The Black Sapote / Chocolate Pudding Fruit

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by PDB, Nov 25, 2007.

1. PDB

PDB Junior Member

Can someone tell me how long it is before my Black Sapote (Chocolate Pudding Fruit) will bear fruit. And where can I get some "Tansy" from?
    Thanks

2. Mrs Parker-Bowles

Mrs Parker-Bowles Junior Member

Hi there PDB,

I can't help you out with the black sapote but, I would certainly recommend wwww.daleysfruit.com.au/forum (if members here can’t of course).

Tansy – Are you after plants or seed?

You can get seeds from both https://www.edenseeds.com.au and https://www.diggers.com.au

Regardeners,

Jodi

3. elliceh

elliceh Junior Member

I have a black sapote that i got from tropical fruit world in northern nsw. I think from memory it was about 3-4 years before you will see any fruit. I have since killed mine so I wont know until i get another one!!

MMM black sapote and ice-cream bean.... :D

4. albero

albero Guest

Black Sapote - Chocolate Pudding Fruit

Our Black Sapote took about 3 years to start fruiting...I think they usually from from November to April depending on where you are (we are at Valla Beach near Bellingen). However, some varieties fruit throughout the year. Hope this helps :0)

5. caldera

caldera Junior Member

this is my new favourite fruit

the ice-creams at tropical fruit world are almost better than sex

handy hint ~ they are ready to pick from the tree when the little flower calyx thingy that connects the fruit to the tree raises or curls back !

this is my little newphew eating his first organic black sapoté straight from the earth

[​IMG]

6. PDB

PDB Junior Member

Thanks

thats good, not long to wait then. Good to see little guy likes his fruit.

7. Duckpond

Duckpond Junior Member

my Sapote has been in for one year and has grown only 100mm. what soil/conditions do they like or is it too cold in Perth?

8. PDB

PDB Junior Member

Hi Duckpond
    "These trees prefer well-draind, moist soil, with ample water in growing season and being brittle, need shelter from strong winds. retated to the persimmon." Mine took awile to start but is doing well now and in my Botanica says you are the same Zone as me. I was given it by a old work mate who lived not to far away and used to get alot of fruit of his. hop this helps.
    Paul