The PC Course Certificate

Discussion in 'Jobs, projects, courses, training, WWOOFing, volun' started by Phuein, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Phuein

Phuein Junior Member

Or diploma. However it may be called.

It's the proof of studying under an official and recognized teacher/s for PC, and gaining the proper basic knowledge and experience in PC, to use it and share.

I'm from Israel. In Israel there's a rather new and rising PC Organization which is still not able to give certification that is internationally recognized by the other int' rec' PC Organizations world-wide. I'm not too certain about the situation right now, and I'm wondering about several issues - as I'm about to start such a course here under two teachers in a farm I'm going to volunteer at before hand to help reduce the cost of the course.

What is the practical importance of the PC Design Course certificate? Would a certificate that is still not recognized by the main international bodies be not valid for use if I would want to volunteer/work abroad in PC related farms? Is there any public talk about this matter? Is there any specific talk about the Israeli PC topic?

I feel uneasy with the whole situation as I pay for the course out of my own pocket a good sum. I would very much appreciate any commentary and direction in the matter.

I have also emailed a similar text to Geoff, in hope that I may get a more official and updated response personally from him. Here is a copy:

2. foggyforge

foggyforge Junior Member

Re: The PC Course Certificate

[/quote]
    Hi-Phuein- this may not be exactly what you were asking for -but there are some online PDC from Australia -here is a link to one -https://permaculturevisions.com/Teach_PDC.html they mention being registered with Tagari-good luck

3. Phuein

Phuein Junior Member

Yeah, I'm not looking for online PDCs at all mate :S Thanks for sharing though.

Anybody else?

4. eric seider

eric seider Junior Member

I think I understand your question so here goes.

A Permaculture Diploma and a Permaculture Design Certificate are two different things. Anyone completing the 72 hour Permaculture design course is awarded a certificate which allows that person to then teach the same 72 hour course.

A Diploma is awarded after at least 2 years applied study. The applicant can then apply to receive a diploma in up to three categories.

You do not need a diploma to teach or practice permaculture design.

Perhaps the person teaching your course is not a "Registered" teacher which means they have submitted their course notes to The Permaculutre Institite for review. The registered teachers have shows proof that they are teaching the full 72 course outlined in The designers manual by Bill Mollison.

here is a link from The Permaculture Institute explaining teacher registration
    https://www.tagari.com/?page_id=18

if you doubt the course you are about to take covers all subjects then request the teachers course notes and compare them to the chapters of the Designers Manual. which is the text book for the PDC.

hope this helps

cheers
    eric

5. Cyna

Cyna Junior Member

I wouldn't worry about who you get the piece of paper from. The real benefit is learning about the stuff. Nobody will deny you volunteer or paid work just because you did a pc course with an 'unregistered' provider. I think the Manual says that if you hold to the values of pc, then you don't need any 'qualification' to teach or sell your services. The course will only be a start to your learning anyway. pc is about starting at your own backdoor. If you're not doing it there, then you're just not doing it. Good luck.

6. janahn

janahn Junior Member

Refering to the statement below taken from this forum:

"In Israel there's a rather new and rising PC Organization which is still not able to give certification that is internationally recognized by the other int' rec' PC Organizations world-wide. "

Which other pc organizations are you refering to.

As far as I know the only "thing" that could be internationally recognised is the Bill Mollison Curriculum

Graduates of a course offering the "complete 72 hour mollison" curriculum are entitle to teach the same curriculum and design for others.

It is not compulsory for any graduate to be registered. Nobody has any control over what others do.

Other people may teach permaculture without doing the above mentioned course. According to Common Law, and by instruction from Bill Mollison, they must offer there own curriculum.

The Teacher Registry offered by Bill Mollisons Permaculture Institute was initiated to counteract those who sought to gain access to government funding via the accredition of pemaculture know as APT. It is now understood by many people that those teaching Bills Permaculture Curriculum will use his designers manual as a guide and cover the scope of design contained in that book. Teachers are encouraged to add their own knowledge.

Teacher Registration simply means that Bill has checked to see if individuals are offering the complete curriculum.
    It is not a guide to an individuals competancy as a designer.

The question to ask is "whos curriculum are you teaching"

In Australia we have legislation contained in various assemblies, for instance the Trade Practices Act, that protects and controls many aspects of all that has been refered to above.

Leo Mahon Permaculture Design Institute. PS Protect the independance of Permaculture by declining Bills offer of registration.