle of growth above them, dripping...
    Tha lads think aquaponics :wav: is sexy!

10. Ojo

Ojo Junior Member

:wink:
    mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, hempsilk
    https://hemporganic.com/underwear.html

It is evident that hemp offers a possible alternative to many types of agriculture that have been shown to be harmful in the short and long term.

Cotton is presently one of the foremost textile crops and is grown around the world. It is also one of the greatest users of chemical fertilisers and pesticides. It is estimated that about half of the chemical fertilisers and pesticides used in the USA are applied to the cotton crop. The long term effects of these are difficult to ascertain at present. The short term effects are well documented and are generally indicated to be harmful to the environment at large, affecting plant, animal and fish life, to mention just a few effects.

Hemp on the other hand has no, or at most a very few natural enemies and hence it does not need extensive, routine pesticide application. It is also able to grow on marginal land thus lowering the need for chemical fertilisers. It actually has a beneficial effect on the land in that it is shown to bind the soil (hence diminishing soil erosion, a huge plus in our situation) and also has a soil enhancing effect in that nitrogen fixing bacteria are found to operate symbiotically with the plant. Water uptake is not excessive, enabling cultivation to be irrigation free, an important point for water poor nations.

"Green composting" with hemp is also known to enhance the quality of the soil. This is done in places such as The Netherlands, where hemp is one of the first crops grown after the reclamation of land from the sea and then ploughed back in.

A further advantage over cotton, is that the length of hemp fibre, one of the longest known, can result in a drop of the industrial cost of weaving, carding and ginning the fibre. This may be a questionable benefit as the initial cost of the mills needed to remove the fibre from the stems may well diminish the initial advantages.

Further economic research will have to be done on this matter. This is beyond our ambit. Whatever the case the textiles produced from hemp are of good quality, at the very least comparable to cotton and the more processed varieties having a texture similar to silk.

Hemp is a perfect entry-level agricultural crop. It needs no particular expensive skills or technology in the cultivation stage. It has the capacity to heal land that has long been neglected and overgrazed. It is not a water hungry crop. It is not nutrient hungry or soil depleting. It produces many products beside fibre for cloth and paper, most of which are very useful in a rural setting. Harvesting is not difficult.

Useful products include, amongst others; oil, (from the seeds, which is evidently very healthy as well, an increasingly important marketing point at present) seed cake, (for livestock feed from the remnant of the pressed seeds), ethanol ( produced from the pulp waste of the "hurding" process by fermentation and distillation) which can provide energy for engines as well as reduce the carbon dioxide percentage of exhaust gasses ( it is interesting to note that a 10% addition of ethanol has been shown to reduce carbon dioxide by up to 50% in petrol driven vehicles!) and food (the seed is second to soybeans as a source of protein and contains all eight essential amino acids).

Other edible products such as cheese, sprouts, butter and various other comestibles are easily extracted. It is also important that in this most underfed and nutrient lacking continent, that hemp seed protein is readily digestible as two proteins (edestin and albumin), are present in the same ratios as found in human blood plasma. I must ask yourselves and everybody else involved in this study a rhetorical question; does this not seem like a crop that is eminently suited to human needs?

The plant is also a great source of renewable materials to produce plastics, composite materials ( fibre board etc.), building materials, biodegradable containers and many other applications. Many other uses exist. (Some sources quote 25,000 uses for the plant!).
    excerpts
    https://www.sawac.co.za/ekogaia_foundation.htm

11. Jim Bob

Jim Bob Junior Member

I'm sure there are sexy permaculturists, but permaculture itself? Not so much.

Post your pics of hunky guy and curvy women! Or curvy guys and hunky women, if that's your style.