The Obesity Epidemic Book Review

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by Michaelangelica, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

“Zoe Harcombe unravels one of the biggest paradoxes of today: why levels of obesity are rising despite the fact our supermarkets are producing more products designed to help people lose weight and boost their health. Harcombe overturns long held myths about weight gain – and shows how processed foods are at the heart of the problem. Unless the food industry takes responsibility for this the future health costs will become unsustainable; no matter how efficient our system.”
    Lucy Johnston, Health Editor, Sunday Express

“Diets have got to be the least successful health campaign in history.
    “In the last 30 years bookshelves have become stuffed with how-to guides while governments spend millions on taskforces and the media are filled with advice and warnings.

“In that time the percentage of people in the UK classified as obese has risen ten fold.
    “While as a health promotion campaign it has been a disaster, as a money-making exercise it has been nothing short of genius.
    “The food industry has found ever-more ingenious ways to make as cheaply as possible nutritionally-poor food and sell it as often and expensively as they can. They then flog the diet options to counter the effects. The media are able to gorge themselves on an endless supply of diet and health stories. Academics and interest groups have carved themselves corners in advising everyone on how to tackle the problem.

“Unfortunately, as Zoë Harcombe demonstrates in her clearly argued book, too many experts don’t actually have an idea of what the problem is while policy has been subverted by vested interests.

“Harcombe starts by wondering why it is that humans, whose bodies are so brilliantly evolved to regulate themselves, should suddenly be experiencing this weight crisis. It is questionable whether we’re not exercising enough when you consider how many people you know who run or play sport. It seems odd when the average daily calorie intake is lower now than a generation ago.

“In a series of rigorously sourced chapters Harcombe pulls apart many of the key tenets in the diet and nutrition industry. The science behind them is found to be contradictory and often based on repeated mantras with little idea about where they originated.
    “A good example is the formula that one pound of fat contains 3,500 calories, so to lose 1lb a week you need a deficit of 500 calories. This is the diet shibboleth yet the Department of Health, one of its adherents, told Harcombe that it didn’t know the rationale behind it. The British Dietetic Association refused to tell her if it had any evidence for it.

“Harcombe painstakingly dissects obvious statements such as people are fat because they eat too much and exercise too little and demonstrates they are based on a mixture of prejudice, myth and bad science.

“Her thesis is that dietary advice changed in the late 19070s and early 1980s towards promoting starchy foods. At the same time there was an explosion in processed foods containing sugars, trans fats and other nutritionally weak but fattening ingredients.

“The final fatal element was that government action has been compromised because the food industry has far deeper pockets and helps fund both ‘independent’ groups such as the British Nutrition Foundation and the very departments supposedly regulating them.https://www.theobesityepidemic.org/reviews/

Marti33 likes this.
  2. Cortez32

Cortez32 New Member

Thank you for sharing

3. Richard Payne

Richard Payne New Member

Climate:
    heat
    Obesity has been a very common problem. People should check their diet so that they do not gain much weight.

4. Bryant RedHawk

Bryant RedHawk Junior Member

Arkansas Senior Appraiser
    Climate:
    USDA zone 7b,8a.
    Nice review, thank you for doing that. Here in the USA the Obesity problem is multi-faceted and it is partly the fault of government agencies that side with corporations who's bottom line seems to be their real focus instead of public health and well being. The SAD diet is one rife with carbohydrates, sugars, GMO produce and things created from those GMO produce items along with very bad fats. Fat is necessary for humans to be well, but those fats are from things like olives, coconuts, true nut oils and even lard can be a good fat. The fats that are used in processing foods are not these good fats and so they compound the problem. Humans did not eat grains all year long prior to the industrial revolution except in the form of bread, but the grains that made those ancient breads were not high in gluten, nor were they genetically engineered to withstand spraying with glyphosate or other poisons designed to kill "weeds" or bugs. To correct the problems in the SAD diet the public will need to understand that the foods they are eating are just as bad for their health as smoking, until that happens the rate of obesity, heart attacks, strokes, and most other issues that have started to be experienced will only continue to rise. The public has become the target of money mongers and sadly they seem to be very willing to be the victim as long as they can have food that taste good, regardless of how few nutrients that food contains.

"Diets" have been shown, many times, to almost never work, people "go on a diet" but that instills in their subconscious that they will one day get off the diet. It is a life style change that is needed.

5. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    SO and I were just talking yesterday about how people on the typical American processed food diet are, in a way, starving to death while they eat more and more attempting to get the nutrition their body needs.

6. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    I cant help noticing that Kiwis have got fat. I happily, am not one of those.
    But still, we used to laugh at the 'Fat Americans'.... and now we have fat Kiwis as the new norm,who consider it normal to be that way.
    One thing I noticed when I started eating fruit and (mainly) veg straight from the garden, was that I did not seem to need to eat so much as I used to in order to feel full.
    I dont think it is just processed an GMO foods. I think it is also that the land is being stripped of lifeforms that help feed the plants.
    All the chemicals that are poured on in order to get the crop to harvest , no returning organic matter back to feed the soil.
    The result of which is plants that look, feel and smell right but have inadequate nturients to fed us properly... and so we (they) eat more and more and of the wrong stuff beause it supposedly tastes better.

I cant help wonder at what point does the land simply give up and produce nothing?

7. Bryant RedHawk

Bryant RedHawk Junior Member

Arkansas Senior Appraiser
    Climate:
    USDA zone 7b,8a.
    I concur Bill, studies of the nutrient density of foods in the US shows that just about any food, including items we would think couldn't be reduced in nutrient values, are going lower and lower. I think it is due to the broad spread use of "fertilizers" which do not contain all the building blocks that are needed by plants to really feed us nutrient value. We have also noticed less and less taste in fruits and vegetables because of the growing methods now used for commercial production.

Mischief, It would seem we have hit that point where, as you mention, the land has given up and everything might as well be hydroponically grown. At least then people will know there isn't any nutrient value since everything I taste that is hydroponic only tastes like water. Sugar is one of the main culprits, bad bacteria in the biome want more and more of it since that is their food of choice. This creates a situation where the mind says "More Sugar" and we comply by eating more sugar, which in turn feeds the bad bacteria which take over the gut biome. That creates a situation that allows cell to mutate and replicate (cancer), clinical studies have shown that sugar is a prime food for cancer cells and that removing it from the diet, helps greatly in cancer cell death. Gives real meaning to the "You are what you eat" saying.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016