"The Fort Knox of Seeds": A backup copy of biodiversity

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by murray, Jun 25, 2006.

1. murray

murray Junior Member

One hundred nations are collaborating on building the world's largest seed bank -- a storage facility for 2 million different varieties of plant life.

It'll be located in frozen Svalbard, up in a section of Norway located above the Arctic Circle, and it'll be hermetically sealed with a couple of feet of concrete. The idea, as the Washington Post reports, is to provide a backup copy of our biodiversity -- so when the planet gets schmucked by a nuclear holocaust, an asteroid strike, or global warming, we can reboot and try again.

[​IMG]

Apparently there are already lots of seed banks around the world, but they're all pretty insecure and have collections that are really incomplete. "Svalbard is meant to be the bank of last resort," said Pat Mooney, executive director of ETC Group, a Canadian civil society organization focused on food security. "It's where you go if you can't go anywhere else. It's the backup for the whole world."

2. Mike_E_from_NZ

Mike_E_from_NZ Junior Member

Pardon me for being cynical. What is more secure? Thousands of seed saving groups and local gardening/farming. Or one big compound with (a comparitively small amount) of seeds that only a few (elite) people will have access to.

I think this is a 'bad' thing.

Mike

3. murray

murray Junior Member

just passin' the info along.. ;)

4. Cornonthecob

Cornonthecob Junior Member

It's both. Good and Bad.

Would be very interesting though to know Who/What will really be in control.

It's a wonder they haven't started promoting GM crops as being able to withstand 'a nuclear holocaust, an asteroid strike, or global warming'.

:)

5. Mike_E_from_NZ

Mike_E_from_NZ Junior Member

Good and bad?

Riddle me this then.

Stephen Hawking suggests we should build a moonbase because we are killing the earth. Read the post on hope ( https://forums.permaculture.org.au/viewtopic.php?t=2537 ) carefully and tell me whether this is good or bad.

Then come back to this. If there is hope for us in this vault, then there is just that little less reason to do anything else.

If they had said they were building it so that a few elite people could have the seeds, then that would be okay. At least it wouldn't be raising false promises and giving us that little less reason.

Are you part of a seed saving group?

Mike

6. Cornonthecob

Cornonthecob Junior Member

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Though the first is more bad than good.

The world is full of doomsayers. Maybe we'll see a re-emergence (sp?) of the good old sandwich boards promoting 'the end is near!'....who knows.

Whilst there is a lot wrong in/with the world.....I will always hold faith. I've seen the best and worst of mankind, and will always believe that 'good' will prevail.

But if mankind was to, one way or another, be 'removed' or 'remove' himself...I doubt anything would shed a tear for him. We're only important in our own minds.

And yes........I belong to a seed savers.

:)

7. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

I must admit to only growing fruit tres for majoity of my Permie excistance
    I do grow veges occasionally just to keep my hand in...

This comming Year and from now on Ill be bying NON hybrid seeds...
    and will become a commited Seed Saver from now on....

I also a bit susspicious of a seed bank collected by the powers that be...Maybe we could get one going for us sothern hemispherians

Teza

8. Douglas J.E. Barnes

Douglas J.E. Barnes Junior Member

Steve is becoming increasingly nanners. A few years ago, he said that we need to work on genetically modifying humans for greater intelligence so we won't become slaves when Skynet becomes self-aware.

The way to go is not destroy the planet we have - the one that actually has an atmosphere.