The day it all comes tumbling down

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by insipidtoast, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Ludi

Ludi Junior Member

Ok, problem with that is this bill seems to authorize US military to detain anyone anywhere, not just in the US, so there are no hills to head to...... :(

2. MelMel8318

MelMel8318 Junior Member

Oh I got the head for the hills part. The problem is that this bill allows them to arrest and detain you no matter what hills you are in. You no longer have to be on US sovereign soil. We don't like Joe's politics over in Country B? No problem, call him a terrorist and lock him away for good. That's what this bill allows. Not just here in the states. This makes me nervous because the President no longer needs to declare a state of emergency, get anyone's approval, or be held accountable to anyone regarding this. He can now use the military to do what the Intelligence agencies cannot do without a the risk of Senate hearing committee.

3. insipidtoast

insipidtoast Junior Member

You can't run from the banker takeover of the world. This is the mega-elite competing with each other to be the last-global tyrant standing. It should be obvious to everyone by now that the U.S. has been taken over by offshore bankers who want to impose a one world government with taxes paid to a global central bank. The U.S. constitution was an obstacle to the megabankers, now that that obstacle has been "legally" obliterated there is no such thing as the United States of America. The entire world is a "battlefield." Live or become a slave or die. Those are the choices. There are no hills to head to. We must fight this high treason by making everyone we know face reality and break the obstinate, head-in-the-sand trance most people seem to exude. This is meant to be like any other dictatorship in history...only on a global scale with a technological veneer.

4. Ludi

Ludi Junior Member

I think this is what Occupy is doing, among others.

5. annette

annette Junior Member

UPDATE

There Goes the Republic
    Posted on Dec 15, 2011

By Robert Scheer

Once again the gods of war have united our Congress like nothing else. Unable to agree on the minimal spending necessary to save our economy, schools, medical system or infrastructure, the cowards who mislead us have retreated to the irrationalities of what George Washington in his farewell address condemned as “pretended patriotism.”

The defense authorization bill that Congress passed and President Obama had threatened to veto will soon become law, a fact that should be met with public outrage. Human Rights Watch Executive Director Kenneth Roth, responding to Obama’s craven collapse on the bill’s most controversial provision, said, “By signing this defense spending bill, President Obama will go down in history as the president who enshrined indefinite detention without trial in U.S. law.” On Wednesday, White House press secretary Jay Carney claimed “the most recent changes give the president additional discretion in determining how the law will be implemented, consistent with our values and the rule of law, which are at the heart of our country’s strength.”

What rubbish, coming from a president who taught constitutional law. The point is not to hock our civil liberty to the discretion of the president, but rather to guarantee our freedoms even if a Dick Cheney or Newt Gingrich should attain the highest office.

Sadly, this flagrant subversion of the constitutionally guaranteed right to due process of law was opposed in the Senate by only seven senators, including libertarian Republican Rand Paul and progressive Independent Bernie Sanders.

That onerous provision of the defense budget bill, much discussed on the Internet but far less so in the mass media, assumes a permanent war against terrorism that extends the battlefield to our homeland. It reeks of a militarized state that threatens the foundations of our republican form of government.

This is not only a disaster in the making for civil liberty but a blow to effective anti-terrorist police work. Recall that it was the FBI that was most effective in interrogating al-Qaida suspects before the military let loose the torturers. Under the newly approved legislation, that bypassing of civilian experts will be codified as a routine option for a president.

As The New York Times editorialized, the bill “would take the most experienced and successful anti-terrorism agencies—the F.B.I. and federal prosecutors—out of the business of interrogating, charging and trying most terrorism cases, and turn the job over to the military.” Not only has FBI Director Robert Mueller III opposed this shift in the law, but so has Defense Secretary Leon Panetta, who previously ran the CIA.

What’s alarming is not just that one pernicious aspect of the defense spending bill, but the ease with which an otherwise deadlocked Congress that can’t manage minimal funding for job creation and unemployment relief can find the money to fund at Cold War levels a massive sophisticated arsenal to defeat an enemy that no longer exists.

Throwing $662 billion, plus hundreds of billions more in non-Pentagon “security” programs, at what that other great-general-turned-president, Dwight Eisenhower, condemned as the “military-industrial complex,” with its tentacles in every congressional district, is an act of absurdity in a world bereft of a serious military challenge to the United States. Not even the best-funded terrorists can afford aircraft carriers.

There is simply no militarily significant enemy in sight, yet we spend almost as much on our armed forces as the rest of the world combined, and are already ludicrously superior in military might to any rogue power, like Iran, that might threaten us. The hawks who attempt to justify Cold War levels of spending on advanced weaponry by reviving “Red China” as a formidable enemy are undermined in their argument by China’s sharply limited regional force projection. The real leverage that China exercises over U.S. policy options is not military but rather economic and derives precisely from the fact that we have gone into debt to those same communists in order to fund our irrational military spending.

Military spending is rationalized with patriotic froth, but it is driven by the unfortunate fact that it is the most reliable source of government-funded profits and jobs. It is an obviously inefficient use of resources as a means of lifting the overall economy compared with building infrastructure and training workers for the jobs of the future, but don’t count on Congress or the president to change that dynamic anytime soon. The White House’s five-year projection of defense spending aims not at the one-third budget cut initiated by the first President Bush in response to the end of the Cold War, but at a “flattening” of military expenditures between 2013 and 2017.

We had every right to expect President Obama to stick to his word and veto this bill, not as a means of forcing a much needed bigger cut in government waste, but more urgently because its assault on the Constitution’s requirement of due process represents a direct threat to the freedom of the American people every bit as menacing as any we face from foreign enemies.

6. MelMel8318

MelMel8318 Junior Member

Well ain't that just ducky! :shake:

Time for those who took the oath to protect the Constitution from enemies both foreign and DOMESTIC to start looking at the domestic threat. We no longer have to worry about the rest of the world, our own so called leaders are doing more damage than they ever could.

Oh yeah, the rest of the world? Watch out, our President now has the power to label you a terrorist and drag you kicking and screaming from where ever in the world you may be and lock you up in the new Château d'If called GitMo! He also has the power to throw away the key and ensure you, as well as us, never see the light of day again none the less actually get a trial.

Mars anyone?

7. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

The ACLU has a petition for this, they are already gearing up for the lawsuit incase Obama does not do what he has already promised to do. I pray he has the courage that Truman had since this isn't the 1st time this similar law has been pushed by war mongers.

On a side note, I am confused that the military admits to doing psych war games on our own senators and congresspeople in order to get more money every year, and yet we re-elected them. Think about that.

8. annette

annette Junior Member

what a topsy turvy world it's turning out to be. While a lot of countries have protested to get democracy, Eygpt, Tunisia etc, most western democracies seem to be becoming more dictatorial. Elites have captured the agenda in the west. Look at Europe and the taking over of sovereign countries. USA and these laws that go against all sense. I'm not into conspiracy theories as such, but it seems strange that because a depression may occur, the US wants to have the right to detain people anywhere anytime. Do you think they know what's coming and most of the populous are oblivious to the hard times down the track? Is this why they want to lock people up? hmmmmmmm

9. annette

annette Junior Member

Well Obama signed off on the bill last Friday. It wasn't announced in the media and as far as I can find out was only written in the New York Times and then it didn't elaborate on what it all means. Anyway there are reports that the banks do not have enough money to give to people. Apparently the banks in the US now have to report to the feds how much people want to take out of their bank accounts and what they will be using the money for. Believe it or not it's true. Now if the banks declare a holiday and you can't get your money, this Act will allow the military to step in and lock you up if there are riots because people can't get their money. Economic marshall law is on the cards people.

10. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    The constitution...."Thats just a bit of paper" GW Shrub.

The dream ends and the nightmare begins.

I finds it really sad that the so called champions of democracy are the ones pulling it to pieces.

11. purecajn

purecajn Junior Member

Self Employed / Semi-retired
    Climate:
    Sub-Tropical, Zone 9
    It is what it is I'm sorry to say. What's worse is that a whole lot of people are once again going to have to suffer needlessly in order to bring the change needed. Unless of course the aliens step in and straighten every thing out :)

12. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Anyone catch the
    hack" that occurred over the Christmas Holiday? Shame that the group Anonymous & the hack had nothing to do with the real problem; the NDAA law which the news hasnt even touched on. I researched that supposed youtube video about the group and they didn't talk about the hack. When hackers start using mass media to point out a problem.... ..well, draw your own conclusions. Find the video yourself.

All I keep thinking is this is just like the transition period from WW1 to WW2.

At this point I welcome alien visitors.

13. insipidtoast

Maybe the aliens are already here and have been here for a while. Google the name "David Icke" with the word "Reptiles". Keep an open mind. I personally think he's a bit looney - don't let that influence your opinion. He makes a good point by saying not to automatically dismiss things that we know nothing about. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctIpUmJjkAs

I've been to the Amazon and spoke with a black shaman who told stories of being attacked by pink dolphins and dragged down through the water into the underworld. It makes you wonder...these shamans talk about seeing plant spirits and similar things. Their filter of the world is obviously radically different than my own. It just bugs me how western civilization touts their filter as the only valid filter without investigating and teaching people how to unlock the different levels of perception.

14. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

I'm not belittling you here, I just feel a need to make this joke...

...ayahuasca is a hell of a drug.

Seriously though, only recently did scientists discover the eyes "see" with 8 other pathways into our brain that have nothing to do with the visual information we believe is reality. What else are we filtering out? Those childhood "imaginary friends" perhaps? Who knows?

15. purecajn

purecajn Junior Member

Self Employed / Semi-retired
    Climate:
    Sub-Tropical, Zone 9
    thx for the lesson of shaman juice. me thinks me will try and grow some for purely ethical reasons of research

16. Finchj

Finchj Junior Member

Ayahuasca. I've heard that if it is to be used, the village makes sure to be as silent as possible. Dogs are muzzled. The experience is so powerful that many precautions are necessary.

17. insipidtoast

18. insipidtoast

19. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Senior Member

Over 80% of Australian resources are foreign owned they will be protected by their owners.
    We waste billions on our military.
    I would be more worried if everyone had a gun,no gardening skills and were really angry that the American Dream doesn't exist anymore.
    Plant more pumpkins.

20. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

I'm planning on learning Mandarin...