The "Blue Revolution"

Discussion in 'News from around the damp planet' started by purecajn, Sep 4, 2011.

1. purecajn

purecajn Junior Member

Self Employed / Semi-retired
    Climate:
    Sub-Tropical, Zone 9
    Saw this video on utube the other day concerning the "Blue Revolution" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqTHA9yFqbQ It starts out explaining the riots around the world are behind the uneven distribution of wealth, food, etc.... then turns into a plug for Floating Nuclear Energy Plants from Russia to be used for small developing nations an how the power will be used for re-greening the desert by desalting ocean water. With the mentioning of dates it sounds like some of this has already been decided on as future projects. If so then so much for Permi-Planning on re-greening as it seems the Corp. World is planning on brute forcing their ideas onto the landscape once again.
    A number of things bothered me from the video. (course I am a bit paranoid anyway) When desalting large bodies of water, what happens to the separated salt? is it dumped back into the water? If their planning on using saltwater from the ocean in the future isn't this going to increase the salinity in the oceans? Will the increase in salinity destroy habitats for some sea creatures. The oceans being polluted with all the Nuclear waste (Dumping, sinking Nuclear powered water vessels, even the floating Nuclear Plants) can only get worse, so how do you separate Nuclear waste from the ocean water.

I'm also curious as too if this "revolution" an actual movement being pushed by the Corp. Entities in order to overthrow local government so that they (Corp Entities) can gain more control of the area. Maybe this is part of what T. Boone Pickens was referring too in his interview https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pI6BMmmpsTM. He's moved on from oil and is now in the fresh water business.
    Anyway, looking for more opinions.

2. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

Saltier water does not help the oceans but many desal plants try to disperse it via many pipes. With untold billions being born in the next decade (i don't think India and perhaps even China know how many citizens they have) water is going to be more important than oil

Certainly the disparity between rich and poor is getting bigger everywhere. You don't have to be a genius to make money if you have money.
    In Australia wages vary from $300 a week or less to $3,000 or more.
    The "Gini" index/coefficient apparently measures this movement
    https://www.yumasun.com/opinion/people-72737-inequality-income.html

Read more: https://www.yumasun.com/articles/people-72737-inequality-income.html#ixzz1X6FnVKFj
    https://www.hedged.biz/index.php/in...estment-outlook&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=63

Some companies are making massive profits and CEOs getting massive salaries. In the States, I am told, corporate profits are the higest since 1945; yet there is massive unemployment and an inability to collect taxes from the biggest companies (see GE for example).

In the UK the areas the young rioters came from had 50%-60% unemployment and many, if not most, youth centres and support had been closed down.

Still by world standards even the poorest person in Australia is better off than most, although all wealth is socioculturally based/relevant and doesn't seem to make us happy anyway. Although not having to worry about money or where the next meal is coming from does.

It would need a brave politician to promote floating nuclear reactors; even the new "safer"? thorium, gravel bed ones.

3. purecajn

purecajn Junior Member

Self Employed / Semi-retired
    Climate:
    Sub-Tropical, Zone 9
    OMG, 50-60% that is freaking insane. As for the Floating reactors, I'm sure one of these small undeveloped areas will be bamboozled into buying into their jargon. My god, what is this word going to come to, or more importantly how soon?
    Well I for one have my priorities in line and will vent my frustration in the garden.

4. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Yes, an increase in saline content.. from which ever salt causing it, will in fact crate havoc on the same if not worse scale as cyanide fishing (which still goes on) or dynamite fishing (which sadly also still goes on). Entire island nations have destroyed themselves using the above methods, using a floating nuclear plant is just asking to destroy the ocean completely, as well as the rest of life on the planet.

5. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

Melting freshwater ice vs increased salinity from desal. Is the spreading of salt in a smaller area the issue? Would there be a noticeable impact on worldwide salt levels if the ice is completely melted, or is that like a drop of freshwater into a bucket of saltwater?