The opposite of permaculture

Discussion in 'General chat' started by ~Tullymoor~, Sep 29, 2005.

1. ~Tullymoor~

~Tullymoor~ Junior Member

There was once a man from the city who was visiting a small farm, and during this visit he saw a farmer feeding pigs in a most extraordinary manner. The farmer would lift a pig up to a nearby apple tree, and the pig would eat the apples off the tree directly. The farmer would move the pig from one apple to another until the pig was satisfied, then he would start again with another pig.

The city man watched this activity for some time with great astonishment. Finally, he could not resist saying to the farmer, "This is the most inefficient method of feeding pigs that I can imagine. Just think of the time that would be saved if you simply shook the apples off the tree and let the pigs eat them from the ground!"

The farmer looked puzzled and replied, "What's time to a pig?"

2. grease

grease Junior Member

Apparently time was plentiful to the farmer, Obviously the opposite to permaculture is what is happening at large in the world today. Closed minded politicians, supported by ill informed voters.We produce enough food in the world today to feed the world plus some( that defeats the big companies reason to produce GE foods), what keeps the food away from the worlds poor is bad governance and war.(answer my question please) grease.

3. ~Tullymoor~

I won't answer your question, I'll let you (or Mr Mollison ) have the last word in that thread and use this one to say welcome to the forum.

4. Richard on Maui

Richard on Maui Junior Member

what on earth are you two up to, eh? I always thought those videos were a bit daft myself... :lol: I mean, of course, they're very good, but a lot of it is so hyped. Like, its all about sitting on your arse and waiting for the food to grow itself. I think 90% of people who watched those videos and thought, "oooH" still get most of their food in a plastic wrapper and wheel it out the automatic doors in a metal cage on casters.

5. grease

grease Junior Member

Opposite of permaculture

Your dead right Richard, these videos are simplistic but effective in their message. I just wanted to get them back in circulation for a course I'm doing and so maybe others could use them (as opposed to losing them). My problem is having my character and motives called in to question. Call me thin skinned but I don't appreciate being called sneaky and by assosciation a liar. Michael. :)

6. Richard on Maui

Richard on Maui Junior Member

Ah, don't worry about it mate. Everybody is entitled to their own opinions, and as a pretty unpopular but very cool neighbour of mine once said to me, "Life isn't a popularity contest". I think there's something in that for all of us...

7. grease

grease Junior Member

the opposite of permaculture

Right again old son

8. ~Tullymoor~

Dear Grease/Michael,

Your post/s made me suss and I felt "used" that I was trying to search out the videos and you didn't bother to join in the thread or respond.

I challenged you on it, you answered, and that's that.
    I'm entitled to question you just as you are entitled to have told me to bang my antennas up my bum.

I didn't name call, I said I hate sneakiness. That's *my* problem, not yours.

Good luck getting the video, and good luck with the course.

PS. Imagine how differently this all would have gone had you had first posted along the lines of...."Hi, I'm Michael, I just joined, great forum blah blah. I am a nurse and doing the Cert IV in da de da and for my presentation have decided to talk permaculture....need vids....anyone know where to get them...blah blah."

I'm not being smart , I just think it's food for thought.

Can we talk zucchinis now? Please? :(

9. grease

grease Junior Member

I'll Take that as an appology then

10. ~Tullymoor~

Time to take a wee break from cyber-life me thinks and play in the real world for a while.

I'll check in from time to time, behave yourselves won't you. :D