The old plum trees

Discussion in 'Recipes & Remedies' started by Rick Larson, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Rick Larson

Rick Larson Junior Member

The first canning batch of the year came from the old plum tree that is literally busted apart by a wicked hail storm. Hasn't grown a crop for a few years, so I am happy the old tree toughed it out. Here is the recipe and technique I used:

9 cups of chopped plums with skins
    6 cups of raw honey

Slowly, so slowly, heat the mixture on low heat, stiriing every 10 minutes (on low low heat). At least two hours, 4-5 hours is better as evaporating the moisture out intensifies the flavor.

When it is time to jar the mixture, wash jars (half-pints in this case) in hot soapy water, then place in canner and fill with water an inch or so above the jars. Turn up the heat to high until there is a rolling boil.

Place lids that fit your jars in another small pan and cover with water (you can use the hot boiling water from the canner if you forget).

Then turn up the heat to near high on the fruit mixture, just before the canner goes to boil, and marry that jam! If you stop stirring, you risk burning the fruit.

Just before the fruit mixture gets to boiling, turn up the heat on the canning lids. When everything is at a boil, turn off the heat to the lids, turn down the heat under the canner, and slip the fruit mix off the heat sources and get to work.

Take out a jar from the canner with a canning jar lifter, empty the water in a sink of cool water (or you risk melting the sink drain pipe), place on a towel on a nearby surface.

Place a canning jar funnel on the jar. Dip a measuring cup (with a handle) into the mixture, and pour mixture into the jar to 1/8 inch from the rim of the jar. Place the jam schmeared measuring cup in a bowl (to avoid dripping jam on table).

Wipe the rim of the jar and place heated canning lid on jar, and screw on canning ring tight. Place the jar back into the canner of hot water. Repeat until all the jars are filled. Boil ten more minutes, then take out the jars and put them on a towel in an out-of-the-way place.

Next you will be a hearing noise from each jar sounding something like "poink" - signifying a solid sealing of the lid to the jar. Then you get to clean up, including licking the measuring cup, bowl, and pouring some of the remainder on a big heaping bowl of ice cream!

24 hours of cooling, and you can check each lid by looking for an arched-in and solid lid. Any jar not sealed the lid will be arched out and will pop in with finger pressure. But all is not lost, you can put this jar in the fridge and it will keep for 3-4 weeks! Twist off the rings and store in a cool dark place (easy to find in a cool temperate climate, I suppose).

Made 11 half-pints and have almost a pint in the fridge for immediate use, with one more tree to go. The best use of plum jam in my house is to cook with wild venson.

2. annette

annette Junior Member

Oh Yum!!!

3. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Wish I could pop around for dinner....

4. Rick Larson

I would feed you up!

5. Beryl16

Beryl16 New Member

you will probably be OK Andrew, as it would help it establish if it doesn't fruit this year anyway. Also, as its a new tree it won't have the tangle of branches that old & neglected trees have.

6. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Senior Member

We had a blood plum that was over 50 years old in the back yard
    Rot and storm took their toll but it kept on delivering so much fantastic fruit.
    Its gone to compost now but I still havent tasted a better plum
    Its a magic part of my childhood,teen years and some of my adult life.
    I never buy plums in tribute.

7. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

I need to remember this recipie for next year. This year we had an over abundance of a yellow plum of some unknown var. Thanks Slick Rick

8. Rick Larson

9. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

That's an awesome description of the process thank you :) (Which is especially helpful for the ADD types (me!) who get to the end & then find they haven't sterilised the lids or forgot to get the fruit hot when the bottles were hot or something.) And it sounds delicious :) I have a cherry plum but have never managed to get enough fruit fly free plums to bother bottling them. I eat them & I make dye with the skins, but sadly not enough to go to the trouble of making jam.

10. Rick Larson

You are welcome. Happy to be helpful!:)