The Isa Browns, the Bush Turkey and the Corgy

Discussion in 'Breeding, Raising, Feeding and Caring for Animals' started by permup, Oct 9, 2010.

1. permup

permup Junior Member

I wanted to share a lovely story with you.

A bush turkey took up residence at my Dad's place about 6 months ago. Making itself right at home, it started to terrorise the chickens and trap them into their coup, not letting them come out during the day. It then decided that chicken eggs were very nice and started eating all the eggs. It also made sure that every tree in sight was dug up, with roots exposed to ensure maximum destruction.

This all turned my father into Wylie Cyote, who has, for the last 6 months layed traps, built sling-shots, tried to catch it in netting... you name it, short of a stick of TNT, he has tried everything to get rid of that turkey, to no avail.

Then one day, the door to the chicken run was left open, and his corgy dog, Willy, got in. The bush turkey was up to its usual tricks, and the dog scared it off the chickens, relegating it to the top of the block of land. The chickens all huddled around the dog for protection, and now Dad lets the dog in the chicken run every day to protect the chickens and guard the eggs. If the turkey gets too close to the chickens, they quickly run back to Willy for safety.

2. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

That's worth sharing... If the scrub turkey turns up at my place again I might be booking a session with your Willy! (oooo that's not quite the way that I wanted it to sound!)

3. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year
    Great story Paula a great little "guild" I think.

4. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

ha ha ha ha slip of the toungue with willy

I got a jack russell who used to raid my hen/duck house,

Then one day i realised she wasnt after the chooks she was after the scraps etc that id feed them with with,no wonder she had a pot belly for the first 6 months of life lolol..

Jack russells have a fearsome reputation with anything small running around etc....

She more scared of chooks then they are of her..... But the crows and magpies dont know she a scaredy cat...

Tezza