The Need for a Movie -- not a Documentary

Discussion in 'Members' Systems' started by Frank Antonson, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Frank Antonson

Frank Antonson New Member

I have come to believe that an entertaining "winning" "real" movie is desperately needed to not only promote permaculture ideas but also in a sense to "save the planet" for humans. I don't mean a documentary, because such would be too much like work for the viewers and not reach enough. I mean a "real" and popular movie. You know, with characters and a plot. How does one accomplish that? I am certainly not sure, but I have found myself shamed into trying (and I have been trying hard), A wordless movie (hence immediately international) and set in Portugal, though it could be elsewhere.

I would love ANY feedback. I have made a very long playlist on my Youtube Channel "Frank's School". If anyone is willing to give it a look and tell me, I would much appreciate it.

Here is where to start.

Bryant RedHawk likes this.
  2. Bryant RedHawk

Bryant RedHawk Junior Member

Arkansas Senior Appraiser
    Climate:
    USDA zone 7b,8a.
    For any movie the place you start is with a story. Once you have the story written, it is much easier to change it to a script. You need all the same things as a Novel, a plot, hero, antagonist, fill in characters. Perhaps the best way to introduce permaculture would be to have one of the characters be a permacultureist. I would not make the main character this individual, but have the main character meet this permacultureist some where in the story line and give enough time to develop the ideas of permaculture into a sub plot of the story.

People who go to movies want to be entertained (as you hinted) they don't make a habit of going to movies to learn something.
    If you make the learning part of the story line of the movie, it will go over much better than if you adopted a "teaching" method into a movie.
    The main character might meet the "farmer" and through some interactions the farmer might invite them to his home and then you could develop a second story line that focused on what all the farmer does and how he treats the land, animals, etc. as observations related by the main character, either through internal thoughts or by questions and answers or perhaps even just dinner time conversation would be how the dialog gets introduced and coagulated into scenes.

3. Bryant RedHawk

Bryant RedHawk Junior Member

Arkansas Senior Appraiser
    Climate:
    USDA zone 7b,8a.
    I forgot to mention that I am working on a new novel series that incorporates my permaculture life in the form of a farmer who grows incredible tasting foods (both vegetable and meats) and the story revolves not around this fellow but rather around others who are the main characters. The farmer ends up joining the main characters through their becoming house guests and the main character is asked to teach the others his knowledge of the world, in turn the farmer has to teach his "secrets of farming such wonderful tasting food" to his house guests.

It is an indirect way to give the reader very real food for thought as they entertain their minds through reading. The readers will (I have feed back from my test group) learn the methodology and reasoning behind the methods as they go through the chapters. My audience is the High Fantasy crowd, members of which tend towards being educated beyond a BS/ BA degree. According to my agent, this is my target group, now that I've switched from writing for magazines to giving the great American Novel a shot. I must admit that I am enjoying not writing about fishing or hunting in a "how to" format. Now I get to let the imagination go where it wants to go and write those "dreams".

When I started the project it was intended to be a single book, now it has blossomed to the point that it will be at least a trilogy and might need even more. My books tend to be 600 to 700 pages per book, I consider this to be the edge of a readers toleration limit for a book, longer would be tedious to finish, shorter would not be considered a novel but rather a novella. the folks that have read the first three chapters have all asked for more to read for me. All have also mentioned that they read the three chapters in a single sitting because they could not bring themselves to put it down. (A great sign that I am writing well)

In a way, this series will do a lot of what you indicate you think the world needs. Perhaps that is a sign that my new works will be not only accepted but might even become the new "Harry Potter". Now that would be interesting as well as profitable. I do not hold on to "day dreams" but if one does dream as one should, then acts upon those dreams so they become reality, then one could surprise themselves.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
    songbird likes this.
  4. Frank Antonson

Frank Antonson New Member

Thanks so much for your input. It sounds as if you are trying to do much the same as I hope for. Well, in my case, I have some hope of an artist to make a story board, and of singer/songwriter to begin a soundtrack. I feel that a movie -- and especially a wordless one -- could reach more people. Good luck! And keep it up.