Texan in Villacastin, Spain

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by robbob, Jan 11, 2013.

1. robbob

robbob Junior Member

Hello everyone, I am a Northamerican with a Spanish mother, dual citizen. I live outside of Madrid and am 36 years old. I am planning a farm with Permaculture design in Villacastin, Spain which has a cool temperate/cool Mediterranean, if I am not mistaken. The farm has been a meat cattle farm for many decades and now has 120 cows and they need to buy feed and not making any money. They are on 500 hectares and they cant feed 120 cows. There are hardly any trees or anything else for that matter, other than some grasses and shrubs, especially on the slopped hills. There are abundant water feeders for the cattle, but no dams or swales, which is what I plan to establish, little by little due to financial constraints. I would love some pointers if anyone can help regarding seeds, plants and any other advice would be much appreciated.
    The land isn't mine, it is owned by very close friends, and due to the Spanish housing market crash, I don't have money to pull from. My friends will invest some to help with the swales and so on, but not much, if I am not mistaken.
    I am planning on incorporating many animals, including dairy cows, sheep, hens, pintade, ducks, geese, fish, yabbys, and other things. I want to make a food forest, and have more trees and shrubs.
    I would love any help with what seeds and plants would be good and any contribution would be treasured.
    Thanks,
    Rob

2. matto

matto Junior Member

G'day Rob,

Great opportunity you have there. Following Joel Salatin's pastured meat chickens and eggs would compliment the grazing system very well. The combination benefits the health of both animals as well as the ecosystem you are working in. Essentially, you are getting paid to fertilise the paddocks with nitrogen. Holistic Management, along with time controlled grazing will undoubtedly turn this farm around. I would suggest tree fodder species like Las Canarias infamous Tagasaste to supplement the diet of the cattle in dry periods. Other quick growing fooder belts can be established along existing fencelines until they are old enough to be included in a grazing plan.

Being close to Madrid will definately open up some direct markets for any commercial operation.

If you havent too much experience in broadacre design, contact Jesus Ruiz at www.lineaclave.org he owns a Keyline Plow and has extensive development and educational experience around Spain. https://www.permacultureglobal.com/projects/1270-la-caraba are doing a food forest and there might be others on the Permaculture Global Network.

Enjoy the journey!

3. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year
    Wow Rob - sounds like an exciting opportunity. My first task, if it were my opportunity, would be to get as much local pioneer, leguminous trees and groung covers happening. Mattos suggestions are great with as much small animal interaction as possible (fencing?)

Great luck with your project!