The new look

Discussion in 'General chat' started by Grahame, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

I keep going to look for the site navigation, you know the bit that has 'Board Index, General Chat', etc. so you know where you are, but it's not there. Now I have to use the back button even though I don't necessarily want to go back. Maybe I browse weird, but I'd like to see it back please :)

2. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
    Re: The new look

And while we're here ;-)

Can we have a discussion about the mapflags. I think they're really the wrong look for this forum. They're too nationalistic, bordering on jingoistic, for a forum that is actually international. And they're completely unnecessary IMO (they just link back to the forum). Why are they there?

Thanks to Nate and whoever else has been involved in the redesign. I know a lot of work goes into things like this that isn't always apparent.

3. Flying Binghi

Flying Binghi Junior Member

If they take one star of the Oz flag will that make ya happy... :lol:

methinks they got the scale and placement wrong - Should put a larger Oz above yankyland..... :axe:

4. nate_taylor

nate_taylor Junior Member

I'd rather go without the flags, myself. Apart from philosophy, they are a design problem because on low screen resolutions the US covers up the search

The loss of navigation linkage at the top was a casualty of messing with the CSS when trying to get it out from under that water drop. I agree that it's a pain.

Thank you all for your feedback. Perhaps a new template design is in order.

5. buff orpington

buff orpington Junior Member

i agree with nate the flags look daggy

6. Salkeela

Salkeela Junior Member

A globe might be nice..... I might even see N.Ireland then. I like the inclusive nature of a view of earth from space. The bigger picture and all that.....

Over here in N.Ireland all flag waving is seen as making a statement of some sort. To avoid controversy I avoid flags. 8)

7. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:

Nate, I'm not clear what you are saying. Can you remove the flags?

8. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

Can the pixels on the waterdrop be reduced ?

I think the Maps are referencing the PRI AU and PRI USA links to the left of them. I'm guessing if there was a PRI NZ there would probably be a flag map of NZ as well.

9. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:

And if there was a NZ flag I'd be asking for that to be taken off as well.

Yes, they're connected to the two PRIs, but they don't link to them. And those flagmaps are used on the PRI sites, where they make some kind of sense. eg the Australian flag is on the PRI OZ site, presumably to help people easily tell it apart from PRI USA.

But here they just shout out AUSTRALIA, and USA, and I can't see the point. They don't shout out PRI AUSTRALIA or PRI USA, they're redundant in that sense.

Salkeela's point about flag waving is excellent. I didn't want to go there about the US, but in case it's not obvious, the US flag is not simply a national ID, for many in the world it's associated with some really bad stuff.

Like I said in the other thread, this is an international forum (or so I thought), and those two flags are exclusionary.

10. kerrip

kerrip Junior Member

Hi all

I have to say that if we are taking a vote. I would say that the banner is terrible and would have to be started from scratch. I don't like anything about it. I don't feel it represents what the site is all about and I am positive that someone could come up with something incredibly better without too much of an effort.

I hope I'm not offending the artist, but really, it looks as if not too much thought went into it at all.

Kerri

11. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

I have to say i probably agree with you Pebble. Has anyone considered the possibility of a globe ? I remember someone mentioning something similar before :shock:

An animated gif perhaps. Globe turning around showing all countries.

12. frosty

frosty Junior Member

I agree with NO flags ! Thanks Pebble for mentioning it :D

I was still deciding whether to leave the forum quietly or say something if that is the way it is going

frosty

13. nate_taylor

The design and maintenance of this website is mainly a volunteer effort seperate from the PRI. Murray is the one in contact with Geoff and they're both really busy. This site is under constant bombardment by spammers that the moderators and I are filtering them out on a daily basis so new members can still get in. The forum has been hacked a couple times and if feels like its decomposing as much as its coming together. So design decisions are not made so much as they just happen when we get the chance. I certainly have mixed feelings about my own flag, but I assume that the flags were meant in a spirit of togetherness and not pride.

Your guys' feedback is important to the design. I'm open to taking the flags down, but it's not my call ultimately. I'm also open to completely redoing the template for the header. I would like to see some more feedback from our members. Or if one of you has experience with phpBB3 code please help out!

14. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:

Thanks Nate, for the work you are doing and for letting us know.

I think if the maps were taken out, the banner would do in the meantime until another one can be designed.

15. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

Well, since I opened that can of worms I may as well put in my two cents about the flags...

I don't like them either, I think they are a bit too glossy and for some reason I don't really think of glossy when I think of permaculture; glossy makes me think of supermarket fliers and Better Homes and Gardens magazines. :?

16. nate_taylor

I'm going camping for a week. I hope y'all can survive with the header as is until then.

17. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)

Hey Nate,

Camping in August in Arizona? Sounds HOT! Enjoy!

Everyone,

Regarding the header, it sounds like there's a consensus that the "flags" need to go. Given this is an international forum, and for the sake of simplicity, would it be possible to merely remove the two flagged countries and leave the existing background? The underlying background depicts the Earth. The water drop implies that crucial resource. The background still would tie nicely into the PRI website. The "earth from space" panorama implies a planetary-wide interest.

I've found that it's often easier to obtain forgiveness than permission. I will submit that this is a case where we can collectively make a group choice and follow-through.

What does everyone think? To keep from having to do a complete redesign, would keeping the existing header without the two "flags" be acceptable?

Thanks for your inputs.

Bill

18. Salkeela

Salkeela Junior Member

Sounds good to me...

I like the panorama.

19. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Gets a yes vote from me too.

20. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:

I can live with that too Bill. It seems like a good solution given the nature of the resources.